Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kids and car seats

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 7th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Here is my rant for today!
When I am out and about in my vehicle I usually see at least a half a dozen parents with their kids not in car seats, in the front seat, or with no car seat, not even a seat belt. I don't now if they parents are uneducated on the dangers of not using car seats and booster seats, or they don't care but it is quite appalling. I know they should be in a carseat until 40 pounds or until your head reaches the top of the back of the seat, then they should go to a booster seat after that until they are about 80 pounds some manufacturers say more some say less. :mad: :)

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 06:40 AM
all 3 of my kdis never go anywhere without their carseats,

Hopes 37 lbs and in a booster,

Issac is 27 lbs but very tall so hes in a booster as well

Ty is in a 3 in one that goes up to 40 lbs
btw i beleive the law is carseat till 40 lbs or the right heigh and not sure if booster till 80 lbs is the law or not, but it should be
i made sure all my family knows how to use the seats, and my kids arent to leave the house in a vehicle without them

why someone wouldnt preven injuries or deaths from a car accident is beyond me. But I tell ya id be devastated if my neglgence cause my childs injury or death

im all for prevention

Eleni

Sneaky2006
June 7th, 2005, 06:51 AM
I can't stand to see children not in car seats either! Just last year an old friend of mine from high school was killed in a car accident along with her 2 kids. She wasn't wearing a seat belt, the kid in the back wasn't in a car seat and the other kid she was holding in the front! Only survivor was the husband.
My 9 year old (54lbs now) was in a booster until last year... we have a new law they have to be in one till they are 8, I don't know the weight minimum though.
Some people just don't get it! :mad:

happycats
June 7th, 2005, 07:17 AM
I think they just changed the law here to 80 lbs.
My son is still in a car seat (he is 50 lbs) and his car seat goes to 100 lbs.
I don't know why any parent would compromise their childs safety! dumb, dumb dumb, I feel sorry for those kids :sad:

Writing4Fun
June 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Only survivor was the husband.
:sad: Oh, my God! I can't begin to imagine how that man must feel now, but just thinking about it brings tears to my eyes. Your whole family, your whole LIFE, wiped out in one blow, and you're still alive to deal with the pain. :sad:

Yes, they just made it law in Ontario for children up to 80lbs to be in a booster. My kids are ALWAYS buckled into their car seat/booster. It boggles my mind why people wouldn't do this. I saw a car load of people once heading down our main, very busy road, clearly it was three generations of a family. Well, the five adults were all sitting in their seats, but the children - one of them was on Grandpa's lap, and the other looks like he was sitting on the hump on the floor. :mad: What is with people?!?! :mad:

Schwinn
June 7th, 2005, 10:04 AM
I was in a serious accident when I was about 7. No seatbelt, and I was sitting on my knees. My head destroyed the windshield, and the only thing that saved my was the heavy hood on my parka I just happened to have up. The Dr said if I didn't, I would have died. If I'm driving down the highway, and I see kids jumping around in a car, I call the cops. Don't want any kids to wind up like me, do we? :crazy:

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 12:26 PM
My uncle has a scar that runs across his face, from ear to ear, from going face first through a windshield. Of course, this happened when he was a child, long before they had laws about seat belts, let alone car seats for kids. My son was always in his car seat, although he thought it was great fun to unbuckle the harness. He would undo it, call to me, and then let the armrest pop up to show me that he had unbuckled it. I would pull over, close the buckle and as soon as we started underway again, he would undo it - took me forever to get anywhere! I see people all the time with kids running loose in minivans or SUV's, although I know that the cops in our town are getting really strict about it - so if you let your kids run loose, you better hope that a cop doesn't see it because the fine is pretty hefty!

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Well, you guys can be happy that our family is a seat belt family. I do admit that I really never wore mine, until James and I were together, but for those past 2.5 years, I don't even go 3 blocks without putting it on.

What really upsets me is sseing a child only a year or two not in a car seat! How outragous! Just meaks me want to slap the parents across the head. Our children are always going to be properly buckled in, even if they complain about it. I would rather listen to them complain the entire time, than them end up getting hurt, if we got into an accident!

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 03:35 PM
The Ontario law has changed to state that the kids must be in a booster seat until 80 lbs or they are 4' 9".
I saw this frightening statistic from Toronto over May 2-4 weekend. 85% of car seats were installed improperly.

lilith_rizel
June 7th, 2005, 04:42 PM
The Ontario law has changed to state that the kids must be in a booster seat until 80 lbs or they are 4' 9".
I saw this frightening statistic from Toronto over May 2-4 weekend. 85% of car seats were installed improperly.

Your post just reminded me. My younger sisters were teasing my sister, Joanie (20) about this. She is only 4 foot 8. LOL

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 05:26 PM
LOl I havea friend that is 4' 10" she just passes! (shes only 90 lbs)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 7th, 2005, 09:48 PM
My mom drives me nuts when it comes to car seats. She thinks they are a complete waste of time. She says she would just put my kids on her lap and put the whole seatbelt around both of them. When we visit them I wont let my kids go in my dads car as it is an older one and only has the lap belts in the back, my moms is 4 seater honda element so the kids go in the car seats and I squat on the floor illegal I know but better me than them. Whenever she sees me strapping them into their carseats she just rolls her eyes at me..and we never had car seats when you were a kid and nothing ever happened to you yadda yadda yadda.....We are planning to go to Mexico with them next winter and when I mentioned the carseats she said they don't use car seats in mexico. AAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Sneaky2006
June 8th, 2005, 06:08 AM
I saw this frightening statistic from Toronto over May 2-4 weekend. 85% of car seats were installed improperly.I totally believe that! You should have to go through a class or something!
One time when my son was 3 months old, my MIL wanted him for a few hours to show him off. She brought him back home, all nice and tucked properly IN the carseat, but she never hooked the carseat in the car! It was just sitting on the seat. I was so pissed off! :evil:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 8th, 2005, 06:18 AM
Actually I have to be careful because my four year old will undo the seat belt that attaches the car seat. He is ready to graduate to a booster seat now so I will have to go out and get him one.

I believe the law in BC is must be in a car seat until 40 pounds then after that a booster seat is reccommended but optional, I choose the booster seat until 80 or 100 pounds whatever the weight is.

There is a mom and school she has her 7 year old in the front with no seat belt her other 2 year old is actually in a car seat in the back, She has all her windows rolled up and she is smoking. Her right to smoke but come on in your car with your windows rolled up/ :yuck:

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Actually I have to be careful because my four year old will undo the seat belt that attaches the car seat. He is ready to graduate to a booster seat now so I will have to go out and get him one.

Try the "Graco Turbo booster" I LOVE it, its great (I tried 2 others and nothing compared to this one)
I alway go to http://www.epinions.com/ before I buy anything now and thats where I found out about the graco turbo booster.

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 06:34 AM
you can have a police officer or the fire department check your seat intallation for you,

all you need to do is call them and make an appointment, they will see if its installed proper, and if it isnt they will shoow you how to do it properly.

wehn we had ours checked the baby's wasnt done right :eek:

but they showed us what we did wrong, and helped usfix it

Eleni

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM
i second the graco turbo booster too, we ahve one and its been great

Eleni

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM
My mom drives me nuts when it comes to car seats. She thinks they are a complete waste of time. She says she would just put my kids on her lap and put the whole seatbelt around both of them. When we visit them I wont let my kids go in my dads car as it is an older one and only has the lap belts in the back, my moms is 4 seater honda element so the kids go in the car seats and I squat on the floor illegal I know but better me than them. Whenever she sees me strapping them into their carseats she just rolls her eyes at me..and we never had car seats when you were a kid and nothing ever happened to you yadda yadda yadda.....We are planning to go to Mexico with them next winter and when I mentioned the carseats she said they don't use car seats in mexico. AAAAGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Actually (in Ontario, at least), only individuals under 16 MUST be in a seatbelt. Beyond that, all seatbelts must be used, and if there are none available, then it is legal to not have a belt on. I remember this from my days of crammig 7 people in my Civic while in high school.

And I love the stupidity of using the resoning that "nothing ever happened before" (sorry, but this irks me. I had the same argument with Cheryl when we first met). Yes, you are right. I have not been killed yet. As soon as I am, I will start wearing my seatbelt. As I always say, I'd rather have you laugh at me than have me prove you wrong.

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 09:03 AM
My MiL doesn't believe in seatbelts, and often rode with her other grand children on her lap :eek: . My son has NEVER been in her car, for that very reason!! :) . My parents on the other hand had a bolt (to anchor car seats) installed in both cars, as soon as my son was born :) .

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Eleni - The police were checking car seats over may 2-4 and thats how I got that statistic.
They advise any parents to get the car seat checked out.
We cana ctually just drive up to our OPP office here, no appt, to have it checked. Theyt are just happy ppl are doing it.
my friend did get hers checked.. and alas, it was not installed correctly.
I like my car as it has those universal clips by the seat belts in the back.. so you don't use the car seat belt. I think these became standard after 2002.

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Eleni
I like my car as it has those universal clips by the seat belts in the back.. so you don't use the car seat belt. I think these became standard after 2002.
Yes I heard about that, and I believe it's called "LATCH" system.

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM
I have to install our car seat this weekend, and I'm amazed at how complicated it is to find the right seatbelt configuration. The actually installation is pretty easy, it's the long list of seatbelts you can't use! I remember telling Cheryl that you'd practically have to buy a new car if it was more than a few years old! I don't think the Civic has the new clips, but it appears it will fit. What I'd really like to find is a car seat that fits into the back seat area of an extended Ranger. Then I'd get to keep the RED RANGER rather than have Cheryl trade it in on a mini-van. *sniff* :( I haven't tried installing it in the middle of the front seat yet, but since I drive standard, I don't think there is enough room. Anyone know of anything to fit?

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 12:33 PM
What I'd really like to find is a car seat that fits into the back seat area of an extended Ranger. Then I'd get to keep the RED RANGER rather than have Cheryl trade it in on a mini-van. *sniff* :( I haven't tried installing it in the middle of the front seat yet, but since I drive standard, I don't think there is enough room. Anyone know of anything to fit?

Sorry Schwinn, I guess your just going to have to accept the fact that, you're getting a mini-van! http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

You could always call "pimp my ride"

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
OR maybe.....................

Eleni
June 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM
lol a souped up mini van could be the new craze

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/ROFLMAO.gif

Bearsmom
June 8th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Schwinn, can you post pics of the interior of the truck? I'm qualified to install carseats and may be able to suggest a certain type to you to help you out.

Best trick I came up with was to tell any kids in the car that the vehicle will not start unless seatbelts are done up. When they demanded to be shown, I'd just turn the key to accessory, and say, "see?"

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Actually, that second one is a truck. As for the "pimped out van"...I saw a couple of weeks ago a mini-van with dual exhaust, 18 inch rims and low profile performance tires. Sounded like it was done right without any "silly" accessories...exactly what I want to do to both of our vehicles. I love customizing for performance. I looked at it, and my first thought? "Still a van". One of my buddies was talking to me about "souping up" a van, and how it would be fast and handle well, and said, "What would you say to someone who just kicked your butt in a race?". "I'd pull up beside him at the next light, look at him, It's still a van." Yup, my hatred runs deep for mini-vans.

Bearsmom, I'll see if I can get a picture up in the next few days. I don't think there is much that can be done with a standard car seat. The back has jump seats which a car seat won't fit into, so it'd have to be some kind of apparatus that attaches to the floor. Cheryl refuses to ride in the back, so I might just have to relegate myself to the back seat for trips to save my beloved RED RANGER. (For some reason, every time I read that, RED RANGER echos in my head...see, there it goes again!)

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Actually, that second one is a truck.
It's actually a little ford ranger extended cab! It used to be this sorry little red truck,
That picture is after they "pimped it out"!

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
It's actually a little ford ranger extended cab! It used to be this sorry little red truck,
That picture is after they "pimped it out"!

That's right, now I remember. I thought so, but the custom grill threw me off.

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I used to have one like that (not the pimped out version) I believe they changed the shape in 1993. I had a 92. So that one could be 92 or earlier.

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Okay, here's the pictures of the back seat of the RED RANGER. The only way that I would be able to put a baby seat in there is if there a special seat that attaches to the floor. As you can see, the jump seats face sideways, so that would not work. I could easily build something, but I know it has to be approved by the government safety agency (fair enough, and rightly so!).

Schwinn
June 8th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Here's another view with the jump seat in the down position.

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 09:08 PM
There is a guy down the street from me that has a crazy looking van. He's a young dad, crazy paint job ,rims all that fun stuff ( i am NOT a car person)
I have to admit that we still laugh at him though... who soups up a mini van?

Happycats - my friend keeps calling the LATCH 'U.B.S or U. Something. Something." lol so i thought it was called that. Just tried to research and it seems that all the manu's I have found call it LATCH. *bows to you* you are correct.

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Happycats - my friend keeps calling the LATCH 'U.B.S or U. Something. Something." lol so i thought it was called that. Just tried to research and it seems that all the manu's I have found call it LATCH. *bows to you* you are correct.

I only know because my friend just recently had a baby, and I went with her to pick out the car seat, ,the store clerk explained the LATCH to us :o

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 10:06 PM
My friend is HAVING a baby and was reading the manual but.. i dunno. I think she may just be insane, pregnancy does that. lol
Regardless, I won't need to buy a car seat for a long time.. lol by the tim i do, LATCH will probably be replaced with something else.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 8th, 2005, 10:13 PM
I have argued this point until I am blue in the face with my mom she is just so set in her ways she thinks its still the 1940s shes 84 years old. I just roll my eyes back at her and tell her its the law and strap my kids in. This is one time where mother does not know best.

And I love the stupidity of using the resoning that "nothing ever happened before" (sorry, but this irks me. I had the same argument with Cheryl when we first met). Yes, you are right. I have not been killed yet. As soon as I am, I will start wearing my seatbelt. As I always say, I'd rather have you laugh at me than have me prove

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 8th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Safyre I think expire after five years so your right to wait.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Hey Schwinn why dont you look into those straps they use to strap in wheel chair they are mounted to the floor. I used to work with people in wheel chairs and would help them get strapped into the van, it could be possible to rig something up that could anchor the seat, you would need a latch for the tether strap, then one going through the car seat that could be tightened up so it would be secure. I would go ask at a place that puts in wheel chair lifts in cars, or maybe a medical supply store could refer you to one. Just tell them a crazy lady on pet forum told you.

Okay, here's the pictures of the back seat of the RED RANGER. The only way that I would be able to put a baby seat in there is if there a special seat that attaches to the floor. As you can see, the jump seats face sideways, so that would not work. I could easily build something, but I know it has to be approved by the government safety agency (fair enough, and rightly so!).

Safyre
June 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
opoh, that brings up one of my other pet peeves ... ppl that use REALLY OLD car seats.
I was at my friends place and saw a guy using a seat that i swear i remember from 10 yrs ago. is that even safe anymore? i doubt it!!
Researchbulls - lol i wasn't planning on buying one anytime soon, no worries.
First to find the bf.... lol

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Researchbulls - lol i wasn't planning on buying one anytime soon, no worries.
:eek:
First to find the bf.... lol
I could see how having the car seat first could scare off any potential boyfriends.!!!!!!!!

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 06:41 AM
my baby seat is 4 years old, ive used it with all 3 of my kids

as far as i know as long as a seat still matches the safety standards and has never been in an accident then it is ok to use.

people should NEVER buy a used carseat, because you dont know if its been in an accident, and once a seat has been in an accident it HAS to be replaced, even if it was not damaged. according to manufacturers instructions

Eleni

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 06:43 AM
I was told, they passed a new law that makes it illegal to sell a used car seat. They are supposed to be thrown out when your child out grows it!

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Schwinn: You cannot install a baby seat in those jump seats. You will need to install the seat in the front seat, and turn the airbag off. If you cannot turn the airbag off individually, I hear Chrysler and Ford have minivans on sale..... :p

Eleni
June 9th, 2005, 07:24 AM
wow ive never seen a seat like that,

I second what bearsmom said, you cant install a baby seat there since they wont be facing backwards, and thats really important.

Eleni

happycats
June 9th, 2005, 07:32 AM
You may be able to install the baby seat in the middle on the floor!(anchor it to the floor)
I would call your ford dealer, and ask if it's possible, when it comes to babies safety, I find they are extremely helpfull :) Good luck!

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 07:59 AM
You may be able to install the baby seat in the middle on the floor!(anchor it to the floor)
I would call your ford dealer, and ask if it's possible, when it comes to babies safety, I find they are extremely helpfull :) Good luck!

Nope nope and nope, carseats cannot be installed on floors of vehicles, it's extremely unstable.

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Schwinn: You cannot install a baby seat in those jump seats. You will need to install the seat in the front seat, and turn the airbag off. If you cannot turn the airbag off individually, I hear Chrysler and Ford have minivans on sale..... :p

Oh, aren't you cute?? And they are, Cheryl pointed out last night that "Wow! That's really cheap, eh?" "Still more than I'd pay".

I know there is nothing that you would be able to install in the jump seats. Because they are sideways, that'd be extremely dangerous. And no worries about me not putting safety first. My wife thinks I'm a safety Nazi. She finds it ironic that a guy who always risks getting my neck broken while mountain biking is so safety conscious. I was hoping there would be some type of seat you could by that would anchor to the rear floor. And yes, I'm grasping at straws here...I know I'm probably out of luck. Guess I'll volunteer to ride in the jump seats. Should make the 4 hour drive to Windsor interesting.

I'm going to have to read how the jump seats work for kids, because booster seats won't fit in the jump seats, and it is designed back there for kids (the drink holders are drink-box shaped).

Oh, and I do have an air-bag shut off. It's currently turned off now for when Daisy is riding, or Cheryl. I thought air bags were bad for pregnanat woman, but last night I didn't see anything that said that. Anyone know?

Bearsmom
June 9th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I heard that when I was pregnant, too, but the theory is that there's sooo much fluid around the baby that they're fairly protected anyways. I'd rather have an airbag hit me than a dashboard.

Somehow I just can't picture you jammed into a jumpseat.