Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

puppy teeth not falling out?

JJC
June 6th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Hi all
Tosa is almost 6 months and has lost most of her puppy teeth. However she has some adult teeth coming in before the puppy teeth are ready to fall out. Right now it is her upper and lower canines. One upper canine fell out almost two months ago so the new one there is coming in fine but the other side is not even loose yet and the adult tooth is pushing through beside it. Both lowers are doing the same thing so the puppy teeth are starting to poke out to the side. They are starting to get loose so I'm not as concerned with them but the top one is solid. She looks like a boar. :D Is this anything I should be worried about or is it normal?

Here is the uppper tooth.

JJC
June 6th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Here are the lower teeth.

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 08:33 AM
GREAT pictures :D

I'd worry about overlapping and lower canines digging into the roof of the mouth. That can be very very painful.

I'd let the vet look at it and ask for a referal to a dentist. My dog had to have braces to adjust the canines. Simple procedure and didn't cost much. However with overlapping they'd probably have to extract.

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I would think that when you have your dog in for altering, they will remove the baby teeth while under anesthetic. I know they did that with my Brandy as she had two baby teeth that weren't at all loose but sitting beside the others.

Lissa
June 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
Dodger's teeth were like that too as a puppy! Like BMDLuver said, they will probably suggest to have them removed when you get the pup fixed. But I ended up taking Dodger to a spay/neuter clinic so that never happened. He was about 10 months old by the time the last upper canine tooth fell out!

kandy
June 6th, 2005, 03:30 PM
I don't have any other suggestions, but I wanted to say that those are great pictures! I have a hard enough time just looking in Hazel's mouth, and here you got pictures - clear ones even! I am impressed! :pawprint:

JJC
June 6th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks folks. One of the lower teeth fell out today. :thumbs up The other one is loose so they should be good. That upper one though is solid. She'll be going in to be altered in few weeks so I'll see what they say.

As for the pics they weren't easy to get. :eek: Those were the two good clear shots out of about 20. :) To get her to stay still for more than two seconds is a chore in of itself let alone long enough to get the camera to focus in macro mode! Maybe I should post them in the close ups thread in the photos forum. :cool: