Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Flea problem

oscar's mom
June 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Recently my small dog has gotten fleas. We thought we had it under control but it keeps coming back. I do not want them to spread into the house. Oscar is a small dog and is always inside except for walks and playing in the backyard. My husband and I suspect there is an infestation in the yard as that is the only source we can think of. Yesterday, I bough Frontline. Have any of you used it and is it good? Also, any recommendations on what to do for the yard?

Eleni
June 6th, 2005, 09:18 AM
honestly i dont use any over the counter products for fleas,

I use revolution that the vet prescribes, and never have we had fleas.

i dont even know what to suggest tog et rid of them besides revolution

Eleni

BeagleMum
June 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM
We are using Revolution as well for Spencer. I actually have to go pick it up tonight.

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Kills 98100% of existing fleas in less than 24 hours
Continues killing fleas for an entire month or more
Remains waterproof for 30 days, even if your dog or cat swims or is bathed
Gentle enough for use on puppies and kittens 8 weeks of age or older

That is what Frontline does. As far as the backyard goes, I don't believe there is anyway to do much about it. I would suggest buying a product to treat your home as well. There are many sprays available for treating the home. I have used Endalsec and Zodiac for my home and both have stopped the fleas dead in their tracks. Of course, that was many years ago now.

jessi76
June 6th, 2005, 10:09 AM
I use Frontline on both of my cats, and my puppy - this is the first year I've used it, and it's been great. no fleas so far! and it's been great for tick's too - they still get them, but they don't burrow in and bite. I've been very happy with it. I bought the Frontline for the cats at a pet store, but the vet gave me Frontline for the puppy at our first visit. They offered K9Advantix, another great product, but they said if you have cats who tend to snuggle with the dog they don't recommend it, as it can be very toxic to the cats - which is the reason I went for the Frontline.

ILoveMutts!
June 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I've used Advantix, primarily because it repels mosquitos and sand flies (carriers of leishmaniasis). It caused my dog to scratch and lick his back for three weeks. It was even worse for a friends dog; It scratched so hard that it caused wounds on its skin. Not a safe product for all dogs.

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Pardon the expression but I don't use any of that 'crap' on my dog. Pesticides are pesticides.....would you let you pet walk in front of the guy spraying the grass?? Probably not..well it's the same thing you put on your dog or have them injest. Cancer causing, tumour causing, immune system weakening poision. Yup I'm very opinionated about this issue.

There are ecologically friendly sprays for your yard AND if you put garlic powder in your dogs food it tends to keep the fleas away.

If I find the link to an on line site that I posted before where you can order 'natural' sprays for your yard I'll post if for you.

For the record I used to use those flea control products myself....until that is...my dog died from multiple cancerous tumour growths that started in the adrenal gland.... a very popular cancern initiation spot due to pesticides.

Just an fyi! :D

ILoveMutts!
June 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I agree with you Luba, but what about sand flies? Leishmaniasis is a major dog killer in my part of the world. Is there a natural product I can use on my dog and feel safe that he won't get bitten by sand flies?

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Fleas sure are pesty and yes it's a worry about how infested a pet and our yards can be of them! Controlling them is difficult but if you have an infestation it can be done more naturally.

We get sand fleas here as well, have been bitten myself many times by them. So far this year not ONE flea has bitten or been on Sadie...she never scratches, has no flea dirt in her coat and things are very very good.

I do home cook for her and with every thing I cook I put garlic powder in it and the time about a year ago when she did have a couple of fleas I picked them out myself...gave her a bath and put oil of oregano drops on her skin here and there through her coat.

They never came back (I promise I'm not lying)
I'll look for links :D

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/1224/fleas.html
Fleas on your Pet

1. Give your dog 1/2 clove of crushed garlic, mixed in with your dog's food, once a day. Good bye, fleas. To keep your dog flea free, continue giving garlic everyday. Garlic is safe and promotes good digestive health.

2. Brewer's yeast added to the diet has been touted as a sure cure for fleas, but recently information has come to light suggesting that the large amount of brewer's yeast necessary to eliminate fleas might cause health problems. Instead of adding brewer's yeast to your dog's diet, try sprinkling it on your pet. Thoroughly rub it into the coat to make sure it reaches the skin. It is best to do this outside, because the fleas cannot stand the smell of yeast and will jump off of your pet.

Note: you can use brewer's yeast in conjunction with garlic.

3. Mix a few drops of the herb pennyroyal or eucalyptus oil into your pet's shampoo.

Note: Undiluted pennyroyal oil can be toxic and should never be used at full strenght.

4. Use a flea spray on your dog. Sprays containing D-limonene or pyrethrins are effective and less toxic than some sprays.

Fleas in the Environment

1. For fleas in the house you can sprinkle table salt on carpets, floors, furniture, and in cracks and crevices around baseboards where fleas hide. Wait one or two hours and vacuum.

2. Vacuuming is an extremely effective, nontoxic way to keep the flea population down. Be sure to change the vacuum bag frequently when you have a flea problem, after each vacuuming is best. Or you can take the bag outside after each use and put it in direct sun which will kill the fleas inside. Then you can reuse the bag. If you have a big freezer you can also put the bag in the freezer to kill the fleas inside it.

3. Wash your pet's bedding at least once week.

4. Plug in a night light and put a wide pan partially filled with water underneath. Some will leap toward the light, fall in the pan and drown in the water.

5. You can sprinkle diatoms (diatomaceous earth) on carpeting and upholstered furniture. Diatoms are sold in pet stores.

6. For yard infestions use nematodes-microscopic worms. These are available at pet and garden stores.

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 02:54 PM
I posted this information oct 2003

I've been doing some research and I'd like to share it with you all regarding natural alternatives to harmful chemicals.

Some of these are alternatives to what we put on our pets and what we spray on our lawns. If you follow the links there is even greater information.

I hope this is beneficial to you, and that you enjoy the read.

From Greenpeace

http://www.greenpeaceusa.org/living/001013_ants.html

Ticks and fleas:

Before implementing any of the suggestions below, consult your veterinarian.
If your pets are infested, wash them well with soap and warm water, dry them thoroughly. Use a special, narrow tooth flea comb to remove any remaining adult fleas and eggs. Drop them into the soapy water.
Then, use this herbal rinse: add 1/2 cup (125 ml) of fresh or dried rosemary to 1 quart/liter of boiling water. Steep 20 minutes, strain, and allow to cool to body temperature. Spray or sponge evenly onto pet and allow to air dry. Do not towel down as this will remove the residue. Make sure pets are dry before letting them outside.

Other natural flea repellants include eucalyptus, citronella, cedarwood, pennyroyal (only fresh or dried leaves; the oil is highly toxic to both humans and pets), and black walnut leaves. You'll find these ingredients in "essential oil" flea dips or herbal flea collars.
Herbal repellents are most useful once the flea population is under control. Pyrethrum powders, made from Chrysanthemum flowers, can generally be used directly on pets. Avoid getting powder into pet's eyes, nostrils, mouth. Wear a dust mask. When cats clean themselves, they will ingest some, so don't over apply, and powder only when necessary.
Vacuum the house frequently at the beginning of your treatment for fleas. Seal and dispose of the vacuum bag away from pets and outside the house. Clean pet bedding regularly. Steam clean the carpet; this will kill adult fleas, the larvae and some eggs. The heat will trigger some of the eggs to hatch, so be prepared to vacuum soon after steam cleaning. Apply a dusting of diatomaceous earth or silica gel to pet bedding, under furniture and around house's foundation.

From Gardens Alive
http://www.gardens-alive.com/item_d...140&PROG_NBR=12

Insect Growth (I.G.) Regulator is similar to an insect growth hormone.

It works by disrupting the flea's life cycle so that flea eggs and larvae don't develop into adults.

Mix 1 ounce with 1 gallon of water to spray 1,500 square feet of carpets, furniture, pet sleeping areas and lawns. (Won't harm fabrics.) Effective for 7 months. (Use other products to kill fleas on your pets just before or after you use I.G. Regulator). 4 ounces covers 6,000 sq. ft.
3140 Insect Growth Regulator 1 oz (covers 1,500 sq ft) $12.95 Quantity
3141 Insect Growth Regulator 4 oz (covers 6,000 sq ft) $34.99 Quantity

From BioControl
http://www.biconet.com/pets/fleaPack.html
Dog Flea & Tick Relief, 2 pack
For Dogs

Vet's Best Dog Flea & Tick Relief combines 8 oz bottles of All-in-1 Flea Relief Shampoo and All-in-1 Herbal Relief Spray. Dramatic relief for flea allergy dermatitis, raw "hot spots," itching and scratching, and ticks.

All-in-1 Flea Shampoo
All-in-1 Flea Shampoo controls fleas with pure, natural d' Limonene from citrus sources while at the same time soothing sore, irritated skin with Oatmeal and Tea Tree Oil. These non-toxic shampoos are available in both dog and cat formulas.

Contains:
D-Limonene, Micronized Oatmeal, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Lavender, Citronella, Bay Leaf Extract, Eucalyptus Oil, Pennyroyal Oil.

All-in-1 Flea Relief Herbal Spray

Natural All-in-1 Flea Relief Herbal Spray with oatmeal was developed by a veterinarian to give pests fast relief from itching and other skin problems due to flea infestation. D'Limonene from citrus sources, Tea Tree Oil, micronized oatmeal and a unique blend of herbs are combined in a soothing, non-toxic spray.

Contains:
Micronized Oatmeal, D'Limonene, Tea Tree Oil, Aloe Vera, Chamomile, Calendula, Yucca, Chrysanthemum, Lavender.

Ecozone Pyrethrum Insect Powder

Pure powder derived from 100% African Chrysanthemum flowers.

Pyrethrum Powder is toxic to fleas, roaches, ants, silverfish and many other insects. It can be mixed with diatomaceous Earth and/or Boric Acid for an even more effective kill ratio. This product is 100% organic.

BT4550 Pyrethrum Powder, 7 oz. (0.7#) $11.95
BT4551 Pyrethrum Powder, 5 lb. (5.2#) $70.00

Mosquito Barrier

Mosquito Barrier kills and chases mosquitoes, ticks and fleas out of your yard and away from your house immediately upon spraying and keeps them out for 2 to 4 weeks, sometimes longer. It's lasting effects are shortened by excessive rain and humidity. It is often effective though 2 to 3 rain storms. Occasionally two sprays are sufficient for an entire summer. The Garlic odor disappears in about 30 minutes. Mosquito Barrier is a very strong Liquid Garlic that is diluted in water and sprayed on grass, shrubs, flowers and into any trees in the area. One quart of Mosquito Barrier may be enough for the average lawn for the entire mosquito season. One gallon covers 5 acres or covers 1 acre 5 times and is all natural with no harmful chemicals or poisons.

How Mosquito Barrier Works:
Mosquito Barrier is a very strong liquid garlic made from very potent garlic cloves. Garlic has a natural sulfur which deters insects, including mosquitoes, ticks and fleas. Garlic juice has been used for over a hundred years on garden plants to keep insects away. It's the sulfur that the insects don't like.

ILoveMutts!
June 6th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Are sand fleas the same as sand flies? The "official" name for sand flies is Phlebotomus Papatasi. And here's a link on Leishmaniasis: http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/diseases/leishmania.htm