Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Darn CURTAINS!

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 05:16 PM
So. We got a stud finder. I moved it all around where I wanted to put my fixture. I was pretty sure the area I wanted was clear..so I start drilling. Nope...solid. So, I choose another area, nope, solid.

WHAT THE HECK?? How on earth am I supposed to put up curtains on a 101 inch window if I can't install them to the ceiling?? With a window that length, you need 3 to 4 supports, so I can't just put peices at either end, I need a middle peice. And I can't find anywhere to install the middle peice!

It's 85F in our apartment because we haven't had curtains up all week, and had hot blaring sun shining in ALL DAY LONG!

I'm desperate! Why won't the stud finder work?? It doesn't even tell me what is there...but whatever it is, I can't drill threw it. We have a hammer drill and concrete bits, so if it was concrete, we should be able to drill threw it. If it was metal, I could see why we couldn't, but wouldn't metal show up on a stud finder. It looks like we hit some kind of concrete though, not metal.

It's an apartment mind you, not a house, so it probably isn't drywall on the ceiling, just the popcorn and concrete underneath. How on earth did the previous people put curtains up?? I even drilled right beside where they did and I couldn't get threw.

I really want to cry. It's so hot. I want to put up my black out curtains to keep the heat out. I'm afraid Odin is going to overheat.

melanie
June 5th, 2005, 05:41 PM
is there any way you could hang a blanket, for now. use the holesthe old curtains hung on and put nails through a sheet or blanket and gently balance over window till night. or move a cupboard or such in front of window, or balance old doors, wood or anything against window. also helps to put a wet teatowel over the fan, keep any eye on it but its not too dangerous if you dont leave it on while out. and go and lie on the kitchen floor for a while, i bet that wil lcool you down.... (or find any cold concrete surface, do you ahve a basement, go for it)...l as far as odin goes, can you get him to lie on the bathroom tiles, it works wonders for my girl on a hot day.....

my love this is a big job, you have been at it for days now, perhaps its time to ring a professional (i know it costs but you need curtains and dont seem to be succeding). go on ring em, it will make life so easy........ :angel:

lilith_rizel
June 5th, 2005, 05:46 PM
that's what I would have done. I have no patience for that kind of stuff....

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM
velcrow

i once had the same problem and used velcrow and a multi purpose glue[ i went to the hardware store and explained what id use it for the the clerk and he found one for me] and velcrowed the drapes to the window,

the glue is easy to get off when you move with pulling the velcrow off and a quick scrub with a brillo pad.

Eleni

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 05:53 PM
I'm going to head to the hardware store tomorrow and ask them why it won't work. A masonry drill bit SHOULD work. I am going to enquire about having someone come and install it or see if renting a more powerfull drill for a couple hours would be cheaper.

unfortunately it's such a large window, and I took down all the old hardware, so I have nothing to attach anything temporary too. I really feel sorry for people who live in "new age" condos/lofts that are all concrete with tall windows.

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Man Raingirl you are having a hard time with those curtains. I know what you are going through, we are in the middle of remodeling and it seems like once you get a great idea get all the stuff for it, it never works. Hope you can get those curtains up soon. Do you all air in your house?