Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

WOW. Major Advice Needed

Safyre
June 6th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Has anyone ever seen a dog jump 17 ft from a second story window? Ever heard of a dog doing that before?

I need some MAJOR advice here. This is NOT about my dog, but about the Siberian Husky Meeka, owned by neighbour Jen.

Meeka jumped from Jens second story window, through a screen tonight. She ran and took an hour to find her, luckily, with no injures that we could find.

After calming down, I asked why Meeka has not been crated, she has taken to ROLLING her crate, with herself in it. She moves her crate all around the room, no matter which room she is in. She tears adoors apart when left in a room.

I looked at her crate tonight, realized that it is not long enough (tall enough, but not long enough for Meeka to lay in)

How can we keep her from rolling her crate? What type of crate would be best? She has demolished her wire crate? Would plastic be better?

I realize that Siberians are excape artists, but jumping out of a second story window seems a bit extreme... how do you keep her calm?

I have posted about this dog before, and for anyone that hasn't read or doesn't recall, this dog was rescued from being pts by the owner, because he 'didn't want her anymore' She was left outside by herself 24 hrs a day, never given attention.

Any one that is good with Siberians, or dogs at all, please reply, I have no idea how to help her.

april21h1
June 6th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Thank goodness the dog is ok. I know what you are talking about we have a husky and she loves to escape. :eek:

I asked my BF, he owns the husky, he said the only thing he can think of is a steel crate.
Greta was gotten from my BF when she was about 5 years old. She is quite the escape artist when she wants to.

pamha
June 6th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Our chow/husky mix went through quite a few screens when she was younger, one time through a 2nd floor window- we were lucky it opened onto the porch roof and once she realized where she was, she went back in :rolleyes:
We had to make sure all our windows were never open more than about 2 inches, although one time she did go through glass :eek: no injuries thank goodness.

Is the dog doing this all the time, or just when its left alone? There are several threads on here that discuss ways of overcoming separation anxiety. It sounds like she will have to get a heavier crate for the dog`s safety and maybe find some way to anchor it.

We ended up keeping our dog outside when she had to be left alone. Not the ideal solution, but our fence is good and the latches are hard to operate; by this time she was big and scary looking enough that noone who didn`t know her would think twice before entering the yard. We were lucky too that she isn`t a jumper.
As she aged, Maggie became less and less anxious and is able to stay inside most of the time now. Once in awhile though if she thinks we`ve been gone too long, we`ll still find her upstairs hiding by our bed (she is 13 now and rarely trys to tackle the stairs). We should have worked on this long ago instead of working around it. I wish we would have crate-trained her from the begining.

If your friend can work on the anxiety and get a better crate she`ll save herself and the dog a lot of stress. Its really hard having a dog that has separation anxiety AND is an escape artist!

Safyre
June 6th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Right now, the crate is tiedt o a post... and there is a circular scrape on the concrete floor from her running the crate in circles around this post.
She does not have a fenced yard, and for this reason, cannot leave the dog outside. When the dog is left alone outside, she runs to the end of her leash and jumps, looking like she is going to break her neck.
Untill I posted, I didn't realize that it was a seperation anxiety. I'm wondering if it just seems worse because Huskies like to escape.

The window she jumped from is 17 ft to a BRICK patio, which we are pretty sure shel anded on. She still seems to be fine, not swelling or anything yet...keeping a watch on her though.

mona_b
June 6th, 2005, 10:46 PM
I am so very gald to hear she is ok.She should have actually been taken to a vet to get checked though.

It's not really that Huskies are escape artists,it all about training.My sister has 3,along with a Border Collie.They are on a farm.None are tied up and none of them have ever tried to take off.One is 9 and the other 2 are eight.This breed needs tons of exercise.The Alaskan Malamute is really no different.We went horseback riding on Sunday.And on the farm they had a 15 week old female and an adult male.Neither were tied up.They had their freedom and roamed around.

Safye,how much exercise is she getting?You say that she is tied up alone in the back.Do they take her for a long walk or a run?How long is she left alone.Be it outside or crated?If they don't have a fence up,then why don't they put up a run for her?

Safyre
June 6th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Let me explain the whole situation here. Meeka was adopted by Jen at 14 months old, after being tied up in the owners backyard for her entire life. Never allowed inside, and was going to be pts for no reason.
Jen thought by taking this dog, she was going to give it a better life. She has no Siberian experience.

We live in Co-operative housing, townhouses. No one is allowed to have a fenced backyard, and your own backyard is very small, any other area is considered a 'common' area. There is no way to create a run for her. This is RGI (Rent Geared to Income) housing for the most part. This owner has does not have the money for an emergency vet visit, which is why Meeka was not taken to the vet tonight. I know, I woulda preferred she had been, but this is the situation I am in, I cannot fight it. Only try to deal within it.

I realize that Meeka does not get enough excersize, this is part of the problem. This dog has issues when it comes to behaviour, does not listen on lead, does not react to food for training, I am at my wits end of how to help her. Meeka spends only about an hour a day tied in the backyard with no attention, and this is so that jen can bring her kids to school or to go shopping, any other time, meeka is free in the h ouse with her. because she does not listen on lead, Jen finds it very hard to walk her. When Jen is alone, meeka walks fine, but as soon as she has her 2 1/2 y/o son ithe stroller, Meeka goes nuts on lead, and pulls like no tomorrow. Jen cannot afford to havea babysitter an hour a day for Moses (son) to be able to walk Meeka even an hour a day.

This is a bad situation any way you look at it, I know. I am frsutrated. She knows that it probably wasn't best to have taken in this dog, but, seeing that the owner was going to pts for no reason, she couldn't let that happen. She doesn't want to 'dump' the dog now... so I am trying to figure out how to help.

I recently became unemployed yet again, so I am able to spend more time with Meeka to try to help train her, but that takes away Justice time, because Meeka will NOT listen with Justice present.

I am just terribly frustrated at this point, and don't mean to upset or frustrate anyone else on this board. My neighbourhood is hard for a lot of ppl to understand, unless they have lived off welfare themselves.

mona_b
June 6th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Now I don't want yo to be upset at me for what I am going to say.But I think the best thing to do for Meeka is to re-home her.I know money seems tight for the owner.But Meeka needs someone who will be able to take the time to train or take her to obedience classes,walk her and have a fenced yard and have the money to take her to a vet.I am not faulting this person for saving the dogs life.I just don't think it's fair to Meeka.

And this owner was NOT going to put her to sleep for no reason.This person was going to have her put down cause they didn't take the time to train her and they got fed up.

Is there anyway you can talk to her about re-homing Meeka?This would be the best thing for her.(Meeka)

Safyre
June 6th, 2005, 11:22 PM
The original owner actually had Meeka, as well as Bernese Mountain Dog. the BMD was loved more, and Meeka was a nuisance. To me, thats no reason to put a dog down. Thats what I meant by 'no reason'.

I'm not mad at you at all Mona_B, I KNOW that re-homing her is probably the best idea. I was scared to bring it up because of soo many ppl on this board calling things 'dumping'... I don't consider Jen giving Meeka a better home dumping her at all.

Jen was asking me tonight if she made the right decision to adopt this dog. I couldn't answer her.
She already knows she is in over her head. she loves Meeka to death, had just lost her dog JR of 14 yrs a few months before getting Meeka, she is terribly attached to her.
I know I can talk to her about it, I think I'd need to find another dog to replace Meeka with though. She seems to be the type that can live without a dog.

Where would I look to find someone that is capable of taking this dog? Because it already has issues, I wouldn't want just anyone to get her, ya know?

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 02:17 AM
is the dog excersised adequatly?? i have found pent up energy and frustration are often big factors of SA. :pawprint:

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM
No, the dog does not get enough excersize.
Jen didn't know how much excersize Huskies need, just thought she was saving this dog from death, her old dog, a true mutt (lab, german shepard and about 4 ther things) didn't need a lot of excersize, but he listened better so she was able to excersize him more regularily. She didn't realize the time component, how much time this dog would need.

sammiec
June 7th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I totally agree with Mona.
This dog needs to have a home where the owner has time and funds available to it. One thing that can help curve her behaviour is exercise. Huskies NEED to have interaction and exercise otherwise they are extemely distructive and will not listen. These conditions will not improve without willingness from the owner. :sad:

doggy lover
June 7th, 2005, 09:24 AM
The BMD was probably loved more as it is totaly different from the huskey, they are very family oriented and don't wonder like a huskey. I have to agree with Mona_b, this dog needs a trainer and a good one to help with the issues that it has with seperation which probably come from being abandoned outside and then the shelter. I think it would be better if she found it a new home one she knows would care for the dog and not return it to a shelter.

Writing4Fun
June 7th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Safyre, I feel for your situation and I totally agree that the best thing for this dog would be to rehome her. I think your friend did a wonderful thing in "fostering" her, but now it's time to let her go to someone who can handle her, with breed experience and with enough time and knowledge to better her situation.

Has the dog been spayed?

Is there a husky or all-breed rescue in your area you can contact?

What kind of dog did your friend have previously? Maybe a similar breed/mix would work out better? Not a puppy, obviously, but a smaller dog that would be happy without as much exercise (or one that has better leash manners) and can adapt better to her lifestyle?

In the mean time, though, has anyone tried putting a halti on Meeka while walking her with the stroller?

Good luck!

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 12:30 PM
We had a GSD that was terrible for jumping through windows. She didn't care if the window was closed or not. Thankfully we lived in a house with only one level, so she was never more than 6 foot off the ground. She only did it if she was left alone. My parents had the bright idea once of chaining her to my bed frame so that she couldn't jump out the window. She drug my bed to the window in my room and jumped out anyway - only this time she was chained so she was hanging there. Luckily she was tall enough to reach the ground and my parents weren't gone long - so no injuries, but it didn't stop her from trying to break out windows.

It's unfortunate that this dog has other problems besides the SA. The exercise is probably a bigger issue in this case. I take it that there isn't a husband or BF in the picture to help out with the dogs exercise? You did say that "when she takes her kids to school" - does this mean she has kids that are older? If the other kids are old enough, they may be able to help with the dogs exercise needs. I can't think of any other suggestions than what's already been given - hope you can find a solution.

Safyre
June 7th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Please forgive if this post is ..not fluid... trying to respond to each question asked...
Dog rescues.. none in Chatham, but in cities about an hour away(London, and Windsor)... which for me, is not a problem. I can travel to another city, if we can find a suitable owner for this dog. I know she needs to be rehomed, and Jen is starting to realize this as well.

She has not been spayed... The original owner wanted to breed her therefore she was not spayed. Jen has never had the mnoey to spay her. I know that this causes a problem as well, her heat will make her want to run more, and many ppl prefer to adopt a spayed animal.

As for her previous dog.. it was a true Mutt. GSD, Lab, Collie, and some snow dog breed I think. Same size as Meeka is now, 25 " or so, but MUCH calmer. I don't support her getting another dog if she does re-home Meeka, due to cost, but I think she is the type that cannot live without a dog, as I stated earlier.

Due to the limited funds, a halti has not been attempted.. Meeka wears a normal nylon collar. There is no male influence in the home, her daughter is 7 and her son 2 1/2. Her daughter is not big enough to control Meeka on lead. She does noth ave a strong enough voice. H*ll, I don't have a strong enough voice for this dog.

Thank you to everyon that responded. Does anyone possibly know of any good rescues or fosters in South Western Ontario?

I think I can convince Jen to give up Meeka if she meets a good hearted person that she knows will care for the dog. Jen was wavering herself last night... I think she just needs to know the dog can be taken care of.

mona_b
June 7th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Well I am glad to hear that Jen is realizing this.All I ask of you is to be honest with her.If she asks,then I would tell her that yes,I think the best thing for Meeka is to rehome her.Jen has a heart.She saved this dog from death.And no,having Meeka in a home with someone who can do things that Meeka needs is NOT "dumping" in my eyes....I am actually proud of you for coming on here and asking for help.... :)

Here is a rescue.You can talk to them about Meeka.Explain the situation to them.
http://www.angelfire.com/sc/shccsouthernontario/index.html

Click on rescue.

nymph
June 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Safyre: it's great that you are going out of your way to help Jen! I also think it's best to re-home Meeka. Good luck to both of you!

Angeleyes1437
June 9th, 2005, 01:23 PM
FYI Siberian Husky and Malamute breeds are know for accomplishing incredible escaping acts- jumping high fences, out windows, you name it. They are not the easiest breed to keep contained. In a dogs life there are three things they need to be calm, assertive and content. They are in this order as well: Exercise, Discipline, Affection... exercise is first- affection is last. We as humans tend to use human interaction with dogs thinking affection is so important... meanwhile- just smiling at your dog is a sign of affection, they know your state of mind at all times. You should not give affection to a dog who is not behaving calmly and how you want him/her to. Don't be mean... but cut the affection and see how quickly they want your approval and to make you happy.

First and foremost, if your friend cannot exercise the dog- even by playing a game of catch in the backyard with the kids than she should re-home him. Of course she should make sure the home is A list in regards to his needs!

If exercise is possible on a regular basis then we can talk about training... like I said it goes in that order. I'm sure the affection is there but unfortunately that is not all a dog needs.

Angeleyes1437
June 9th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Please forgive if this post is ..not fluid... trying to respond to each question asked...
Dog rescues.. none in Chatham, but in cities about an hour away(London, and Windsor)... which for me, is not a problem. I can travel to another city, if we can find a suitable owner for this dog. I know she needs to be rehomed, and Jen is starting to realize this as well.

She has not been spayed... The original owner wanted to breed her therefore she was not spayed. Jen has never had the mnoey to spay her. I know that this causes a problem as well, her heat will make her want to run more, and many ppl prefer to adopt a spayed animal.

As for her previous dog.. it was a true Mutt. GSD, Lab, Collie, and some snow dog breed I think. Same size as Meeka is now, 25 " or so, but MUCH calmer. I don't support her getting another dog if she does re-home Meeka, due to cost, but I think she is the type that cannot live without a dog, as I stated earlier.

Due to the limited funds, a halti has not been attempted.. Meeka wears a normal nylon collar. There is no male influence in the home, her daughter is 7 and her son 2 1/2. Her daughter is not big enough to control Meeka on lead. She does noth ave a strong enough voice. H*ll, I don't have a strong enough voice for this dog.

Thank you to everyon that responded. Does anyone possibly know of any good rescues or fosters in South Western Ontario?

I think I can convince Jen to give up Meeka if she meets a good hearted person that she knows will care for the dog. Jen was wavering herself last night... I think she just needs to know the dog can be taken care of.

Did Jen know anything about the breed before adopting Meeka? People need to get a breed that fits their family or make adjustments otherwise. Owning a dog is a moral responsibility and people make mistakes but she should not ever do this again. For someone who isn't financially able or mentally willing to make changes for their dog they should purchase the breed that fits their lifestyle. For instance it sounds like she should own a breed that is not active or is small enough to get exercise on their property with a high obedience rating so it is easy to train. My dog isn't considered an easy dog to train... he descends from bull and terrier breeds- but I got him, and I love him and I had no problem training him because I was willing to meet him where he had to be met in order to live happily with me. I was consistent and I give him plenty of exercise and mental stimulation, discipline and THEN LOTS of love. However, not everyone...in fact most people shouldn't own an American Pit Bull Terrier- especially people who don't know much about dogs in general, not even to mention the breed. (hence...why they have a bad rep)

People who are willing to take on a challenge for the love of a breed buy dogs that are considered stubborn (such as terriers AND bull breeds). Otherwise there are plenty of dogs, such as retrievers or cocker spaniels that are obedient by rule of thumb. Research a breed before you buy it... you can find so much information on various websites... I mean- even puppydogweb's breed profiles can at least tell you the basic stats.

It is very nice of you to try and help your friend. I am sorry she does not have the funds to try and keep her dog... it's a shame. However, I'm sure she will decide whatever is best for Meeka.

Safyre
June 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM
She knew nothing of this breed before adopting Meeka, only knew she didn't wanta dog put to sleep because the owner didn't want it anymore.

I tried to talk to her tonight, and I am even more frustrated. While she knows she needs to excersize her more, she is not willing to give her up. She is willing to have someone train the dog for free and give it back to her *sarcasm* thats what she thought i was suggesting.
I'm just want to hit my head against a wall.

On the upside, she might be moving to the country where Meeka WILL have a yard to roam, she might be moving back to quebec.

I'll post againl ater.
Everything you said Angeleyes, is info I already knew, but thank you, I'm printing off some info from here, to show its not only my opinion that she needs to rehome the dog

Angeleyes1437
June 10th, 2005, 01:18 AM
She knew nothing of this breed before adopting Meeka, only knew she didn't wanta dog put to sleep because the owner didn't want it anymore.

I tried to talk to her tonight, and I am even more frustrated. While she knows she needs to excersize her more, she is not willing to give her up. She is willing to have someone train the dog for free and give it back to her *sarcasm* thats what she thought i was suggesting.
I'm just want to hit my head against a wall.

On the upside, she might be moving to the country where Meeka WILL have a yard to roam, she might be moving back to quebec.

I'll post againl ater.
Everything you said Angeleyes, is info I already knew, but thank you, I'm printing off some info from here, to show its not only my opinion that she needs to rehome the dog

Well I think it's great that she loves the dog so much that she does not want to give her up... and perhaps moving to the country could be the answer for her. Regardless of whether or not she rehomes her - she saved Meeka's life so she did a wonderful thing however you look at it. Yet if she does rehome Meeka she should just be careful when she gets her next dog as to the breed. I was just saying that breed selection is a common mistake people make... and probably why so many dogs end up homeless. I wish you all the best of luck and I'm sure you care enough (you care enough to post on here for an answer) to help her make the right decision...whatever it turns out to be.

Safyre
June 10th, 2005, 09:25 AM
PPl choosing the wrong Breed happens alot, I know this. I respond to ppl on here wanting a small dog about whetrher or not they have fully looked into things.
Problem is, her situation.. free is free, right? Jen things she can train any dog so I don't think this is going to stop her from getting another Siberian, ever. This is the type of person that is stubborn.

Anyways... i'm noly awake right now hanks to Dallas ... I am going back to bed and will respond more later.

d_stanley
June 10th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Safyrewe have siberian huskies and are always looking for new one from rescue or other places.
if you would like i would be able to come to chatham to check out your dog. or your neighbours dog, since we live kinda close, we live in amherstburg. please contact me, or p.m me. if interested.
thank you.
darlene

:crazy: crazy bout huskies

Safyre
June 10th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Ok, more awake now. Dallas cries at my bedroom door is Justice is with me. damn kitty lol

When speaking with Jen yesterday, her comment was, she'll just have to find a way to get Meeka more excersize. Yet admits that the problem is, she never can just walk with her, she is always going somewhere, groceires or what not, and can't tie her up outside.
She doesn't have ar eal solution to the problem, but feels soo attached to Meeka, that she doesn't want to give her up.
She told me that she has a big decision to make over the summer, as she might be moving to where Meeka will have forests to run though. So I think, until she makes that decision, I'm not going to be able to talk her into rehoming Meeka.

I'm really frustrated with her right now, as she wants help for Meeka, but only if she can keep Meeka. She wants something for free, and its bugging the heck outta me.

D_stanley ... I will keep you in mind, and if I can talk to her some more, and get her to meet with you, I will certainly contact you. Amherstburg is not far very nice city ;-) Meeka, on the plus side, does like car rides if anything does happen.
I have a feeling if Meeka gets out(escapes) more this summer, Jen will be willing to rehome her. Not that I want Meeka escaping, but it might prove to jen to rehome her.

Safyre
June 21st, 2005, 11:45 PM
OK, I am sick and tired of this situation
Meeka has NOT been getting any more excersize than she did before her lil escapade, and NOW, Jen is leaving her otuside, in the morning, full sun, no water or food. She has shelter, but it is a plastic igloo that is not shaded.

I called the OSPCA today, and asked if they can do anything about that, they do consider it neglect,and I need to go tomorrow to fill out a witness statment, and then have them come out when she leaves Meeka out there again.

i don't have a chocie, this dog needs OUT of there. Meeka has had diahrea on and off her entire time with Jen, as I found out recently. She was never checked over by a vet. ARGH.

I would rather it go to a rescue, but I have no way of taking the dog without someone noticing.

Jackie467
June 21st, 2005, 11:51 PM
your definatly doing the right thing. This dog needs more than your friend can give her. Thank you for caring about her so much, your her gardian angel. :angel: Even if you just get the SPCA to come out it may give her a wake up call and she'll think about rehoming meeka for her own good.

Angeleyes1437
June 21st, 2005, 11:54 PM
It's a shame that is has to come to this, but good for doing what you think is right. Obviously she is not giving Meeka a very good home.

Let us know how it goes... I wish you and Meeka the best... poor Meeka :(

Safyre
June 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM
omg Jackie, that comment made me cry. Thank you for caring about her so much, your her gardian angel. i get called her guardian angel, as I'm always the one that finds her when she escapes from the house. god, i love that dog.
I'm just emotional, I know she is going to be in soo much pain having Meeka taken away from her ... I know its for the better, I jsut hate to inflict the pain, ya know?

Luba
June 22nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
I can't believe the ospca will actually get involved with this situation. Although I am delighted I find it highly unusual they would actually care to consider a situation if the dog has food water and shelter.

Keep us posted.

mafiaprincess
June 22nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
But it doesn't..

It has shelter with no food, no water..

Safyre
June 22nd, 2005, 01:05 AM
Although I am delighted I find it highly unusual they would actually care to consider a situation if the dog has food water and shelter.
Keep us posted.

Does not have food or water. Has shelter in a very hot plastic igloo with hay lining the bottom, not shaded.