Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seperation Anxiety

audweid
June 7th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I adopted a young, male beagle about one month ago. Everything was going well up until last week. When left alone, the dog howls non-stop and I come up to soiled carpets. I've since tried crating him. Things are a bit better. Now he only wimpers, but still pees in his crate. I've left him his favorite toy and a piece of my clothing hoping that would help, but it doesn't. Any suggestions?

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 11:28 AM
did you slowly introduce the crate? How old is the dog? Does he have anything in the crate to occupy him? How big is the crate? It should only be big enough for the dog to lay down and turn around.

Has he been to a vet to rule out any kind of urinary track infection? I would make sure that nothing medical happened first then come back and let us know.

Writing4Fun
June 7th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Hi there. Here's a recent post about separation anxiety: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15936&highlight=separation+anxiety You'll find lots of great advice there, or you can go to the search feature (on the blue toolbar at the top of the page) and search "separation anxiety" to see what others have had to say on the matter.

I know that SA isn't fun, but it is workable. My brother's dog used to chew holes in their drywall and dig through their parquet floors :eek: but they took her to a behaviourist and now they can leave her at home without worry. :)

Good luck!

Beaglemom
June 7th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Something to note is that when beagles are bored, they will howl and bay. How long do you leave him alone for? How old is he?

Try taking him for a good walk and play session first before leaving him alone. This will make him just want to nap. Then make sure that he has his favourite toys to keep him busy. I good one is a kong stuffed with some peanut butter. He will spend hours trying to get at the peanut butter.

If introduced properly, he will see his crate as a den and will actually seek it out in times of stress or when he just wants to nap or be alone.

You can help him overcome this. It will just take some time and a lot of patience, but you can do this. Good luck.

levimh
June 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
When my dog (Beagle/GSD x) was left alone he used to bark and whimper and whine. I'd come home and could hear him barking inside (in his crate). I'm not sure what I did to make it go away, but it eventually did. He has his toys in his crate, big hollow bones (that I used to fill with peanut butter) and his comfy pillow. He only goes into his crate now to sleep or if I go out and need to leave him. I don't make a fuss about leaving and I don't make a fuss when I come home.

Over time, your pup will get more used to his routine and how things work, and it could relax some as he settles in.