Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy with loose stool

RainMan
June 6th, 2005, 10:20 AM
I have a 3 1/2 month old female lab/shepard puppy and she is periodically experiencing some very loose stool movements. We are feeding her Nutro Natural Choice for Puppies. This only started happening 2 weeks ago. The interesting thing is it doesn't last. She will have normal fairly firm stool movements for a few days and then she will have a problem for a few days and then normal, etc.. The really strange thing is this only happens in the evening/nightime. When she is going through a spell she will not go until about 4pm and it is always firm. Later in the evening she will go a couple more times with it getting looser and looser. She will wake us up 2 to 3 times in the night and will go each time. Sometimes she does a bum rub ( lacking the proper words) on the grass. Just when I think I should take her to the vet everthing returns to normal for a few days.

Of course her regular schedule is that she goes about 4 times a day starting first thing in the morning, and then spaced pretty evenly throughout the day.

She has three meals a day and always eats the food as soon as we give it to her. She drinks plenty of water all throughout the day. We notice no difference in her behaviour either when her stool is normal or not.

Now she does of course try to eat everything she sees. We monitor her closely indoors and when she is in the backyard. She is always trying to eat the grass,shrubs,ants, etc. We do not allow her to eat these things but of course sometimes she swallows them before we can do much about it.

We have an appointment in 10 days for her third vaccination shot. I don't think that we need to go in before that but I wanted to post here and get some feedback.

Sorry for the long post but I figured I would have to explain fully.

Eleni
June 6th, 2005, 10:27 AM
id say its possibly her food. however puppies can get sick fast with diarreah,

also when you go to the vet[sooner then later i hope]
bring a stool sample, they will want to test for parasites.

we had similar issues with our dog and it turned out to be his food, he was sensative to chicken

Eleni

RainMan
June 6th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I should of mentioned that 3 weeks ago we took a stool sample when we had her second shots and the it came back free of parasites. I guess she might of picked up something since then. The food never bothered her before. I hope its not that as I did a lot of research in picking her food and I really don't want to change if I don't have to.

poodletalk
June 6th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Give her some plain white yoghurt, it will settle her stomach.