Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy chews on EVERYTHING

newdad
June 6th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Just wondering what the best way to stop a puppy from chewing would be?? Or even if there is a way. Every time I turn around Tasha has something else in her mouth. I am lost and have no idea what to do now. PLEASE HELP!!! :confused:

Mockingcat
June 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
First of all, she is a puppy, and she is going to chew. This is a fact of life. If your puppy is not chewing something, something is wrong. She needs to have her own things to chew. Make sure she has chewies and toys that she can play with so that when she's bored, she has something to do that won't get her into trouble.

Whenever we caught our dog chewing something in the house that she shouldn't, I would snap my fingers to get her attention, lead her away from the object, and put her on the other side of the room with her toy. When she chewed it, she would get praised. :)

mona_b
June 6th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Also,she is teething.What I used to do was roll up a washcloth,wet it and put it in the freezer.Once frozen,let them chew to their hearts content.If they got ahold of something they shouldn't,I gave a firm "no",then gave them one of their toys.One they chewed on it,they got praised.It really didn't take them long to understand what they could and couldn't chew.Just make sure you correct her right away.This way she will learn.You can also use the command "leave it"...Also,since she is young,I would always use her name before a command.Like "Tasha,leave it"...Just something I did when my dogs were pups.

As for her toys,do you have a Kong?With this you can stuff treats in it and it will keep her busy for quite some time.

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Ever see a baby teething, everything is in their mouths including their fists. Same thing with pups!

Keep suppling things safe to chew on the frozen washcloth is great as well as ice cubes. They cool the itchy and burning gums.

Beaglemom
June 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I agree with what everyone else has said. My beagle was a very big and aggressive chewer as a pup. She would chew anything and everything! She even chewed her first crate! She would lie outside her crate and chew the sides.

The key is to puppy proof your home. Anything that you find valuable must be put away out of your puppy's reach. Shoes should be put away if possible. Laundry should be kept out of reach. (My beagle loved socks!) Always make sure that your puppy has her toys available to her. Keep switching them up every few days otherwise she may become bored with them.

It is just the teething stage and rest assured that it does pass, eventually.

Mockingcat
June 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Another sock lover? My dad's GSD swallowed a sock whole one night. He told it from on top of the washing machine. When my dad told him to drop it, he swallowed it whole. *sigh*

Many hours later, and many hundreds of dollars shorter, we had a dog with stitches and a really yucky sock. (The vet gave it back to us.... he always did have a sense of humor, said there was no use wasting a sock.)

Beaglemom
June 7th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Another sock lover? My dad's GSD swallowed a sock whole one night. He told it from on top of the washing machine. When my dad told him to drop it, he swallowed it whole. *sigh*

Misty also loved socks a bit too much. My little cousin was just a couple years old at the time when Misty was a pup. He was sitting on the floor watching TV with his legs stretched out in front of him and he only had socks on his feet. Well, Misty ran up to him and in a blink of an eye stole his sock right off his foot and ran off with it! She loved chewing the toes off of socks.

Okay sorry, went off topic a bit.

Things puppies love to chew!