Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

whats for dinner??

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 03:37 PM
bbq chicken and potatoes for us, its actually a pre cooked meal we got at the grocery store.

our apartment gets too warm to cook on hot days, so anything that requires mroe then a quick warm up is out.

we are looking at air conditioners since ours is about to die a horrible death

i was thinking 1000$[wich was the price when we bought our first one]

and I found one I really like for 600$

i feel like i hit the lottery.

hehe

but alas we ahve to wait, sams neuter is this week and all our "extra" cash goes to that.

Eleni

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 04:04 PM
You can actually get them a lot cheaper than that. My parents got one for $250. It was a window one, not meant to do a whole lot of rooms, but they put it in the living room and it cooled the whole upper floor of the house.

Go to places like sears or bay outlet stores. It might be worth it to drive. I saw some in the $250 to $400 range at the sears outlet store at 407 and hwy 10 (probably and hour drive from you). THese are the floor models or last years stock.

Also, check repair shops. People take theirs in and if it costs a lot to repair them, so they just sell them to the owners. The owners fix them and sell the used fixed ones really cheap. Check manufacturers websites (like GE) and see their list of registered repair shops, and call around to them. Don't but one from a repair shop unless they are registered to repair the brand you are getting.

Oh yeah, and an easy formula to find out the amount of BTU's you need for the size of room is:

Find the square footage of the room (Length times width) and multiply by 35. So..if the room is 10 ft by 15 ft, that's 150 ft, and you would need only about a 5250 BTU AC to cool that room. More BTU means more energy and more $$$ so only buy what you need.

Here is some other info I found:

In addition, you should follow the following guidelines for proper selection:

If the room is shaded, reduce the Btus by 10%.
If the room is very sunny, increase the Btus by 10%.
If you plan on placing the air conditioning unit in your kitchen, add 4,000 Btus.
If more than two people will regularly be in the room (e.g., an office), add 600 Btus per person.

Here is a website with lots of info:

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/aircond/aircond3.html

Good luck!

lilith_rizel
June 5th, 2005, 04:23 PM
supper for me is going to be au graten potatoes! Yumm. And Judith gets some barely cereal, with a bit of watermelon/apple sause mixed in. Loves that stuff. Her first fruit was watermelon, and she loves it....now i just through in some peices apple and watermelon into the blender, and make about 2 days worth, and she eats alot better when that is part of her meal. Good thing too, because she is starting to take 8 ounces of formula every 3 hours if I don't feed her solid foods. She is getting to be such a hungry little girl.

Lizzie
June 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM
You can also rent air conditioners in bigger cities--which St. Catharines sort of is.

Renting here for a whole season--until October--costs about 200 bucks for a 1bedroom apt window unit. This would include the installation and take down too.

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 07:13 PM
What is this "air conditioner" you speak of? Is this something new?

lol

Weather here is a nice balmy 86 degrees, 90% humidity. And it has only just begun.

I love this weather..I like it even hotter. August is one of my favorite months. I have had the ac going for a few months now mainly for Ciara. If I turn it off, she pants so hard she sucks all of the oxygen out of the room.
If only she could check her coat in at the door...

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 07:16 PM
renting an a/c isnt really an option, we use ours 24/7 from june till late sept october

asthma bothers me in the summer and i really dont deal with heat well.

im gonna look other places for a new window unit, im sure i can find a decent price im just figureing you pay for quality right?

id love it to last a long whie if we are gonna drop some money on a new one.

decisions decisions

Eleni

Sneaky2006
June 5th, 2005, 09:51 PM
We had burgers and hotdogs on the grill, AGAIN!
The upside was we had pasta salad with it.
I need some new menus... I can't stand grilling all summer!

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Sneaky, I'm the opposite. I would grill every day if I had a BBQ. Can't BBQ in an apartment without a balcony! That's the only thing that sucks where I am.

You can cook ANYTHING on a BBQ. Ever done BBQ pizza? BBQ tacos? I love chicken, pork, beef..any meet off the grill (except fish...I don't eat fish or seafood). I have a GAZILLION grilling recipes if you ever need any. Do you like lime? I have a great recipe for lime chicken. Just take lime juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, and mix together with chopped fresh cilantro. Mariniate chicken breasts/thighs/whatever overnight, and pop on the grill.

iRONKNiGHT
June 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM
well it's 10.01 and i'll have Poutine for Dinner :) YUMMY POUTINEEEEEEE
it will give a heart-attack.. that's a risk i'm willing to take :D

melanie
June 6th, 2005, 02:32 AM
OMG, WTF ironknight what on earth are you eating, my god what is that??? are you still alive??? :D

tonight we have homemade pizza. it is lebanese bread with asparagus tips, sundried tomatos, tomato sauces (homemade), olives, pineapple, onion, choped fresh tomato, capsicum (apparently you call them peppers), meat (for him) no meat for me :D , fresh basil, parsley, garlic topped with any cheese i can find at the time.

all this takes five minutes and costs hardly anything.... yayayayay i love pizza. :D

every other night it has been soup, lots and lots and lots of soup..... :o

Sneaky2006
June 6th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Sneaky, I'm the opposite. I would grill every day if I had a BBQ. Can't BBQ in an apartment without a balcony! That's the only thing that sucks where I am.

You can cook ANYTHING on a BBQ. Ever done BBQ pizza? BBQ tacos? I love chicken, pork, beef..any meet off the grill (except fish...I don't eat fish or seafood). I have a GAZILLION grilling recipes if you ever need any. Do you like lime? I have a great recipe for lime chicken. Just take lime juice, salt, pepper, olive oil, and mix together with chopped fresh cilantro. Mariniate chicken breasts/thighs/whatever overnight, and pop on the grill.Nope, never did bbq pizza or tacos... we cook the normal burgers or hotdogs, steak and marinated chicken breasts... I don't like pork on the grill, not sure why... and we don't eat any kind of fish or seafood either.
That recipe for lime chicken sounds really good and different than what I'm used to... I just bought some limes too! Thank you!

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Ironknight what are you eatting? I have never heard of that!

Anyway what did we have for dinner yesterday? We ordered pizza becuase we are in the process of painting the kitchen and putting cabinets up so the house is a mess and no where to cook! Should finish the last coat today have the last of the cabinets up and can get back to having a kitchen. Than it is time for the bathrooms. LOL The joys of remodeling. :D

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
mel and princess, you guys have never heard of Poutine?? EVER?

It's french fries with cheese curds melted and gravy. It's SOOOO good. I make my own. I just make oven fries (like McCain fries), buy a can of beef gravy, and buy some cheese curds from the dairy counter. Put the fries on a plate, put the cheese curds next, then pour over the hot gravy. MMMmmmm

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I have never heard of it but is sounds good. I love fries and cheese. Umm I will have to think about making it. So not good for you I am sure but I will worry about that later. LOL :D

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Knight, you're killing me! (looking for a drooling smilie) I think we had a food conversation once before - didn't I mention how much I miss Quebec for that very reason? :( (Sorry to all the Ontarians - you're really nice folks, but your restaurant food sucks ;) )

Mmmmmmm.... Poutine & toastee from La Belle Province. I can just hear my arteries slammin' shut! :D

Just to clarify - it's pronounced "poo tin", not "poo tyne" (cringes as if her ears are being assaulted). And unless you've had one within the Quebec borders, you haven't lived. :p

Last night, my dear sister came over for supper. We had the BBQ tank filled, so it was BBQ hamburgers (home-made, Italian style) and hotdogs. Hubby doesn't like the taste of beef, so he had BBQ'd chicken tournedos (hmmm... maybe I'll have those for supper tonight...).

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I had poutine in a small cafe just across the ontario/quebec boarder when I went white water rafting on the ottawa river. It was good, not great. I personally like Harvey's Poutine...but with their old fries. I don't like their new fries.

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Mmmmmmm.... Poutine & toastee from La Belle Province. I can just hear my arteries slammin' shut!
LOL well like i said i'll Risk it! Mmmmmm and
raingirl you've not had the REAL DEAL YET...and when you do OMG!!!

Ohh yeah Princess it's sure to give you a heart Attack!.. dang it's good LOL
or just reduce your life span.. i'm pretty sure of that.. keep it comming! LOL

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2005, 01:44 PM
raingirl you've not had the REAL DEAL YET...and when you do OMG!!!
I don't know about that, Knight. I've had this arguement with many of my Ontario-born friends. I love them all deeply, but they just don't "get" food, especially the greasy stuff. We always have little "discussions" about Pizza Pizza vs. a place like B&Ms. They don't like having pizza dripping down their arms as they eat (what's up with that?!). They prefer their pizza dough to be cardboard-stiff. So I have no doubt that a native Ontarian would prefer a Harvey's poutine to a nice, greasy one from Lafleur's. No offense, folks! ;) Just an observation!

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
pizza dough to be cardboard-stiff.
Ouch LOL that's a kick right on the... ohh look squirrels outside eating nut's!

dont worry W4F i will cover your back if they try attack you lol.. and i know where you're comming from as far as food is concerned.. People in Quebec do eat muchhhh better.. it's the french thing...

melanie
June 6th, 2005, 06:34 PM
ah no, in australia we dont have anythign that looks like that, its rather intimidating to look at :p

i know what chips (fries) are, and i know what gravy is but what is a cheese curd?? it sounds like curdled cheese or curdled milk yes??? blahhhhh :yuck: curdled milk, grose, and on chips WTF is that???

so are you little miss muffet, eating her curds and whey?? does the cat substitue the spider?? :D :D my fav pizza is cheese pizza, yuuuuummmmm. on a really thin cardboard hard base with just lots of cheese, thats it, oh delicous....

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 07:17 PM
milk is made of two things. Curds and whey. when they separate, the curds become cheese, and the whey...well, most places dehydrate it and sell it as health food.

If you want to see it yourself, take a cup of full fat milk (3%) and add a few spoonfuls of lemon juice. WHen it separates, the solids are the curds, the liquid is the whey. If you want to make your own fresh cheese, just take the above separated mix and pour it through some cheese cloth and let the whey drain out. You are left with fresh cheese (cheese curds). These are what is used in Poutine. You can add salt and other flavours to the milk before you add the lemon. If you want a herbed fresh cheese, add chopped basil or chopped thyme or maybe some chives to the milk, then heat it to just before a boil, add the lemon juice and let it separate and cool. Drain the whey and squeeze out all the moisture by squeezing the cheese cloth. You now have a fresh soft cheese. Great if you spread it with some roasted tomatoes and broil in the over so it melts. Or...put it with gravy and fries a la poutine!

Whey is that liquid that separates from your yogurt as well. If you buy plain yogurt, put some cheese cloth in a strainer, and put the yogurt in and let drain in the fridge for 24 hours. You then have "yogurt cheese" which is a great low fat healthy alternative to cream cheese. Great on a bagel. You can do it with plain yogurt and add your own flavour, or use any of the flavoured yogurts as well. Strawberry yogurt cheese is good on pancakes.

Here is an interesting site on how to make cheese:

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/making.htm

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 08:36 PM
milk is made of two things. Curds and whey. when they separate, the curds become cheese, and the whey...well, most places dehydrate it and sell it as health food.

If you want to see it yourself, take a cup of full fat milk (3%) and add a few spoonfuls of lemon juice. WHen it separates, the solids are the curds, the liquid is the whey. If you want to make your own fresh cheese, just take the above separated mix and pour it through some cheese cloth and let the whey drain out. You are left with fresh cheese (cheese curds). These are what is used in Poutine. You can add salt and other flavours to the milk before you add the lemon. If you want a herbed fresh cheese, add chopped basil or chopped thyme or maybe some chives to the milk, then heat it to just before a boil, add the lemon juice and let it separate and cool. Drain the whey and squeeze out all the moisture by squeezing the cheese cloth. You now have a fresh soft cheese. Great if you spread it with some roasted tomatoes and broil in the over so it melts. Or...put it with gravy and fries a la poutine!

Whey is that liquid that separates from your yogurt as well. If you buy plain yogurt, put some cheese cloth in a strainer, and put the yogurt in and let drain in the fridge for 24 hours. You then have "yogurt cheese" which is a great low fat healthy alternative to cream cheese. Great on a bagel. You can do it with plain yogurt and add your own flavour, or use any of the flavoured yogurts as well. Strawberry yogurt cheese is good on pancakes.

Here is an interesting site on how to make cheese:

http://schmidling.netfirms.com/making.htm

Dang man... raingirl.. Now you got me thinking and i wanna make my own curds! ohh that would be fun...

glasslass
June 6th, 2005, 08:42 PM
We buy fresh cheddar curds from the cheese plant here. It's nicknamed "squeeky cheese". When you bite into a fresh curd, it squeeks against your teeth. We do have great cheese in Calif!

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 01:51 AM
i know what chips (fries) are, and i know what gravy is but what is a cheese curd??

Okay Mel.. :) just for you.. as you can see i'm a very good Cook :)

I used a Powder'd Poutine gravy (cuz there's no chicken fat in that)
there's Cheese Curd's in a Pack :) and ohh lookie Yummy Hot Poutine :)
I've mastered the Old fasioned way to make Quebec Poutine...
Does'nt that look Yummy!

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 02:14 AM
wow do all canadian kitchens have defiblerators on the walls, cause if thats what you eat i imagine you need it :D :p

nah i will just have the plain old chips and gravy, yuuuuummmmmmmm.

jow do you say poutine- is it said poo-teen (dont laugh, hey dont pick on me, i dont know anything french ok) :D :p

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 02:49 AM
wow do all canadian kitchens have defiblerators on the walls, cause if thats what you eat i imagine you need it :D :p

nah i will just have the plain old chips and gravy, yuuuuummmmmmmm.

jow do you say poutine- is it said poo-teen (dont laugh, hey dont pick on me, i dont know anything french ok) :D :p

That sounds right and no we dont have "defibrillators" on the wall's , it's the Canadian winter makes us Hard..
PS: that picture shows you everything i used to make the Poutine!
(french fries not included) looks YUMMY!! notice pets.ca forum in the background of the poutine sauce mix?
and just above the top of the poutine mix i get a Private message.. guess from who? YOU mel lol..

melanie
June 7th, 2005, 03:15 AM
lol, thats jsut way too funny. hey do all your food products in the supermarket have french wording too?? does it have both english and french???

hey look at my new avatar, and guess who was smart enough to make it for me?? i give you one guess he pretty savvy at those things mr iron butterfly, yayayayaya its just tooo cute...

iRONKNiGHT
June 7th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Yes All products in Canada has to be in French & English..

kandy
June 7th, 2005, 02:06 PM
No offense, but that stuff looks gross! Of course, I'm not a big cheese eater - and most gravy is so salty it makes me gag. Our kitchen gets really hot in the summer if we cook (gas stove) so I do lots of BBQ and use the microwave whenever possible. For those who do grill, and like seafood - salmon is wonderful on the grill! We eat lots of salads in the summer too.

On the air conditioner - we have a window mount one that goes in the living room and it keeps most of the house cool - the front part anyway. We also have a ceiling fan in the bedroom and that helps quite a bit too.