Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Strollers!!! Help in finding a double....

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 01:34 PM
Ok, James and I are expecting another baby, and we are starting to look for double baby strollers. I have been trying to think if a train-style or side by side would be better. Both have their negatives, but I have never been able to use either, so I don't know what one is best to have. Have any suggestions?

Here is what we are looking for:

We are looking for something affordable. Maybe under $250. And something that has alot of storage pace, and good umbrella coverage. We would prefer a 5 point harness seating. Something that will work until they are about 3 or 4. Easily manuverable (sp?)......

Thanks in advance, would like to find one as soon as possible, so I can buy it. Will be great for the days when I have Alex here as well....

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I have a side by side double stroller for my boys, and regret it its a pain to get thru most doorways, and i cant lift it well at all, first time i did i threw my back out and was down for a week.

if you get one make sure its not side by side, they may look convenient but wont fit conventional doorways, even tho mine claimed it could.

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2005, 01:37 PM
This may sound odd but I remember hearing somewhere that the army can get free shipping, is this true? If so, I have one that I will glady ship to you.
they can both sit forward facing, one behind the other, or sit face to face.

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 01:38 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2134273&cat=118136&type=1&dept=5427&path=0%3A5427%3A118134%3A118136

this stroller is pretty much what I have

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 01:39 PM
I would go with the train style and not the side by side. Side by side is too awkward to get through doorways and such. I have seen a lot of people have problems with the side by sides.

I am REALLY anti-stroller though. I will only use one when there is absolutely no other option. I plan on using baby back packs and other carriers and I will carry my baby. I hate seeing strollers at places like the zoo/museums/malls/stores. Now...this is assuming I have only one child at a time...or two adults to carry two kids.

I like these holders after they grow out of the ones you can carry in front:

http://www.onestepahead.com/images/product/detail_views_jpgs/10633D-dv-1.jpg

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM
i have a sling for the baby, and i carry him in that most times, but my back just doesnt handle it like it used too.

if i didnt ahve kids so close in age and size id agree with you rain hehe

and I also have a runner, issac shoots off like hes got a marathon to run the second you let go of his hand

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
BMD, I never heard that, but I could ask James about it. I am sure he will get a laugh out of it. It might be true, who knows......

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Some people don't agree with "baby leashes" but I think they are amazing. Some people consider them demeaning. When I have kids who are of walking age, they are getting a harness, and I'm tying it to me wherever we go. I think they are great. Not those stupid "pin to the shirt/velcro wrist accordian wire" ones, but a real leather leash. We had one for my little sister. People used to say "you are walking her like a dog" but at least I didn't have to worry about her running out in front of a car!

sammiec
June 7th, 2005, 01:47 PM
I don't know if you do much on Ebay... or at all... I don't but have started looking because baby stuff is so expensive, LOL

Here's a nice double, with 5 point harness.

http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/03/ef/31/69_1_b.JPG

Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=66704&item=3979463825&rd=1)

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I tried one of those, but diddnt find them to work as well as I hoped.

Issac would run to the end of it and it would jerk him back and he would fall.

I love that i can put them both in the stroller together, i think id loose my mind otherwise with 3 so little

i mean a 4 yr old, 2 yr old and 6 month old, can be quite a handful on good days

i got to the point when Ty was born that convenience and safety won out over the things that annoy me, normally a 3 yr old in a stroller would annoy me, now i still use one for my nearly 3 yr old

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Raingirl, we normally only use the stroller when we go for walks, or are at the mall.... We tried the carrier thing with Judith, but she can't be in one, causes her feet to turn blue, do to her condition, and the lack of oxygen she gets to her blood. And both James and I have bad backs. His isn't to the point where the Army is going to kick him out, and we don't want to get it to that point. If we didn't have these issues, I would definately prefer the front/back carriers.

So I guess I am going to go with the train style. Now anyone have a brand they prefer. I was thinking Graco.

This is the one I might get.

http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/strollers/double_strollers/4909?stage=&pXid=50&ln2i=50

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Some people don't agree with "baby leashes" but I think they are amazing. Some people consider them demeaning. When I have kids who are of walking age, they are getting a harness, and I'm tying it to me wherever we go. I think they are great. Not those stupid "pin to the shirt/velcro wrist accordian wire" ones, but a real leather leash. We had one for my little sister. People used to say "you are walking her like a dog" but at least I didn't have to worry about her running out in front of a car!

James and I are going to get them. There are ones that you can get that strap around their body. My sisters had them when they were little. Made it so much easier when we were at amusment parks......

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 01:53 PM
i like that one lilith, looks nice and sturdy wich is a definat bonus

Eleni

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Sammie, I think I will look for one like that. Looks perfect for us. Wish we had the money to buy it right now. I love the fact that the front seat can face the other way! Not only can they see each other, but if the sun is to bright facing the front, all I have to do is turn it around, and there you go. So glad I posted this topic now....And it is also within our price range. Perfect.

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM
That stroller is almost the exact one that I have. Just last years model. Check into shipping. It may be way cheaper than buying a new one and I might be right about shipping.

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Great. If it is going to be cheaper buying it from you, that would be wonderful. I don't care if it has been used. I know to actually ship in would be about $30-40. How much would you want for it? Name your price and I would gladly pay for it..... :D

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Just to note for the person who posted about ebay, often times recalled items wil still get posted, so everyone pls make sure you check the recalls before you buy.

Edit - I thought strollers were recalled, but it seems only car seats were.

Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st and Cosco Car Seats
Dorel Juvenile Products Group and National Highway Transportation Safety Administration recently announced the recall of nearly 200,000 rear-facing infant seats sold under the Eddie Bauer, Safety 1st and Cosco brand names.

The harness straps on these seats can loosen after the child is buckled in, which could mean the child is not properly restrained in the event of a crash. Seats included are Eddie Bauer 22-625 AFD GB1B, 22-625 GLC GB1B, 22-625 EDG GB1B and 22-625 MAC GB1B; Safety 1st 22-325 CMB GB1B, 22-325 VIN GB1B, 22-325 DTA GB1B and 22-325 TST GB1B; and Cosco 22-300 JOS GB1B. Only the seats manufactured between Aug. 19, 2003 and Oct. 20, 2004 are being recalled. If your car seat is registered with Dorel, the company will send a repair kit. If the seat is not registered, contact Dorel at (800-881-0570). NHTSA encourages parents to continue using the car seat while waiting for the repair kit, because the seat still provides better protection for an infant in a crash than an adult seatbelt or no restraint.
http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsandsafety/a/prodrecalls.htm

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Thanks! I think that is a good reminder for everyone......

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM
LOL you're quick, posted before i edited to correct my post :)

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Great. If it is going to be cheaper buying it from you, that would be wonderful. I don't care if it has been used. I know to actually ship in would be about $30-40. How much would you want for it? Name your price and I would gladly pay for it..... :D
The stroller is free. Consider it a gift for the upcoming baby. Now you just have to tell me how to send it, where to send it, etc.. I think packaging it will be the biggest challenge, lol.