Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

swimming

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM
In all my life up until recently I had never met anyone who didn't know how to swim. Well, my BF can't swim. Neither can anyone in his family, nor does his sister in law.

I find this very odd. Sometimes it just doesn't compute. How can someone not know how to swim??

The problem herein lies because I want to go places that involve water sports, but it really sucks when you are the only one who can go.

I wanted to rent a cottage this summer just for a weekend at my favorite beach up in Georgian Bay, but what is the point? The rest of the people won't want to swim or kayak or canoe or boat or fish or anything. Just me.

I LOVE camping, tents and all that. No one I know likes it. They are like...what's the point? I love going, and swimming in the lakes, boating, canoeing.

I know my CPR, and I know that they all can wear life jackets, but if anything happened to the non-swimmers if they came along, I would feel horible, and I don't want to take that risk...so I'm afraid to even get in a canoe with them.

I grew up camping and swimming and doing outdoors stuff, and I miss spending my summers outdoors....

Eleni
June 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM
im actually a weak swimmer, and prefer not to swim

but i think, it started as a fear of the water and I just never really took the time to learn properly.

now i jsut prefer not too, ill go in wading pools with the kids, but i leave swimming up to others

Eleni

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Would you feel bad if you went somewhere and everyone else swam but you? My sisters family are all swimmers, and we could go away with them, but then my BF would be left alone on the beach. He will swim in water if he can touch the bottom, but that's it.

Eleni
June 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM
no, I dont worry about others swimming.

seriously i feel jsut as good sitting out and watching. my mom has a pool and I sit out all the time watching, i dont let it botehr anyone

Eleni

Blaze01
June 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
I never learned to swim but all of my friends and family know how. I just never took to the water and when I was younger refused to learn how. I dont really want to learn even now...its just the fear of drowning that keeps me out of the water. Good luck with finding someone to go with you. My friends beg to let them teach but I am to afraid...maybe if you offered to teach them or sign up your BF for some swimming classes?

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM
they aren't interested mostly. They aren't outdoorsy people. BF at least did take some swim lessons and I taught him a few things. Once you know how to float...you can do anything.

What I really want to do is go white water rafting again. That was so fun. But alas...no one to go with.

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 12:57 PM
In all my life up until recently I had never met anyone who didn't know how to swim. Well, my BF can't swim. Neither can anyone in his family, nor does his sister in law.

depends where you from.. A lot of people from the Desert can't swim..

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM
True. But my BF is from the Philipines. A friggin Island surrounded by water! You would think he would know how to swim from that. Aparently people don't swim there though.

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I used to swim a lot when I was a kid, but it's been years since I've been in a pool. I'm not a huge fan of swimming in lakes, though. Too many critters down there that I can't keep an eye on. :eek: Also, I'm not big on the outdoors either. I'm a mosquito magnet. Everyone else says, "There aren't any mosquitos out tonight!" Yeah, that's because they're all leaving you alone and having an all-you-can-eat Vicky buffet over here!! :evil:

Hubby doesn't know how to swim, and he regrets it and is always bugging me to sign the kids up for lessons. He loves the water - fishing and such - but he's terrified every time he gets in a boat, so he mainly fishes from the shoreline. We'd like to get a pool, but we can't put it on top of the septic's tile bed, so we'll have to wait until the town decides to bring in the sewers. :( Besides the septic system, we're also not keen on all the new "friends" we'll get once we put the pool in. :rolleyes:

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 01:34 PM
True. But my BF is from the Philipines. A friggin Island surrounded by water! You would think he would know how to swim from that. Aparently people don't swim there though.
LOL you gotta be kidding? you're right he's suppose to be an expert Swimmer!

Rick C
June 6th, 2005, 03:32 PM

I find this very odd. Sometimes it just doesn't compute. How can someone not know how to swim??

The problem herein lies because I want to go places that involve water sports, but it really sucks when you are the only one who can go.

I wanted to rent a cottage this summer just for a weekend at my favorite beach up in Georgian Bay, but what is the point? The rest of the people won't want to swim or kayak or canoe or boat or fish or anything. Just me.

I LOVE camping, tents and all that. No one I know likes it. They are like...what's the point? I love going, and swimming in the lakes, boating, canoeing.

I know my CPR, and I know that they all can wear life jackets, but if anything happened to the non-swimmers if they came along, I would feel horible, and I don't want to take that risk...so I'm afraid to even get in a canoe with them.

I grew up camping and swimming and doing outdoors stuff, and I miss spending my summers outdoors....

I guess I would say I have the same problem as I would classify myself as an "expert" swimmer - National Lifeguard status at one time, swim team member, Alberta championships one year - but my wife doesn't swim a stroke.

So I love going to Hawaii or Cancun but its not quite the same attraction for her.

But hey, I knew that when I married her. We spent our 20th anniversary these past few weeks in England. I guess you just gotta compromise on both sides to keep everyone happy.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Yeah. I agree about Hawaii. We went as his uncle and grandmother lived there. I would have loved to go snorkling but alas we could not.

Karin
June 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I was born in Ft. Lauderdale, raised in the keys, (Marathon). I am the youngest of four kids. My father started all of us by throwing one of his weights off of the weight belt into the shallow end of the pool. As soon as we could retreive the entire weight belt from the deep end of the pool, we got our first set of tanks. I was 7 years old, my 2 brothers and sister got there's when they were 6. Water has been such a natural part of my life I think I have grown gills.

Rick C
June 6th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Yeah. I agree about Hawaii. We went as his uncle and grandmother lived there. I would have loved to go snorkling but alas we could not.

My wife and I had an agreement when we were there . . . . I'd scoot off with the car to snorkel in the morning but be back by 11 or so to spend the rest of the day with her. It worked fine.

Of course, it would have been better to have someone around to go "oooh!!" and "aaaahhhh" with. . . . . or to reassure me I wasn't going to die when something unidentified took a big bite of my neck one morning.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM
We have always spent alot of time at a lake that's really close to our house and a river runs right through our town. We put our son in swimming lessons when he was really young because I was always worried that he might fall in the river. My mom lives right on the river, and it has really strong undercurrents - even in the really shallow spots. I am a strong swimmer and so is my hubby and son. I had to laugh when I read W4F's response - our lake is really cloudy, so you can't hardly see anything in it and we know that in places there are fish that could probably eat you whole, not to mention that over the years lots of people have drowned and never been found! Our lake can be very dangerous if the wind picks up and it can be deceptive. I know lots of people who won't get in the lake at all. My MIL is deathly afraid of water - she won't even go out on a boat. She says that it is because she almost drowned as a child. I think that if you have water close it's better to learn how to swim so that you at least have a fighting chance if something happens and you end up in the water. Doesn't mean that swimming has to be your favorite activity or anything! :p

We have some friends whose two kids are totally opposite when it comes to water. The little girl (6 yrs) is terrified of it, and will scream bloody murder if you even get her close to the lake and her little brother (4 yrs) loves it. Last year, Preston was playing by the shore on a floatie and Peyton was throwing rocks for their dog (he likes to do backflips into the water to chase them). We were all right there, but no one was really paying attention to the kids. We hear this "um....can anyone help me?" We turn around and Preston has let himself float away from shore - probably 10 feet or so. He's calm as can be, just lazily kicking his feet (which was taking him further away). :D

CyberKitten
June 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM
My parents threw ius in the water as soon as we could breathe PLUS I am from the Maritimes where life IS ON the water!! So yeah, I've gone thru all the swimming badges et al - taught swimming and worked as a life guard in hs and as an undergrad to earn money. I cannot imagine anyone not being able to swim but I do know fishermen who do not know how to swim. My next door neighbour growing up - now a Judge - always fished and never learned to swim. He always had mega lifejackets tho.

But like you, I do find it unusual for someone so knowledgable in other areas NOT to have at least taken swimming lessons or learned to swim with friend/relatives. I know to take out our boat, we had to pass various tests at the Yacht Club (not as ostentacious as it sounds - an old decrepit building someone termed a Yacht Club when they themselves had likely never saw one and owned a canoe) in order to be certified and boat safely. I know ppl go around these measures but they only hurt themselves in the end.

maddoxies
June 7th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I can't swim worth spit, but I went white water rafting on the Ottawa River anyways. I won the trip !!!! With the life jackets and helmets and spotters on the shores, it was thrilling, fun and I still felt safe. PM me if you want the name of the rafting company, they were particularly impressive.