Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When to neuter puppy? Getting conflicting advice.

pennynikkel
June 7th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering what people's opinions were about when to neuter a puppy. My puppy is a large breed, male, 4 months old. I have been reading on the internet, and have advice from my vet, and don't know when to neuter him.

My vet said that it is better to wait until about 8 months old, so that he can use the hormones to develop "character", and to avoid the weight gain that may result from neutering. Meanwhile, my research on the internet says that waiting for those hormones to kick in, could then result in roaming and becoming possibly more territorial/aggressive. Obviously, I don't want that to be a potential development, but what about this "developing character". I asked the vet about this, and he didn't fully explain, just that some people feel that it is helpful that way.

So, I'm sure there are many experiences out there....any opinions?

PS I should mention that he is on the shy side, which is why the mention of developing character concerns me. If waiting to neuter him would help his confidence, that would be great. Otherwise, I am seeing improvement in his shyness with continued socializing.

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 08:20 AM
my opinion, I wanted my dog neutered bfore he started lifting his leg or wanting to go after the ladies,

i wanted to prevent behaviurs that could develop as a result.

humping atc.

so at 6 months hes being neutered[hes there right now]

i think waiting for hormones to kick in is risky stuff, he may mate or develop inappropriate behaviours as a result

Eleni

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Yeah Eleni like my brother's yorkie.. that dog was neutered too late in his life..(my brother did not have a choice it was a rescued dog) anyways and even to this day he will hump everything.. major turn off.. that's one little horny critter! :evil:

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Is your vet an older person? As they have started to do altering at 8 weeks of age now and I may be wrong but the pattern of belief for waiting is somewhat outdated now.

Dogastrophe
June 7th, 2005, 08:39 AM
I got my Silky mix at about 5 1/2 mos old. When we had him in for first check up, my Vet took a look at his dingle berries and said that as they have both dropped / developed that he could be neutered at anytime.

Dogastrophe
June 7th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Is your vet an older person? As they have started to do altering at 8 weeks of age now and I may be wrong but the pattern of belief for waiting is somewhat outdated now.

I've heard of vet's spaying when very young; do you know if neutering can be done as well?

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 08:44 AM
i think its a more invasive thing to do male dogs early, its usually done when their testicles drop

sam was a slow dropper i think, his diddnt drop fully till a few weeks ago, but he was sick then and we had to wait till he was feeling better to do his.

i know neuters can be costly for dogs whos testicles dont drop or dont fully drop for whatever reason

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2005, 08:45 AM
In the usa it's starting to be a much more common occurence. In Canada, they seem slow to get on the bandwagon. Both are done in USA on a regular bases. These helps out rescue tremendously as puppies can then go to their new homes already altered and theirs no worry of trying to pin the adoptee down for an appointment at a later date. It's also much less expensive as the anesthetic required is minimal. Both males and females are done at 8 weeks of age.

Lucky Rescue
June 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM
My vet said that it is better to wait until about 8 months old, so that he can use the hormones to develop "character",

Testosterone is not a "character building" hormone, and unless your vet considers a dog wanting to fight, roam, impregnate females and pee on every blade of grass as having "character", I would disregard this. This is a very out-dated and wrong notion.

Personally if this were my dog, I would wait a little longer - maybe until 6 months.

Writing4Fun
June 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
LOL! My sister's dog, a Collie/BMD cross, was neutered at exactly 6 months old, and he has LOTS of character! I agree that this is an outdated notion and you should have your boy neutered by 6 months of age unless you want him marking and mounting everything in sight. ;)

LavenderRott
June 7th, 2005, 10:09 AM
While neutering early will probably prevent marking problems, it will not stop "humping" issues. Humping is a purely domination action unless there is an in-heat female involved. Dogs have sex instintively, not because they "desire" it.

Neutering will not make your dog fat, lack of exercise will.

There are many people who feel that later neutering in larger breeds better enables the dogs to fill out. Neutering too young may cause the dog to look "bitchy".

Since you are not showing, go ahead and get him neutered.

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2005, 10:19 AM
My primary vet's associate has a Spitz - I have an Eskimo - so very close. The associate told me 7 months would be the time to have him neutered - this was at age 4 months. I followed her judgement as her mother raised Spitz dogs and it all worked out well. I also watched for signs of "something" to neuter - had to look under all that fur - felt like a pervert.

Princesss04
June 7th, 2005, 10:23 AM
Chino is 7 mts now and we are still waiting to see if his "man parts" will drop if not in the next month we will have to get it done anyway! He is never away from us or outside with out so it is not a big deal but something that will be done in the next month whether his two "friends" have done any dropping action or not! LOL :eek:

BeagleMum
June 7th, 2005, 02:39 PM
We had Spencer done at 4.5 months. He had just started humping things and we wanted to catch him before he lifted his leg as well. Believe me, he already has a lot of character and is still squatting. Also, the humping doesn't happen as much either.

MIA
June 7th, 2005, 09:30 PM
I neuter as soon as the dingleberries start showing! Character smaracter, the dog will be the same, there is not always weight gain!!!

Here's some good information:

http://www.minpinandshibarescuebc.com/neuter.htm

Prin
June 7th, 2005, 09:58 PM
No, the dog will NOT be the same after loosing his jewels. He'll be BETTER. More sociable, more friendly, less irritating, less running away, less peeing everywhere, less humping (I believe this-- not neutered males hump EVERYTHING. Dominant castrated males hump sometimes but certainly not as often).

NEUTER your doggy! You won't regret it. :)

raingirl
June 8th, 2005, 10:27 AM
I was reading some of the other OP's posts, and I beleive her dog is a large mastiff..so an extra large breed. DOn't know if this will make a difference, as I understood that mastiffs have a few different requirements.

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
I neuter as soon as the dingleberries start showing! Character smaracter, the dog will be the same, there is not always weight gain!!!

Here's some good information:

http://www.minpinandshibarescuebc.com/neuter.htm

:crazy: Actually, you can leave the Vet knowing that your pup weighs a couple of ounces less than when he went in! We actually weighed ours before and after ... he came in at 9.9 lbs and left at 9.75 lbs. :crazy:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I was just over on the UK site that I visit, and they are doing a poll on spaying and neutering and the majority of people are against it! I answered and said I would definately have my dog spayed or neutured. This is what I wrote.

Well in Canada it is pretty much expected that you will spay or neuter your dog. Especially if you are not planning to breed. There are some people that don;t know alot about breeding and think it would be fun to get their two same breed dogs together, I personally think this is a bad idea as they may not know the history of the dog, or they could even be related. There is also lots of mixed breeds in the shelters here, so here we want to keep the dog population down as there is already too many that need homes. I definatley plan to spay or neuter my dog. Which I hope I will be getting sometime soon.

The response was irresposible pet owners would not spay or neuter their dogs anyways, and a responsible dog owner should have the right to have their dog "entire" or not fixed. I personally wouldn't want to risk a male dog coming over our fence, or may male dog sneaking out to find some female then dealing with all the unwanted puppies no thanks.

coppperbelle
June 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Hunter was neutered at 6 months and still at 18 months squats to pee. He does not run, hump and is not in the least bit heavy. My next male will also be neutered at 6 months.

Prin
June 13th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Remember that thread a while ago about the dog who was marking the wife's leg? :eek: I said it before, I like 'em better neutered. Much better.

nymph
June 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
This is a really dumb question: where are the dingle berries? How would I know if they are "dropped"?

MIA
June 13th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I call testicals dingleberries! LOL You can see them if they have dropped!

Eleni
June 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
they are kinda hard to miss, if you roll the dog over they will be at the base of his penis right in between his back legs

Eleni

nymph
June 13th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Are they side by side or one after another? How big are they? small egg? cherry? grape? or peanut?

taket
June 13th, 2005, 10:52 PM
You have to be kidding me.

~

Prin
June 14th, 2005, 01:24 AM
heh heh. This is better than the threads describing the stools... :D

coppperbelle
June 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM
Are they side by side or one after another? How big are they? small egg? cherry? grape? or peanut?

Depends on the size of the dog. A large dog will have golf ball size while a Yorkshire Terrier's will be the size of a grape.

Eleni
June 14th, 2005, 06:14 AM
heh heh. This is better than the threads describing the stools... :D

information is power right!!

lol i think its great that on this board you can ask those embarassing questions and people will give you the actual answers without makign you feel dumb.

btw sams were more the size of cherries i guess

the vet can tell you if your dog is good to go for his neuter, thats the best way to find out hehe and you dont need to feel like a perv for rolling the dog over and taking a peek LOL

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 14th, 2005, 07:42 AM
lol, I hadn't been back to this thread but have now had a good giggle. It went from when to size, hehehe. :thumbs up

nymph
June 14th, 2005, 09:10 AM
They are hiding behind a patch of fur, about the size of a cherry. :p

Luvmypit
June 14th, 2005, 09:24 AM
I got capone nuetured at 6 months and I could only imagine if I didn't what kind of nut he would be. He has soooo much personality and character. Definately lost nothing from being neutured at 6 months. And he was a humper at first but now at 2 hasn't tried to hump anyone for about 6 months to a year. He marks every where still while on walks and just recently started to lift his leg on but isn't afraid to squat either.

It sounds like the general consensus here is 6 months is ideal.

pennynikkel
June 24th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Hi there,

One followup question...I've decided to get him neutered before the hormones start flowing. Now that his testicles have dropped, does it mean that now is the time? Or what exactly does it mean now that they've "dropped"?

Sorry...a bit clueless about this! :D

kandy
June 24th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Dropped means you can see them. They are basically 'inside' when the pup is young, when they 'drop' then you can see the testicles, and it's time to have them fixed. They say to wait until you can see the testicles so that the vet doesn't have to go digging for them. If you can see em - make the appointment! :)