Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Constipation

jewels9935
June 6th, 2005, 07:30 PM
:sick: Daisy is constipated does anyone know what can help her loosen up her stools. She is 17 lb Jack Russel/poodle mix. Her dog food consists of wellness in th morning and chicken and rice and greenbeans at night. She usually doesn't have any problems with her stools, but since my son brought home a new puppy daisy has become a picky eater. I am a lil worried. Any solutions would be appreciated. The vet said pumpkin would help, but daisy won't eat it! Thanks Jewels9935

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Try offering her the pumpkin on a spoon. That's how I got my Berner to eat it. It's the plain pumpkin, right? You can also try plain probiotic yogourt.

SnowDancer
June 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM
After major back surgery my mini Dachshund was very constipated, plus with limited use of his hind legs and lower back - I had to use a sling for some time, he would become very frustrated and just give up. My solution - simply because I had some - was 3.8% fat Unhomogized Organic Whole Milk - gave him about 1/2 a cup - that did the trick. Of course every time he saw the milk after that ... Some people use yogourt - but for my guy the milk worked.

Karin
June 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Canned pumpkin has always worked here and with many clients too. The good ol' standby is 1/2 teaspoon of psyllium (Metamucil) non-flavored, mixed in the food.

Hydration worries me here. How's the water intake?

SarahLynn123
June 7th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I have to give Belle a small piece of bologne, then another piece that has the pumpkin in it! She will usually eat it then.

jewels9935
June 8th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Thanks everyone the pumkin in the bologna worked!! She is feeling much bettter! :thumbs up