Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Driveway to hell for pooch

Roxy's_MA
June 7th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Edmonton Sun -June 7, 2005 By ANDREW HANON

Chris Day was still shaking with emotion two hours after he watched as a young dog's rear leg was snapped by a pipe-wielding construction worker in Spruce Grove yesterday morning.

"I have a dog of my own," the 29-year-old framer said. "I was going to bring her to work today. Am I ever glad I decided not to."

Day was the first to call police after the incident, which happened at a new home under construction at 12 Lamplight Bay where a crew of four was laying a concrete driveway.

According to witnesses interviewed by the Sun, two border collies - a 15-month-old named Viper and an eight-month-old named Bugatti - got away from their owner and ran onto the wet concrete.

After a few moments, both dogs ran back toward their owner, Michelle Eigenseher, who lives in the neighbourhood.

Eigenseher managed to scoop up Bugatti, but Viper eluded her and ran back onto the concrete.

"(The crew) were all screaming and upset," said Day, who was with a framing crew building a house across the street.

"But one guy started freaking out. It was totally unnecessary."

Day said he ran across the street to help, but as he got close, one of the pavers picked up a six-foot length of pipe and swung it at Viper.

"I was only a couple of feet away," he said. "The dog was already running away again.

"I saw him pick up the pipe and I slowed down. If I hadn't, I could have been hit as well."

Viper, who according to Eigenseher weighs 30 lbs., was left with a bone protruding from his leg. He dragged himself under a nearby vehicle.

"I could hear him scream," Eigenseher said.

Horrified, she handed Bugatti to another onlooker and ran to Viper, scooped him up and carried the wounded pooch back to her house.

"It was a total overreaction," Day said. "After it was all over, it took them less than 30 minutes to fix the damage to the driveway."

Eigenseher's husband, Danny, came home and called the police again.

After an officer arrived and questioned everyone, Danny said he was told the paving crew claimed both dogs were baring their teeth and acting in a menacing fashion.

A spokesman for the contractor building the house could not be reached for comment yesterday.

A spokesman for Spruce Grove RCMP said the matter is still under investigation.

Viper, meanwhile, was taken to Parkland Veterinary Services, where he will remain under observation until today or tomorrow.

__________________________________________________ _____________

I hope the guy with pipe gets what he deserves. I know I would have Lost it, if I saw that happen to my dog :mad: . At least the pup will be aright, physically that is.

Beaglemom
June 7th, 2005, 03:41 PM
OMG! I can't believe the cruelty some people are capable of! If that were my dog, I would have picked up the pipe and hit the construction worker. I would have lost it totally! Heck, if I were there, even not being my dog I would have swung that pipe at the construction worker myself!

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 05:43 PM
That is terrible! My father was a contractor, and I have finished concrete myself - it is not hard to smooth over foot prints - especially doggie prints that probably didn't sink very far in anyway. Someone needs to break that guy's leg with a pipe and see how he likes it! :mad: :mad:

Isisgoddess
June 7th, 2005, 08:33 PM
If I saw someone intentionally hurt my cat, especially break one of their legs, I would have totally lost it. I would have probably picked up a pipe, swung it at his leg and screamed "How the f*** do you like it a******?!?!"

twodogsandacat
June 7th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Sick. Hopefully the investigation will lead to charges.

Rita
June 8th, 2005, 07:12 AM
That's awful ... poor puppy :sad: I sure hope he's O.K.
It's bad enough that this terrible person did this terrible thing to an innocent little pup, but the fact that the rest of the crew is covering up for this guy makes me angry too :evil:

heeler's rock!
June 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM
This makes me so mad!! I would have seriously freaked on that guy! How did the owner stay so calm?? Plus, the fact that they're now saying the dogs were being "menacing" is complete BS!! Border collies are not known for their aggression, especially a 15 month old puppy!!!! I hope the owners press charges and the guy gets charged with animal cruely and loses his job. I wouldn't want someone with that kind of temper working for me! I wonder how he feels about it now that everything has calmed down. I hope he feels like the piece of ***** he is! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Writing4Fun
June 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
...but the fact that the rest of the crew is covering up for this guy makes me angry too :evil:
Oh, they're probably under orders. They've all been fed their story, and if they want to keep their jobs, they'll stick with the story they've been given. :mad: Poor puppy. :sad: I hope the police take the eyewitness accounts and lay the heaviest charges they can legally get away with.

Luvmypit
June 15th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Thats messed up. I wonder if this guy has kids. Someone should tell them that daddy broke a puppies legs.

And the rest of the guys are no better. If it was even a close friend of mine I would have cut him off for life and been the first to call police.

I wish I knew the name of the contractors company!