Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! I am a chicken!

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Justin and I have been talking and as you all know we are ready to start a family! Anyway, with the last miscarriage and all that went on and my throid and heart problem we have decided that it would be best if I quit my job and stay home. Meater and Chino will love this! ;) Anyway I am going to watch a few kids so I can still be making some money. (my money has been going to redecorationg and vet bills, etc) just odds and ins. I am going to tell my boss today and give him a two week notice, but I am so nervous. :eek: Has anyone done this and if so how did you tell him. Thanks! :) If you could send me happy vibes I would appreciate it! :) I know this is the right choice but I am scared! (I am such a chicken I hate to upset people!

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM
I was told the best way is to put it in writing. It's more professional that way. Good Luck though. I hated quiting my last job. They kept asking me to stay!

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
So write a letter and give it to him and than what. So just write it and hand it to him and walk away. :D Should I give him two weeks notice?

raingirl
June 7th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Here. This is the website I used.

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/letters/letters.asp?#No1

I would ask to speak to your boss, hand him the letter, wait there for him to read it, and then discuss. I would give two weeks, but offer more if they need you longer until they can find a replacement.

honeybee4
June 7th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Just write letter saying that you are giving your two weeks notice, two weeks is usually what companies ask for to give them time to replace you. He/she will most likely come to you later and want to know why you are leaving. Just tell them the reason, I am sure they will completely understand why you are quiting. I alway get nervous doing stuff like this too. I am not a very upfront type of person and I hate to make people upset. I always put stuff off to the very last minute because I just can't do it. Good luck :thumbs up

SarahLynn123
June 7th, 2005, 10:08 AM
I just gave my notice! Its so hard. Im not leavign until September so I can train my replacement. It all depends on the type of person your boss is. I jsut walked in and said I needed to have a chat with him when he had a spare min. His spare min happened to be right then :eek: I told him that I decided to make a career change and will be going back to school in the fall. I also asked to stay on part time if I could, he totally understood, said that he will try to keep my part time and offered to give me a good reference if I ever needed one.

It was relly tough because I have the best manager Ive ever had, if he was a jerk it would have made things easier!

You just have to work up some courage! (took me a whole week!)

Good luck!

Sarah

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks Raingirl you are wonderful! That is a great website! I am not sure which letter to use! LOL I am sure he will not be upset I am not sure why I am letting this bother me. I hate quiting something that I started. But, I have to think of my health and what is best for our family, right?

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks you all! We have been talking about this for about three months but I have not been very brave! LOL All his other Marketing Asst. have quit because of babies and I hate to go in and say the same thing. LOL Guess he is use to it. :)

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2005, 10:13 AM
I would explain my reasons for quitting verbally and then write a letter confirming resignation - without the specific reasons. BUT, if you have not already resigned by the time you read this, and your current health situation would permit you to continue working for a few months - and if you have benefits - perhaps you might continue to work, have your meds etc. paid for and resign only when it becomes absolutely necessary. I know you are in the US, not in Canada - but in Canada there is OHIP of course, but it is the company plans that are key to each situation. Perhaps if your plan allows, you could work until your doctor indicates otherwise, and then perhaps go on short term disability and then just not return after the pregnancy. We had a young lady in our office do this - went on disability at 4 months until birth of baby. Just a thought - all depends on your work situation.

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 10:16 AM
SnowDancer (love the name by the way) I do not have benefits here, they are all through hubby's work! The kids I was gonna watch are wanting to start in two weeks! Great what am I gonna do! LOL :) This is so much easier when you watch it on tv. LOL :D I know as far as when I have a baby, Justin would like for me to be a stay at home mom. :D

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Princess - That works then - if you had benefits that would have made delaying as long as possible worthwhile - particularly the maternity leave or if necessary short term disability - as you husband's benefits won't cover that. Was worth a shot. Hope that babysitting the kids won't be more stressful that working - guess you will find out. The name of course comes from the little Eskimo who LOVES to Dance in the Snow - well this was his first winter -there is always hope that next winter he won't be quite so keen. I wish you a successful pregnancy - just be very careful with what you take on.

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 10:27 AM
No insurance here so even if I went on leave for 6 weeks after we had a baby it would not be covered anyway! All insurance is through hubby and like you said his would not cover maternity leave! :D

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2005, 10:33 AM
This is sort of off the topic but not. I would suggest that the kids you are going to be watching have a backup plan as you may need to be on complete bed rest at some point and would then not be able to take care of little ones. I was very high risk and the last few months was told to be very careful about what I did. Just a thought.

Schwinn
June 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Show up naked, it'll take care of itself.

sammiec
June 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Have you thought about keeping your job until you are pregnant? I would consider staying at work until you have conceived and consult your doctor about your work environment and pregnancy before you up and leave. You may have a long time before you're able to conceive. It's extra money that you can save away for when the baby arrives! IMHO, I just see no purpose in leavng work until your pregnancy is confirmed and your doctor has suggested that you stay home!
You would probably be considered high risk based on your misscarriage, heart and thyroid... you might be better off at your job that you have now rather then running around after children all day while you're pregnant!

Luba
June 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM
I like Sam's advise! :D

As well, if you are going to leave, don't burn your bridges behind you. Set up a meeting with your boss and explain things directly. After the meeting leave your boss with the letter of resignation but NEVER just give the letter it's disrespectful.

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 10:53 AM
So you think Luba go in and talk to him and than give him a formal letter? I think Justin is wanting me to be home some to. I am gone everyday through the week and it is getting to be to much, maybe I am a baby not sure. :D

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Well you all I was brave and talked to him! I am so afarid I almost cried but it is done now so I can feel alittle better. I am gonna type him a formal letter so he can have it as well. I feel bad I hate feeling like I let people down!

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I am glad you worked up the courage to do this. Did it go well? I am sure he understands.....

CyberKitten
June 7th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I hope everything works out well for you Prioncess! I am sure you willl make a wonderful mom!
I think one should always write a letter - I would be aghast at an employee who opted to simply inform me in person.

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Everything went great! I talked to him and than wrote him a formal letter and gave it to him. They will have to have in for the main office and I will have to sign all kinds of papers saying I will not give out any info, etc. :D