Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

huby just dropped sam off for his neuter

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 06:43 AM
and I have a problem som wont fit in hsi cage with a cone on his head

its only a problem for bedtime tho,

so i was thinking of transitioning him to sleeping on a mat on the floor of my room anyhow

should i expect that he might mess on the floor since hes never had freedom at night?

he does have freedom in the day, all day and doesnt mess anymore

any thoughts?

Eleni

coppperbelle
June 7th, 2005, 07:07 AM
He should be fine on the floor if he has been clean in the house. I am sure he will be more comfortable being able to stretch out after the surgery.
By the way I only use the cone if they lick their incisions. I never had to use it with Hunter.

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 07:14 AM
sam is without any doubt a licker, im 90% sure they will want a cone on him.

the cat scratched the inside of his leg awhile back and he was forever lickng it.

your right about him wanting to stretch after surgery, i hadnt even thought of that.

poor dog i feel bad for him but know its for the best.

hes not gonna be a daddy hehe

i bought him a soft new blanket to lay on hoping it will help him a little

Eleni

doggy lover
June 7th, 2005, 08:04 AM
I'm sure he will be fine in your room just close the door to keep him in, he will go to the door and whine or scratch if he wants out. I used the cone on Tucker at night also but his cage was big enough and only for the first week he was fine.

Maxam
June 7th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Nera started licking her incision and now it's opened up. It's off to the vet this afternoon to get it closed up and for the cone. :(

Writing4Fun
June 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Phoebe started licking before we even got out of the vet's office!

He should be ok on the floor by your bed. The first night, he's probably going to be pretty stoned anyway (Phoebe was so out of it, she actually peed all over herself and didn't even wake up! :eek: ). Just make sure he can't get out of your room, put up a baby gate or something, he should be fine. :thumbs up

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 11:54 AM
my door clasps shut pretty good, should i put newspapers under his bed just in case??

i wonder if he will be too stoned to wake me up if he feels the need to go outside

Eleni

Luba
June 7th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Sometimes you'd be surprised they just dont' feel like licking atleast the first day :D hope it all works out!

Karin
June 7th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Sometimes you'd be surprised they just dont' feel like licking atleast the first day :D hope it all works out!

Exactly! I would not worry too much about it. In extreme cases of too much attention to the area a little roll-on underarm deodorant applied around, not on, the incision will stop the licking pronto.

MollysMommy
June 7th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I don't know if I'd try the deodorant. Molly loves deodorant and licks my armpits as often as she can. Go for the cone. Molly tried desperately to lick her incision from her spaying, but we kept a close eye on her.

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
hehe I phoned this morning to see when we can pick sam up,

apparently hes wide awake and snuggling with one of the office ladies, what a charmer.

hubby will pick him up on his way home from work.

they did need to put a cone on him, and hes playing the sympathy card for anyone who will give him love LOL

what a suckiebutt

Eleni

Princesss04
June 8th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I am so glad that Sam is okay! Oh they will play that card as long as you will let them. I remember when we got Meater fixed he laid there and moaned like he was dying. LOL You would lay beside him and he would be fine you would get up and there he would go again. :D

SnowDancer
June 8th, 2005, 11:26 AM
My Eskimo did not need a cone - BUT forget trying to convince him that he had to "take it easy" for 10 days - little "dancer" that he is. I did not take him to his weekly socialization though for 2 weeks - I always listen to the doctor - and even if I had been so inclined to ignore advice - kind of hard to do when socializer is located behind our vet - entering through same front door. But my guy was double trouble during the 10 days. Hope Same is a little calmer - at least his legs are shorter.