Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Its Finally Happened, Their Out Of Water

melanie
June 5th, 2005, 06:24 PM
my parents live in a town called goulburn, it is the heart of marino country in NSW. anyways they will be the first town to offically run out of water, they have 8% water left in the town dam (if it does not rain by christmas they will begin tearing down industry there, there is talk of the town dying) their water would have lasted longer if sydney did not steal it, they steal it andsuck the place dry, so the city slicekers can water plants :mad: . they have even drained the local swimming pool for the water, now the kids suffer more...., my parents are not on town supply, and mum jsut rang to say

THE TANKS ARE DRY AND THEY HAVE NO WATER AT ALL (cant even flush the toilet or give the dog a fresh bowl of water).

i have some big drums and bottles in the shed, i am currently filling them up and will do a water run to mum today, its a 3hr return drive but there is nothing else we can do, they cant even buy enough to fill the tank. they can get 20000litres (quater of a tank) for $140 from canberra, it will take 3hrs return to get that water also, and they cant afford to pay that much for water, its basically robbery to charge that for water, usually 20000litres cost around $50, so all the shiesters are getting the big bucks by ripping of ppl with no choice..

this is the reality of drought, not only will we have no crops at al l this year but now the town supplies are drying up, and the government dont have any suitable plans to help us,.we have had el nino back to back for years, and now were stuffed.

in some towns the allocation of water per house is very small, a family of 5 is allocated 400ltrs a day, thats hardly anything, ppl are showering every few days instead of daily, its terrible.

the following link is about the glb issue, in the article you see the local dam, when i was al ittle girl we used to swinm there and honestly thought it was the sea, it was that big, now its not even a puddle.....

www.theage.com.au/news/Drought/ Goulburn-could-run-dry-in-eight-months/2005/05/19/1116361673744.html

well every tap in the house is filling something at the mo, yes it will effect our water levels here but we dont have a choice but to share....wehre we go, i am now a water carter.... (if you can find the water, its a lucrative business these days for sure)..crap this is not good at all.....

iRONKNiGHT
June 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM
WOW Mel that's Crazy!!

you know its a shame water is a resource most people take advantage of....till there is a shortage and you risk going without.
your family will be in my thoughts
Eleni
LOL you make it sound like they've kicked the bucket!

Luba
June 5th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Geeze whiz cheeze whiz Mel!!

That's scary stuff Would they consider relocating?

lilith_rizel
June 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Mel, if I could have, I would send you the rain we got the past 3 days! I am praying for you and your family to get some rain here soon.

melanie
June 5th, 2005, 06:55 PM
there is no point relocating, they own their house and no one is going to buy a house that has no water in the drought, the house prices in town have dropped. not to mention dads work is there and they have lived there their whole lives, its jsut not an option. although i did suggest to mum they stay here on weekends, just to make it easier, it will also save me a third run a week. i am going to do two runs a week for now, and we will see how long that lasts.

i had one of my auntys ring and ask me to bring her water to, i had to say no. i cant do that. we have little water left ourselves and we are paying huge prices for it, it has to be immeadiate family first (my aunt has sons, they will find her water)..

one months water in a rented house costs us $50 after the owners have paid most of it, we only pay a portion. that used to be the charge every 3 months...but at least we have about 1yrs water left here, you never know it might rain yet.....

and the water tastes foul, its so full of chlorine a drink or shower is like a swim in a plunge pool full of chlorine...i think i might move to paris, i hear they have ridiculous amonts of water over there :cool: :rolleyes:

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 06:58 PM
you know its a shame water is a resource most people take advantage of....till there is a shortage and you risk going without.

your family will be in my thoughts

Eleni

melanie
June 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM
oh and its not jsut us.

my friend lives at the other end of the state, about 12hrs away. she is a single mum on a property with a sml girl.. she lives 50km form the nearest town. she was lucky to get work on a neighboring pig farm forthe past 2yrs.... but due to the drought the pigs are costing $32000 to feed a WEEK. they can no longer afford to feed the pigs and have stopped breeding, the pig farm closes on the 30th june, and so does her job. she has no where else to go for work....and thats jsut one farm out of many, they are all in this position........a cow at the moment is worth about $800, they used to be worht many thousands......

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Wow. That's so sad.

now..I have a REALLY stupid question. PLease don't jump on me, but it's something I've always wondered. Can't you make drinking water out of the ocean water? They do have plants that do that right? I'm just thinking of when I was living on a caribean island a few years ago, and while people got water from the rain, they could also purchase water from a plant that converted water fromt he ocean.

melanie
June 5th, 2005, 08:38 PM
rain girl thats not a silly question.

using sea water and removing the salt for useage is called desalination.

its a feasable idea if you ahve the power source. but unfortunatly we do not have the ability to generate the power needed to produced desalinised water. it takes huge amounts of coal to generate our power (green pwr on rise but coal powered cheaper) and coal is a precious resource, sydney cannot produce enough power now to get through summer, they are costantly loosing power and blacking out let alone to produce usable water. i know in some countries they desalinate using wind generated power, but the aust govt does not liek to support the renewable energies industries.

they have suggested nuclear power for the desal plants, but in a country like australia that is a pipe dream, most of us dont support the nuclear industries and see it as too dangerous to contemplate, the govt will not take the risk of loosing the next election over this issue.

ALSO its a little too late, we could never establish desal plants in time or in a manner that would service more ppl, it woud be restricted to the cities, for instance if sydney got one they could only provide enough water for sydney, not the rest of us, and that is the main reason most tax payers wont support it, why should we pay for sydney...

the other options include grey water recycling. that is taking all grey water (grey wter is dish water, shower water etc, black water is water from sources such as from the toilet) it is currently possible to recycle grey water so it can be reused in the shower or toilet or it can even be drunk. it is filtered and treated enough so you dont know the diff.

the biggest option available- sensible resource use and allocation. cities such as sydney shouldf have their water halved and the remaining should go to the country and farmers, why should they have gardens in sydney but no crops in mudgee?? its stupid.

we live in one of the most arid countries in the world, and we need to start acting like we do. its funny the only reason the cities notice the droguht is because it affects them, other wise they would not care.

if you use water wisely it can last. if you shower every few days and only flush the loo when necessaery it can make a huge diff(we have a toilet saying here- if its yellow let it mellow, if its brown send it down), dont ahve a garden, wash clothes when their really dirty and you ahve a full load, when showering or turning on a tap put a bucket underneath to catch all you can.. you may say its grose, but that is partly why we have the problem, ppl need to change their attitudes to water use. for eg.we put a plug in the shower every time, we then fil up the shower while we wash, we then pump it out it out onto our veges and if its not too dirty i will redirect it to the washing machine for the first wash cycle. we can survive, it jsut means we have to be thrifty with our water use. and i for one am happy to drink trreated grey water, its gottas taste better than what is coming out of the taps...

or other wise we can all move to tasmania (it may sink though), it seems to rain a bit there.... :rolleyes:

it will rain one day, the only problem is when, it could be tomorrow but as is currently predicted it wont be till 2008..

right of to mums with the water, the car is like a moving swimming pool today, splish splash.....( asnd i cant get caught, its illeagle to steal water, which is effectivly what i am doing, its a $3000 fine if yoru caught, i will jsut cover em up :D i feel like a bushranger 'STAND AND DELIVER')

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 08:54 PM
That's so weird that you don't reuse grey/black water. We do. It is actually deposited in the lake (which I don't agree with) and then the lake water is treated. We have these special "ponds" where the contents are "cured"...I don't really know much about it, but they have them along certain areas of the waterfront. Aparently all the chemicals and bacteria evaporate over a certain time, then the ponds are drained into the lake. They also have long tubes that go out deep into lake ontario with all the waste.

Wow. Didn't know desalinization required that much power. Sad huh? Can you water plants with salt water? I assume not since too much salt can kill a plant...

Luba
June 5th, 2005, 09:01 PM
This is a very informative topic. I wish there were a majic wand I could wave to send lots of rain your way to atleast fill reservoirs and such.

The livestock must be suffering greatly. Reminds me of the famines in South Africa.

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 09:11 PM
You know in my plant circle of friends, there is an ongoing joke that if you dance around in a bikini in the middle of the day...it's like a rain dance. It will also help flowers bloom...just a suggestion.

kandy
June 5th, 2005, 09:39 PM
WOW - I knew that there was a drought, but I didn't know how bad it was. I know what you mean about sending all your water away - we have been sending water to Nevada and California for years. In recent years, the drought here has caused a local lake to drop it's levels by about 50% - it was so bad that they were talking about closing access to the lake. We didn't have the problems that Lake Powell did but still it was pretty bad. It has rained quite a bit this spring, and we got lots of really late snow storms - so our situation has improved a bit.

I wish there was something we could do for you. I didn't realize that it was so hard to desalinate water either - its too bad the Aussie government didn't plan for this and build those plants years ago.

melanie
June 6th, 2005, 02:25 AM
luba sadly it is becoming too expensive for many farmers to feed stock. as is the case of my friends work. basically when the feed runs out its kinder to shoot them than it is too keep them alive and starve them to death. no one will buy them and you cant get meat of a starving cow...... most ppl will jsut use less meat, lamb is so expensive at the moment as is pork and beef, and that in turn does not hlep the farmers, its a stupid circle.

raingirl its way too bloody cold to be out there in a bikini, imm certainly not doing it, i will jsut do it in me ugboots instead :angel:

kandy glad you got some water, but use it wisely you never know how long it will last....

oh and you hit it on the head, everyone is walking around asking why the govt didnt do something years ago, its not like we have ever had lots of water. its the stupid political system really, well i bet the next election will be different, i hope anyway.

after talking to you about desalinisation, i was thinking about showering in salty water. if you had a system that was some how intolerant of the rust, i cant see why sea water cant be used to shower and fluch etc surely there is some way, does salt affect plastic tanks i wondeer?? if you put it in a tank and carted it by hand it is possible... you only really need fresh water to drink i suppose.... i wonder....

i was listening to the radio and they were talking about all the things that rely on fresh water and what will happen if it did all run out. they were talking about changes caused and going back to a simpler way of life, and not by choice either! its interesting when you think about it how many things rely on fresh water to be produced or used or consumed....WOW

AND CHARLIE IS STARTING TO STINK, thats the worst of it, the rivers are all stagnant and not safe for dogs to swim in and realistically she does not need a bath, she is just starting to go on the pongy side is all, she thinks it justwonderful... :angel: i was thinking of driving down to the coast soon and swiming her there :rolleyes:

but then we have had droughts before, and it does rain again eventually. i might just go outside with my umbrella, dog and a cup of tea and wait, yes i think that is what i will do....just wait........

melanie
June 6th, 2005, 02:43 AM
oh and negative nancy here forgot to mention one thing- its sunny every single day....not a cloud in the sky.....and thats kinda pretty really..... :angel:

and as i have said to my sister many times, 'if we die in a drought at least we will know it was on a sunny day, now isnt that reassuring' she does not agree... :D :D

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Mel that is awful! I knew it was bad but not that bad! People here waste so much we do not realize what we have to be thankful for! My neighbor washes his car every day and will use a ton of water. I will be praying that it rains over there soon.

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 12:18 PM
What if you froze the water? Then you aren't stealing water, you are transporting ice! Just a thought...

As for Charlie, have you thought about Febreze?

Seriously, though, apparently there is some kind of poweder you can get to put on the dog so it doesn't stink. Daisy used to come home every once in a while from puppy daycare smelling like puppy pot-pourri.

Hopefully this will be the nudge your government needs to finally do something! But if it works like most other governments, it may not be enough.

Rick C
June 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM
In Okotoks, Alberta, they have a Master Plan in place where they will limit the population of the town to the number of people the Sheep River watershed can sustain on a long term basis. Its supposed to be unique in North America I think.

I'd also say there are numerous incidences in Canada where whole towns have been abandoned, buildings and all, when the mine has closed or some such reason.

Sometimes that happens and it sucks if you own property there.

Sadly, there's a heavy rainfall warning for where I'm sitting as I'm typing this.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca