Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on foster cat!

heeler's rock!
June 6th, 2005, 12:20 PM
So, here's a little update on Smoky.

As soon as we got her back on Thursday evening, we locked her in our second bedroom to refamiliarize herself with everything. When I was visiting with her, she was scratching her ear and meowing like it hurt, so obviously something was wrong. At 1:00am, I heard her scratching the crap outta my carpets, so I got up to see what was going on, and she bolted right down to the basement to hide. It was so not like her! We didn't see her all day Friday, and at one point even thought she took off outside when the door was open when hubby came home for that brief second! So, at around 9:00 or so, we spotted her behind the couch and gave her some food. She still hadn't had one single accident. We also a kept her litter box in her room to avoid any accidents, so that may have helped. I made her appointment to go see a vet for Saturday and sure enough, the vet says she has a yeast infection in her ears (both) and a urinary tract infection. :eek: We also found out that she isn't a she at all!! She's a boy!! Now, the lady that adopted him was under the impression that he was a girl, so that would have been a legitimate reason for a return, but not wanting to spend money taking him to a vet to help him out? That's just wrong!

It also makes you wonder what was going on in that house to make him so stressed, he brought on a UTI and yeast infection! I'm just so happy we have him back, and now we can find him a good home with good people. No more nut cases! :)

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Poor fella! :( Good to know he's getting the help he needs from you, though. What the heck was that woman putting him through??

LOL at the he/she issue! I know it's harder to tell on cats than on dogs when they're young. :)

heeler's rock!
June 6th, 2005, 02:41 PM
LOL at the he/she issue! I know it's harder to tell on cats than on dogs when they're young.

Funny thing is, he's not young! He's like 6 years old or so! We didn't bother to check as we were going on the assumption the lady that found him told us. She figured it was a girl, and since he was an original cat belonging to the rescue I'm with, his records said spayed I believe. Last I checked spaying is for a girl and neutering is a boy! It's too funny though. Boy did we feel dumb! :o :p

Lucky Rescue
June 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Awww poor Smokey!:( Sounds like he had a terrible time of it.:(

Boy did we feel dumb!

Don't feel bad. Someone I know had an INTACT tomcat in her home for a year and didn't know he wasn't neutered. If she didn't notice the horrendous smell, I shudder to think of what her house is like. :eek: