Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Products to keep dogs from chewing

MollysMommy
June 6th, 2005, 09:38 PM
So all along I thought Molly was doing really well about just chewing on her toys and she HAS BEEN until today. While my boyfriend and I were at work and she was in the kitchen (very large kitchen), she chewed through a cord. This scares the crap out of me because she could have electrocuted herself and then I would be devastated. While I plan on moving all wires out of her reach, what is something I can put on them as a secondary precaution? Does apple bitter work? Is there anything else you can suggest. This goes for anything else she might munch on. I think she was just lonely because she is having a hard time adjusting to being left alone. She's very attached to both my boyfriend and me.

BeagleMum
June 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I have used Bitter Apple and it worked well for me. If that doesn't work, you can always try tobasco sauce. I had to use that to get my cat to stop chewing on the kitchen table.

SnowDancer
June 7th, 2005, 03:47 PM
You can try the bitter apple - it didn't work for my Eskimo. After all, the prize was worth a little initial bad taste - for which he seemed to acquire a liking. He also is partial to tabasco sauce.

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I have also heard that rubbing cayenne pepper on the cord will keep them from chewing it. Don't know if it works, have never tried it. Good Luck!

jessi76
June 8th, 2005, 01:19 PM
I recommend Vick's Vapo-Rub. Rub it along the wires.

Dogastrophe
June 8th, 2005, 01:31 PM
I use the bitter apple and have also found that Alum powder (used in pickling) mixed with some water works well (it may/will leave a chaulky residue on carpets and the like as it evaporates). Also just a sprinkle of the powder may also help out. I use it in dry powder form on surfaces that the bitter apple may evaporate from quickly (such as on parts of my deck surface ... my two youngest think that removing or trying to remove the knots from the deck boards is the greatest game in the world)