Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I teach her to "give a paw?"

Corrie
June 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM
My 5 month old West Highland Terrier, Charlotte is going to puppy socialization/obedience classes on Wednesday nights. We are doing pretty well, but June 15th is our last class and we have been asked to show off a little and show the group a trick that she has learned. I want to do "give a paw" but she is not getting it (it's probaby me that is teaching it wrong...she is quite smart!)
So, any ideas? How did you teach your puppy to give a paw?

Roxy's_MA
June 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I tought Roxy to give a paw by

1. Make her sit and reward her
2. Say the command (we use give five)
3. put her paw on top of your hand
4. Reward her with treats

She caught on pretty fast

Hope this helps

Toonces
June 6th, 2005, 07:02 PM
I love Westies my friends have 2 of them Cheddar is 4 and Ceaser is 16, do you have a pic of your baby Charlotte to share? They are very smart and if I was ever to get a small breed dog it would be a westie for sure.

Crazy Hippie
June 14th, 2005, 03:07 PM
With my dog, we started with something similar to what Roxy said. After doing that for a while, we would just tap his paw (on the leg part) and say "shake" and he learned to lift his paw. Pretty soon he'd do it without the tapping, just hearing "shake".

heidiho
June 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM
yEP WHAT THEY SAID,THAT WAS THE EASIEST ONE TO TEACH MY DOG,HE GOT THAT REALLY QUICK,BUT HE WAS A GSD,I MUST SAY HE LEARNED EVERYTHING VERY FAST...I AM A LITTLE PREJUDICE BUT GSD'S ARE SMARTER THAN I EVER KNEW../