Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Separation anxiety - posted for Sebastian

marko
June 6th, 2005, 12:31 PM
This message is posted for a user that does not have an ISP.

This is my message:

Hello

My name is Sebastian. Due to a lack of access to a
regular e-mail, I cannot register. Therefore, Marko
was kind enough to post a message on my behallf.

I would like to ask your advice on a particular
situation. My brother got a doberman around 3 years
ago against everybody's will and to make one story
short he had to leave the family household and rent an
apartment in order to stay with the puppy. The problem
is that due to lack of experience and to my my
brother's character, Caius (the doberman) developped a
disorder called separation anxiety. Every time my
brother leaves - even for few minutes - he barks and
cries. My brother tried many things to help him not
cry. He left him with other small dogs, he bought
several collars which are supposed to discourage the
dog to bark, etc. but neither worked and he is about
to be thrown out of his apartment for the second time.

Now, I would like to have your advice on this matter.
I thought about two possible solutions. One would be
training or therapy (as odd as that sounds) but is it
possible for a 3 year old doberman to recover from
separation anxiety? Do you know any therapists or
trainers who would be up to the job here in Montreal,
Quebec?

The second solution, which is also more urgent, would
be to find a place where Caius would stay, possibly a
house with a garden or maybe a place in the city where
we live, Montreal, that can be rented and where
Caius's cries wouldn't bother people. If you know of
any of such places, please contact me.

Both the dog and my brother are extremely attached one
to the other, but they risk to be separated if we
don't find a solution quickly. My brother is a human
and might get over this by using reason, but this
would be absolutely devastating for the dog. I've
never seen a dog getting more attached to a person
like this before.

Thank you for your attention,

Sebastian

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the mesg Marko

Dobermans by nature are very devoted family members. They love to be with and around their 'people'. Has your brother taken this dog for 'any type' of obedience training? The reason I ask is that even something like obedience training can give a dog confidence to be alone.

A dog can suffer from S.A for a number of reasons and without knowing the dogs entire history it would be difficult to formulate a reason as to 'why'.

When the dog is left alone, what period of time elapses? How many hours, while someone is away at work? 8/9 hours?

Hiring a dog walker to come in half way through the day will give the dog something to look forward to and can over time reduce or eliminate the S.A as the dog comes to know a pattern of what to expect.

Leaving this dog alone for 'short' periods of time say a half hour at a time, several times a week, then really making a big fuss when your brother returns home encourages the dog again ... it's okay, I'll be back and you have something to look fwd to!

When he comes home, he should spend time with the dog, praise the dog and take him out for a walk, if even a short outing.

There are many creative ways of dealing with a problem like this, it does take time, effort, patience and imagination as well as devotion.

If this dog is rehomed now, suffering the same way... his new owners may not have the patience to do something about it and he could end up in the pound repeatidly and placed over and over again.

I also suggest you may want to contact a Doberman rescue and ask for some advise breed specifically on things that they find work with dobies that have S.A.

Keep posted and updated.

SarahLynn123
June 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
This could be a VERY expensive solution, but the dog could go to a doggy daycare instead of being left alone.

We had that problem but not nearly as severe. We have stuffed frozen kongs for them to work on while we are gone. We stuff ours with bologne and kibble topped off with cheeze whiz. They only get it when we leave and now they look forward to it! You can get a ball type toy and instead of feeding the dog breakfast, put the food in the ball and he can work for his breakfast. I think its called havaball. Also a good run in the morning may help, not sure though.

If I think of anything else I will post!

Good luck

Sarah

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 01:02 PM
I would suggest trying to have someone come in and talk your baby on a walk and play with him. Maybe check into doggie daycare! It does not sound like you are going to give up on this baby! Please do not hang in there! Hopefully Cactus Flower will see this I think Raja had a SA she would be a good one to talk to. :D Luba also had great advice! I am not sure what to tell you I have not had to deal with this. Just wanted to tell you to hang in there it can get better! :D

marko
June 6th, 2005, 01:20 PM
In terms of a good trainer we HIGHLY Recommend one of the Montreal trainers that are associated with Pets.ca
They are located in St. Lazare but also offer courses in MTL.

EVERY single person that I've referred has been happy with the results.

Here is a good article on our site that Julie wrote:
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogsepanx.htm

Julie Sansregret - AHT, Dog trainer
Guides Canins
1313, rue PineRidge,
St-Lazare-de-Vaudreuil, Qué.
J7T 2M7 (450) 424-1469

Cactus Flower
June 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Leaving him for short periods of time and gradually increasing the amount of time is helpful, but I'm not sure if he has the time for that right now, given the urgency of the matter and his pending eviction.

I've also found that my Raj is MUCH calmer if I leave her in my bedroom (where we both sleep at night and she has her own bed) with the door closed. She doesn't get nearly as anxious as if I leave her with full run of the house. I think she considers her sleeping space a more soothing haven. Or it could just be that she thinks maybe I am still in the house (since she didn't see me walk out the front door), and that is a comfort to her.

Some people also swear by Rescue Remedy. They are drops that are supposed to soothe anxiety.

We have only come so far with Raj's seperation anxiety. Since my Mom moved down, I have a babysitter most of the time.