Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

info on great danes

april21h1
June 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Hi

My BF had a great dane/st. benard X when he was younger, he is thinking of getting a great dane(if he can convince me) in the next year or so from a shelter or rescue. I was wondering if anyone knows a good website about the breed or has personal experience with danes.
I got a few questions if someone can answer them,
Are danes good with kids?
Are they good with cats or other animals?
Do they require more exercise they mid-sized dogs?
Are they only loyal to one person or everyone?
Are there any breed specific(SP) diseases?
Are they easy to train?

Sorry if any of these questions sound stupid :confused: . I never had any dogs bigger than a lab mix growing up. I just want to know some more about this breed before I let him convince me. :rolleyes:

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Are danes good with kids?
The majority of Danes are fantastic with children.
Are they good with cats or other animals?
Danes have very low prey drive so most are good with other animals.
Do they require more exercise they mid-sized dogs?
They require no more exercise than a medium sized dog.
Are they only loyal to one person or everyone?
Danes are real family dogs and bond with the family as a whole.
Are there any breed specific(SP) diseases?
Danes can have several health issues. They are prone to bloat which is the number one killer in Danes. They can have hip and elbow issues. They can have skin problems, etc. They are no different than most xlarge breed dogs.
Are they easy to train?
Danes are bright, alert and eager to please. With patience and consistency they train well.

There are several Dane owners on the board so I am sure they will be able to add to this. I must say they are one of the tops on my extra large breed favorites.

Cactus Flower
June 6th, 2005, 09:05 PM
This is a wonderful website:
http://www.greatdanelady.com/

Yes, they behave well with kids, but due to their massive size, and the injuries that their tail can inflict, I would NOT recommend them for a household with small children. A dane can knock a full grown adult over by just romping past them in a hurry- imagine what they could do to a child (especially if they jumped on them!).
Also, they are best in a household where someone will always be home, or where you can afford doggy daycare or a dog sitter if you are going to be gone. They are very emotional dogs, and tend to suffer from seperation anxiety. Not all of them, I'm sure, but the three that I know personally (including mine) can't be left alone for any substantial length of time, and much of the information that I found when researching danes suggested that it is a trait of the breed.
They especially don't do well if left outside. Despite their size, they are inside dogs.

That said, they make wonderful pets, train easily- and I wouldn't trade my dane for any dog in the world.

The website I gave you should answer all of your questions, and more!

Edited to add: Mine is very much a "one person dog", but I know of others that love everybody. It has been suggested that the females are more "one person", and the males more accepting of everyone, but I'm not sure enough (or experienced enough) to have an opinion on that.

Daniac
June 7th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Ditto what the previous posters have said.

Danes are the only breed I've had as an adult and I will always have one, or two..

My females have all been very easy to train and rear, my male has been a bit of a challenge though. For a first time owner I would definitely go with a female.

Here are a couple of additional links...

www.ginnie.com
www.danesonline.com

april21h1
June 7th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Thanks to all that gave me info. I got some researching to do.

Danny W
June 8th, 2005, 09:21 AM
If you are willing to spend 80-90% of your time with a Dane then I would say go for it you will not be disappointed, they are the most loving and caring of breeds!They have a fantastic temprement and are so elegant,The male exudes masculinity while the female is nothing more than feminity on four legs,They are the Apollo of dogs!!

But PLEASE choose wisely,

Good luck and enjoy THE best friendship ever,

Danny