Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Picky Eaters!

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Speaking of food ... what the heck do you all feed your kids, night after night? I don't know how my mother did it, but she seemed to always have something different on the table each meal of the day, every night of the week (except for Tuesdays & Thursdays - those were pasta nights), and I'm not talking sandwiches or hotdogs either. I sit here all day long, agonizing over what to feed the kids. Choices are very limited. One of the boys doesn't eat soup or pasta. The baby has to be "in the mood" for pasta, otherwise it gets fed to the dog, piece by piece. Hubby doesn't eat beef or anything with bones in it, so we're always having boneless, skinless chicken breasts. Vegetables are very limited - carrots and celery have to be raw; green beans, tomatoes, olives, corn, cucumbers are all good; anything else is outright refused. No potatoes for the kids, no rice for any of them (I love rice, and miss it very much :( ). I'm starting to get tired (and so are the kids) of the same ol', same ol', night after night after night after... So, if you have any ideas that don't involve meat that looks like meat :rolleyes: or pasta or rice or potatoes or any vegetables other than those listed above, I'd love to hear it!! :crazy: (not asking for much, am I? :p )

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 02:04 PM
You think that's bad? try living my life.. Vegetarian and i dont eat Rice, Beans, Leafy salads (that's for turtles) Balsamic Vinegar or not..
k since i dont feed my brain right i cant think of anything else at the moment but be sure i'll come back and add more stuff to my list..
i grew up as a picky eater.. (suddenly i feel like a duck)

Dukieboy
June 6th, 2005, 02:05 PM
How about Tacos? You can put just about anything in them. Ground chicken or turkey. Chop different kinds of veggies and put them in bowls. Kids can stuff em themselves.

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Tacos! Yeah, I forgot about them. The older boy loves them, but only with ground beef, cheese & tomatoes. Hubby won't eat ground chicken/turkey - says it looks too much like beef. :rolleyes: So I usually sautee some chicken strips for him to put in his tacos. The baby's too young for tacos, so he usually gets some of hubby's sauteed chicken - sometimes he eats it, sometimes it's tossed overboard to the furry shark circling below. :evil:

LOL Knight! I happen to like the leafy salads - unfortunately, I'm the only one in my family who does. :(

Eleni
June 6th, 2005, 02:30 PM
my kids live off finger foods,

as much as I try i cannot cook more then a dozen or so different dishes for them, they just wotn have it

Eleni

Lizzie
June 6th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Hmm...I am a very pickey eater. Here's some stuff I eat when I get bored of the routine.

Chicken nuggets
Pizza
Quiche (they make good ones at M&M Meats)
Green Giant stir fry kits with boneless chicken cut up

happycats
June 6th, 2005, 02:43 PM
I know "exactly" how you feel!!
My son would have peanut butter sandwhiches for breakfast lunch and dinner if I let him :p
The only veggies he eats are corn, carrots (raw) and sometimes celery *sigh*
My Hb is no better! He doesn't like fruits or veggies :rolleyes: Doesn;t eat any seafood at all (except fish and chips, and it has to be halibut). I miss all the food I used to eat :(

But here is a site, with alot of Disney kids meals, Hope it helps!
http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin/search?search_string=kids

There are alot of great adult recipes too :D

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Hmm..a meal with boneless meat, no pasta or potatoes.

Do you like pork? Get some boneless pork steaks, pound them between two peices of wax paper until they are thin. Dip in egg and then in bread crumbs of your choice (I like the shake and bake pork ones, or I use italian flavoured bread crumbs). Then shallow pan fry them in olive oil until cooked through and crispy. Serve with apple sauce. I used to LOVE this as a kid.

I also never used to eat anything that I saw with a bone. Drove my mom nuts. She would have to pick all the meat off the bones for me.

Why doesn't DH like beef? Why not ground chicken? Does he have an aversion to all ground meat?

M&M's makes great "rib o pork". They look like ribs but are just formed like that, no bones. Just marinate in favorite BBQ sauce and stick on the grill or heat threw in the oven.

Pizza and tacos would be my best bet with your family though. I love LOVE LOVE tacos. I could eat them all the time! OlDelPaso has a great chicken Fajita mix, just cook with some peppers and onions (or cook them on the side for the picky eaters).

Do they eat meat loaf? I have a great recipe for a "pate" type meat loaf with ham and chicken livers and pork.

I grew up picky and now I have issues with food. I would consider putting your foot down sometimes (not just writing...but all the parents). Make them eat something new each week. Even if it is only one "peice" of something, like a new meat or veggie or recipe. If they don't eat it, they starve. It won't kill them. My sister was so worried about her first kid who was so picky, she only fed her stuff she likes. Now she won't eat ANYTHING and my sister is trying to break her of the habbit. It's really hard. WIth her son who is 5 years younger, she just feeds him what she wants to eat. If he doesn't eat it, he doesn't get anything else. now he eats anything.

Oh. Forgot. Do they like eggs? I have a MILLION egg recipes. How about Polenta. I have a recipe for polenta where you put less water in it so it is note runny, and it gets solid so you can cut it in shapes. You could cut out peices with a cookie cutter. Would be a different carb, and you can put roasted tomatoes and olives in it. Serve with the pork or a scrambled egg.

SarahLynn123
June 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM
when my mom got fed up with us she would cut up all kinds of veggies and deli meats and chicken and we could make our own salads and wraps. Basically whatever we wanted to make for ourselves. she would put everything in their separate containers so we could pick our own stuff
cheese
hard boiled eggs
lettuce
tomato
cucumber
turky breast
and whatever else was in the fridge at the time

Also personalized pizza's which we also made ourselves was a hit.

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I have a great recipe for vegetable fritters that taste like a really good burger, and you can't tell it's all veggie.

1 medium zucchini, seeds removed
1 medium sweet potato
1 medium onion
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
4 tbsp fresh copped cilantro
3/4 cup corn starch
2 eggs beaten
salt and pepper to taste

shred all veggies and mix with eggs and spices. Form into 8 patties. Pan fry in a little olive oil until both sides are crispy and brown. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes at 350. Serve with feta or other favorite cheese alone or on a bun.

Or this. Turkey ham and egg bake.

1 frozen pie crust (deep dish)
7 oz cooked turkey chopped
7 oz cooked ham chopped
2 hard boiled eggs chopped
2-3 tbsp capers (if they like olives, that might be better)

sauce:
2 cups milk
4 tbsp flour
1/2 stick butter
salt/pepper to taste

Make a roux...if you know how (cook butter and flour together, then add milk) or just mix all of the sauce ingredients together and bring to a boil and simmer until thickened.

Mix sauce and filling together into the pie shell. Bake for 30 min at 350 until golden and hot.

Jackie467
June 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I do have to say I was a really picky eater when I was young, I'm still picky but not nearly as bad. One day my mom got fed up with having to make the same things all the time, so she stoped. She started making different things and if I didn't eat them that was it, I didn't eat, and certainly couldn't have anything else all night. After a while I started eating because I was hungry. I actully ended up likeing a lot of what she made. My father did try to force me to eat it by not letting me leave the table until I cleaned my plate but that didn't last long because I would literally sit there all night (but I was stubborn). also at first when i refused to eat anything new my mom wouldn't let me watch TV or play until I had at least ate a small portion which she would put on my plate, after the first couple times I ate it because I would be really bored if I didn't.

april21h1
June 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM
I was raised if you don't like whats on your plate too bad. So I usually ate whatever was put in front of me, except eggs :yuck: . But now I am a picky eater :rolleyes: .

My bf's daughter is a VERY picky eater. Her mother will just give her whatever. So I usually can have hotdogs, mac& cheese or stuff that takes 5 minutes to cook. I don't like to cook different meals, that is not how I was raised. We try to get her to eat whatever we are eating, it turns into a hour or more of her sitting there picking at her food or a crying fit or eats a bite or two and says she is full.

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
If you have a fondue pot, I have a GREAT recipe for pizza fondue. I don't have it in front of me, but let me know if you want it. Basically you mix pizza sauce and the cheese together in the pot, and give them all their favorite pizza toppings to dip, like bits of bread, pepperoni, ham, bacon, chicken, mushrooms, peppers, onions, anything that can go on pizza. It's great fun. You can just buy a bunch of veggies and stuff and make a huge platter and sit there and have fun with the family.

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Wow, guys & gals! Thanks for all the brainstorming! :thumbs up

I try to get the older one to try at least one bite of whatever I've made. After much arguing and threats, he will try the bite, tell me it's "ok", and then refuse to eat any more of it. :rolleyes: Believe me, he's gone to bed plenty of times without supper because he's refused to eat whatever I've put in front of him. But, his dad isn't exactly setting a fabulous example, so how can I really punish him for that? The little one is still young enough to just open his mouth and take whatever I put in there, but if he doesn't like it, it's hard to get him to trust me enough to take a second bite of anything after that. :p

The little one likes eggs, the older one doesn't. Although I think a fondue would be a blast, I don't have a pot (and whenever I think of fondue, I think of That 70's Show).

I'm not sure why hubby doesn't eat beef. He won't eat anything that looks like beef (like if it's ground, or formed like ribs), or if it has bones in it, or even if it looks like it might have come off a bone (so I can't even debone a chicken myself - it has to come out of the package already deboned :crazy: ). I think it goes back to his mother forcing him to eat things he didn't want to eat, which is why I'm hesitant to really press the issue with our kids. It's just getting a little frustrating these days, ya know?

Raingirl, the vegetable fritters (although they sound very tasty) would probably look too much like a hamburger for hubby's liking (although I think the kids would eat it ... hmmm, something to think of when hubby's working nights...). And the pork chops won't work either, just because they're pork. :rolleyes: But I do almost the same thing for chicken cutlets. Hubby would eat those every night if I made them. :D

happycats
June 6th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I don't know if your hubby likes chicken thighs, but I buy the boneless skinless, ones. pound them flat add bread crumbs and dry spices, and either make schnitzels (sp) or get buns and make chicken sandwhiches, my son actually loves them :D (I tell him they are large chicken Mcnuggets ;) ) I make my own bread crumbs with spices and either toast, or cheerios, special K or corn flakes, or melba toast. Just throw in a blender :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 6th, 2005, 10:09 PM
My four year old will eat almost anything, tonight he had four helpings of spaghetti (kids size) ate his garlic bread and his dads, and asked for a snack five minutes after dinner, he also likes green pizza (spinach) shrimp and squid.

My seven year old is picky and will pick out any green speck in his food it usually takes him an hour to finish his dinner.

Both the kids will eat tacos, fish n chips, pasta, kalamari (yuck) carrots, apples, tortelleni is a popular one, we usually have carrots with dinner or even fruit sometimes. They drink the fruit and veggie juice which I know isn't great but its better then some of the other sugary juices. Also it doesn't help much that the ice cream truck goes by our house everyday at 5pm.We almost always so no, but the kids our usually not happy about it.

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Man you moms are sure nice! :D Growing up we ate what Dad put on our plate and all of it. LOL :D I did not like so many things so I tried chewing them and spitting them in my napkin so he caught on and took my napkin, than I tried spitting them in my drink so I did not get a drink, etc. So we just learned to eat it and not complain. Plus we got the big there are children in Africa that need that food speech. :D So we are not picky eaters to this day! :D

Safyre
June 6th, 2005, 10:37 PM
I used to be a terribly picky eater... my problem is that I'm allergic to alot of things. So I was always hesitient to try new things, fraid of the reaction I might get. my da,d iddn't care and would make me eat whatever was in front of me. Comming from divorced, thats not a good idea, makes the kid hate ya even more.
For a possibly new chicken idea, check out the recipes for humans thread, I have posted 'super crunch chicken; which goes over realyl well with my family and friends.
I would actually suggest brigning the children (and husband if he wants to be that picky) to the grovery store with you with the clause they they must each pick 5 new things they want to try. Incorporate those things into meals that they like, and find new ones with the new mix of ingrediatns (if they like them)
they can't complain about trying something that they picked out themselves!

Cactus Flower
June 7th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Oh. Forgot. Do they like eggs? I have a MILLION egg recipes. How about Polenta. I have a recipe for polenta where you put less water in it so it is note runny, and it gets solid so you can cut it in shapes. You could cut out peices with a cookie cutter. Would be a different carb, and you can put roasted tomatoes and olives in it. Serve with the pork or a scrambled egg.

I would be really interested in this recipe, if you care to post it (you can put it in the recipe section, if you like- don't want to hijack).

I make my own bread crumbs with spices and either toast, or cheerios, special K or corn flakes, or melba toast. Just throw in a blender
This sounds like a great idea, Happycats! I'm going to try it!

Lizzie
June 7th, 2005, 08:24 AM
What about fish? Do they like fish? There are fish sticks, fish and chips, fish and veggies....all sorts of fish!

Eleni
June 7th, 2005, 08:27 AM
i never thought about polenta, i bet my Issac would go crazy for polenta if i cut it into shapes

Eleni

Prin
June 7th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Heh heh... My brother's a vegan, my dad's on Atkin's, I don't like too many veggies and my other brother is a vacuum. My dad has to make so much food when we all come over now. It's nuts.

All I can say is all of us (including my dad) were force fed food we didn't like growing up and look what happened! I hope you find a solution that doesn't involve them eating things they dislike. :)