Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My Rant On Garbage!

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Our town adopted a new garbage collection policy. They've contracted (I believe) a new refuse collection company, so they've implemented new rules, and now the whole town is in an uproar.

We've always had a two-bag limit, which is actually a lot more than I usually put out. I only ever have my blue Rubbermaid container (which isn't overly large - about the size of one good-sized green garbage bag). I would fill this with the white kitchen-catcher type bags from around the house (maybe three a week, unless we've had a party), as well as the extra-stinky diapers that I didn't want to keep indoors for any longer than I absolutely had to. :yuck: I also have two recycle bins that are always overflowing by the time pick-up comes around - while some of my neighbors don't even bother recycling at all. :eek:

Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago, we were out of town, so we missed a garbage collection. The following week, I put out my can - with the now extra-extra-stinky diapers in it. Garbage collection comes and goes, and I go to the end of my driveway to collect my garbage can. What do I find? They've opened up my can, removed two white kitchen-catcher type bags, and left the rest (with all the now two-week-old stinky diapers) with a sticker on the can saying I've exceeded my two bag limit!!!

So now I have to increase my garbage output and add even more unnecessary plastic to the landfill because the city is forcing me to put all my little bags into one big bag. Which was even more annoying last week because I had to empty out the two-week-old stinky mess that was sitting at the bottom of my garbage can. I mean really! How is this benefitting the environment? How is it easier for the garbage men to have to wrestle the bags out of my can (because now that you have the extra air of bags inside of a bag, it has to be forcefully stuffed into the can), rather than just picking up the garbage bin and tossing the whole lot into the truck? Why don't they concentrate their efforts on trying to get more people to recycle (like my neighbors, who won't do anything if they're not getting any money out of it)? Why don't I have the cahonas to do what the last guy did and leave a stinking pile of garbage bags on City Hall's front steps? (just kidding about the last one - they actually went through the bags of garbage, found out who they belonged to and fined him)

Bearsmom
June 6th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Where we live (Orangeville), we have a 3 bag limit. We have those tall garbage cans (that have the lock lids), and each one of those cans counts as a bag of garbage.

PS Did you not laugh your butt off at them picking the poopie diapers out? EWWWWWWWWWWW.

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 01:09 PM
That is so stupid, but the same thing as in Brampton. The bag limit applies no matter the size of bag. Two bags. If they are small, your problem.

I live in an apartment so the bag limits don't count. Still..I usually only have one bag a week. I empty the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom garbage into a large garbage bag and send it down the garbage shoot.

We have recycling, but it's so hard to take it all down to the first floor several times a week. We do it, but I find i am more lax and tend to throw things out I could recycle sometimes.

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM
We have those tall garbage cans (that have the lock lids), and each one of those cans counts as a bag of garbage.
That's the way it used to be - a can equalled a bag. Since my can held about the same amount as a normal-sized bag, I didn't feel guilty (my neighbors picked up two industrial barrels and called them garbage cans :rolleyes: ). But the lids are a must, otherwise you'll have all sorts of critters shredding your garbage, right? I guess the only reason my neighbor's "cans" stayed upright is because we don't have critters big enough to tip those monstrosities when they're weighed down with all the garbage! But, I guess now that they have to put out actual "bags", they're having to deal with their garbage just like the rest of us schmoes. :rolleyes:

Oh, I know exactly how much "fun" it was, sifting through those diapers - I had to pull them out of the can to throw them into the bag, remember? :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Sneaky2006
June 6th, 2005, 03:19 PM
How can you have a limit?? What do you do if you have more garbage? You have to save it week to week?

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Normally you don't have as much garbage and I know what you mean by limit.

We have a huge recycling program that even recycles waste like compost material so it reduces your garbage load.

Speaking of loads, thats one big load of stinky diapers! Phew! Instead of using the white kitchen bags get the large green/black bags and shove all your smaller ones in there.... :D Thats what we do!

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Oh, I know exactly how much "fun" it was, sifting through those diapers - I had to pull them out of the can to throw them into the bag, remember? :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

I'd throw out the can...

Maybe put a giant garbage bag in the can, like a liner, through your smaller bags in there, and then close up the big bag when you take the garbage out.

lilith_rizel
June 6th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Here, each house is given 1 recycle bin, and one large green garbage can. We recycle everything we can, and put the rest into garbage. There have been times where I haven't been home to bring the garbage out to the street side, for pick up. and it has been fine, being that we only use about 1/4 of it each week. 90% of that are diapers...... which might change being that the cost of diapers are getting heigher and higher, here, and we are going to have 2 babies soon..... So we are switching to cloth. Better for the environment, and cheaper on the pocket!

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 04:14 PM
About putting the bags into bags - yeah, that's what we're supposed to do. My issue is that's one more plastic bag in the landfill that didn't need to be there. Two for every household, about 30,000 houses in our town, and growing ... that's an awful lot of extra plastic each week! :eek: Oh, and the bag can't be "giant", they won't take it. It can only be a standard size green bag.

Sneaky, if you have more than 2 bags of garbage, you have to buy special tags to put on your bags in order to have them picked up. The tags cost $1.50 each, or you can cart your extra garbage to the dump yourself and pay by the pound.

Lilith, good luck with the cloth diapers. I know they're better for the environment and all, but I definitely don't have the stomach for that. :yuck: Luckily, I'm almost at my last potty-training stage, so I'll soon be saying "Good Riddance!" to diapers forever!!! :party: :crazy: Oh, and we're given 2 recycle bins, but there are still people who don't recycle. They feel it's not "fair" for them to be doing all the "work" while the city cashes in on the recycling programs. :rolleyes:

HorseCrazy!
June 6th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Be glad you have a garbage service!!! We just moved and there is NO service of any type here. :( You have to store it somewhere outside and then load it up into your truck/car and take it to the dump!! :mad:

chico2
June 6th, 2005, 05:10 PM
We here in Oakville have a 6 bag limit and I mean the big green bags,we only recycle newspapers,cardboard and bottles(plastic or glass).
I wish we had wet-stuff recycling as it is now I compost veggies and any leftover meat goes to my crows :D
W4F,did you send a letter to the editor in the Star??I read something similar as your problem there and you are right,there is an awful lot of plastic going to the dump.

lilith_rizel
June 6th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Writing4fun,

My 3 youngest sisters all wore cloth, so I changed and cleaned alot of them. Plus now you can buy these things that hook onto the toilet, and clap onto the diaper, so you can just flus the toilet, and "pre-clean" them that way, before they hit the wash..... I just can't stand polution like that. I can help by not filling up the land fills by using something reuseable..... JMO

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 08:56 PM
I dont see anyone else posting for MTL.. hey we dont have this problem. our rant is Pot holes.... Crater size ones...

as for too many bag's.... why should that be a problem? just put 2 bag's like by front of the car and 2 more at the back.. there.. problem solved!
and if you live on a bungalow street.. you can put 2 on the edge of where the house starts and 2 where it ends...

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
as for too many bag's.... why should that be a problem? just put 2 bag's like by front of the car and 2 more at the back.. there.. problem solved!
and if you live on a bungalow street.. you can put 2 on the edge of where the house starts and 2 where it ends...
LOL! No, that wouldn't work, Knight. Only 2 bags per household. If there are 2 bags at the end of my driveway, 2 bags at the end of my neighbor's driveway, and 2 bags half-way between the two houses, those last two will stay there until someone calls the City to complain, at which point they'll open up the bags to see who they belong to and then fine me for leaving garbage on the side of the road.

Don't get me started on potholes!! :evil:

Safyre
June 6th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Seems a lot of towns are complaining about garbage
There was a whole big issure in my Co-op (60 townhouses) recently, because we got classified wrong, and the city was trying to tell us we were allowed only 1 bag each, anything more would be picked up at our expense. That has since been resolved,a nd we are now given cubic meters, our garbag has to be in the same palce every week, and not exceed 2.2 cubic meters, and not more the height of one of those Carts a Hoy bins. It's still not enough, but we haven't been charged yet.
The rest of the city is allowed 4 bags per address.

Sneaky2006
June 7th, 2005, 12:29 AM
I could not imagine having a limit. We have so much garbage sometimes, the neighbors must think we are moving every other month! It's mostly because of all the kids coming and going... and their parents too.
We also have 2 recycling bins for cans, glass and plastic, 1 bin for paper (non-newspaper) a bag for newspapers/cardboard and 1 bin for yard waste and grass. I'd like to think all the recycling we do makes up for the garbage we have. :D

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Our city recently changed the way they collect the garbage. It used to be that the garbage truck would come by and someone would grab your cans and empty them into the truck. Now, the truck has this mechanical arm that picks up the can and dumps it into the truck. Of course, all the cans have to be the kind that the truck can actually pick up now. It used to be that if you overflowed your own cans, you could set it to the side and the garbage guys would pick it up. Now, you can't leave anything extra to the side of the can - it won't get picked up and instead of everyone having their own cans, now we have 'communal' cans - one big one for every two or three houses on the block. We make more trips to the dump now but at least they don't charge you if it is residential waste. The recycling program here is pretty much non-existant. The only thing you can recycle is newspaper and cardboard. We don't have any service for glass or plastic. We used to have a compost place that was shared by the whole town. It has been there for about 5 years and just recently the city had to shut it down because people were throwing normal garbage in the pile - so now no one can use it. :mad: