Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy wants to sleep in bed

Mom2many
June 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have a new puppy, a boston terrier/poodle, and her previous mommy's daughter always took her to bed with her, so now she's used to it and cries to come in bed with me. I don't know whether I should or whether I should train her to stay in the little bed I made up for her beside mine? If she sleeps in my bed, isn't it hard then to have someone doggy sit for her sometime because then she'll expecting to stay in their bed?

Thanks in advance!

Beautygirl
June 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Beauty slept on our bed the first couple of nights. Then she would only sleep there if dh was working. Now she doesn't sleep on our bed at all. She sleeps under the bed or on her chair.

levimh
June 5th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Old dogs can learn new tricks. :)

If you want her to sleep in a crate or bed, I'm sure you could teach her to. Levi always wants to sleep on my bed and he'll only get up on it early in the morning - the rest of the time he's not allowed up.

If you have to, you could tie her leash to something and make her sit in her bed. Praise her in the morning when you get up, if she hasn't whined or cried to get on the bed. I'm sure something like that would work - i haven't had to train to stay on a bad, so I'm not sure if that's correct.

Lissa
June 5th, 2005, 06:53 PM
With Dodger's endless persistence I let him up on the bed. This occured when he was 5 months old and half the size he is now. Now, at about 65lbs and 25.5 inches tall, he takes up nearly the entire double bed. I'm serious!

My family have the same concerns - if I ever brought him anywhere else overnight he would try to get on the bed! I think they're right so like Levimh suggested, I would have to tie him to something to stop him. That's what I had to do when he was a pup - but it didn't change his plans of total domination of MY bed :king: !!

Levimh - that's exactly how Dodger started too - he got on the bed in the morning, licked me to death and then it was time to get up. Now he's usually in bed before I am, waiting for me to tuck him in and then proceeds to kick me towards the edge of the bed :rolleyes: ! RUDE!

LavenderRott
June 5th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Sleeping on your bed gives him a "leg up" in the pack. Since this is a young puppy, I think I would make sure that he had some training and knew his place in the pack before he was allowed bed privelges.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM
sam wanted i our bed, but because of the baby that was a no go.

we put him in the crate from day one. when he winpered we would say in a very monotone voice sam sleep.

if he persisted we took him out to pee and put him right back and repeated till he got the point, sleep there and whine jsut when you need to pee

Eleni

Luba
June 5th, 2005, 08:04 PM
I've never had a problem with it. My dog has slept with me since she was a wee pup...it actually helped me for those times when she was either sick or had to go out, as I would hear/feel her move. She was quite comfortable sleeping with me and I with her. She's no more 9lbs more like close to 60lbs and for the most part now finds her own cooler spots to sleep.

I don't find it an issue unless the dog becomes alpha/dominating towards the bedroom or the bed.

Enjoy the puppy time they grow up soooo fast! :D

kandy
June 5th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Hazel wants to be in the bed all the time, but she doesn't sleep very well there. I think its too hot. She can't get on the bed by herself, but she can put her paws on the edge and if you are too close, she'll paw you in the face! :eek: She has her own bed right next to mine, and she has a cool pad that she sleeps on. She is pretty good about laying there to sleep but when she decides that you should be up, or that she wants to play, she will definitely get your attention! Soon she'll be able to get on the bed by herself and then I'm sure the games will really begin! :p

My mom's rotti always slept in the bed, under the covers, head on the pillow. If you were lucky enough to get there first, you might get enough room to actually be in the bed and not just on the edge! If she didn't think she had enough room, she would stretch, and stretch (groaning the whole time) until she had pushed you to the side and taken up most of the bed.

BeagleMum
June 5th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Ya, we tried he crate thing with Spencer and it laster for one night. By the second night, he realized that he didn't want to be in a crate beside the bed and cried like crazy. For a few nights he would sleep in my arms but if I fell asleep, I was afraid that he would walk away and pee on the bed without me noticing. After that, we would put him in a crate between us on the bed for the night and that worked out well. As soon as we put him in there, he would go right to sleep, but he had to be on the bed. With time however, he has lost the crate and is now unde rthe covers between us in bed, usually crosswise. We don't mind, always look forward to the droopy tired eyes in the morning asking us for just 5 more minutes.

MollysMommy
June 6th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Molly sleeps in my bed every night. Sometime she'll cuddle right next to me, but mostly she likes to sleep at the end. I really enjoy it because she is the cutest thing to wake up to, all her silly stretches and the faces she makes. Besides, whenever she has to go outside, she'll come walking up to my face, usually using my body as her path. I have to say that it's much better than her whining or barking. Only once was she OK with sleeping in her kennel and that was the first day we got her. She was drugged up from her spay surgery. But there are times when we are not at home and visiting relatives that she'll sleep on her own bed.

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 11:32 AM
We let Meater sleep in the bed with us as a puppy! If you do not mind her sleeping in the bed later on I would say than let her. They are only little so long enjoy it! :D

jessi76
June 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
We have a crate next to our bed for Tucker, he normally goes in, no problem, and occasionally cries for a minute or 2. He's still a pup (12wks) so we're up at least once (sometimes 2x) during the night for outside potty time. more often than not we have trouble re-crating him after going out to pee. He seems awake then, and wants to play - so in an effort to settle him back down, we sometimes let him snuggle in bed with us.