Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How does your pet act at the vet's office?

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 02:02 PM
I'm just curious. How does your pet act at the vet's office?

I remember our last trip to the vet, we were sitting in the waiting room, and I noticed how differently all of the dogs were acting.

A little pug was jumping around on the end of his leash, excited, literally begging all the other pets to play with him. He didn't seem to have any negative feelings about being there. He was just "Hi! Play with me! Oh, hi! will YOU play with me? Ohh a cat! Hi! Play with me!".

An Aussie Shepherd was sitting, cowering, as if he was waiting for his execution (but was in for a heartworm check).

Raj usually just reclines at my feet and stares at the vet's parrot in the corner. The parrot makes cat sounds constantly. Meowing away.
Raj is quite perplexed by this.
Once it is time for us to walk back to the examination room, her legs suddenly develop an awful stiffness, and she gets quite a chill, LOL. She walks, but veeeeeeeery reluctantly, legs stuck straight out, trying to slow our progress- and shivering the whole way.

Chloe, when we are waiting, just sits in my lap and trembles. And trembles.
And trembles. Same thing when I carry her back to the examination room.

So.
What about your babies?

levimh
June 5th, 2005, 02:15 PM
"Hi! Play with me! Oh, hi! will YOU play with me? Ohh a cat! Hi! Play with me!".
Couldn't help but laugh at that. It's so true.

My male cat, Bob, acts exactly the same as always. "Pet me.....you stopped....pet me....keep petting...hurry...pet me..." and my female cat, Frisky (who's anti-social) gets really mello and hardly moves. When I put the cage back up for her to go in, she rushes in like there's no tomorrow.

Levi sheds a lot more, but acts pretty much the same. Excited to see new people, sniffs at everything (which I have to watch because he'll pee on everything - with all those scents there!).

LittleLoves
June 5th, 2005, 02:17 PM
At Oscar's first visit he ran around my chair and up to EVERYONE including the biggest dogs there! :p How he will react to the office after now having his needles is up in the air. He left crying! :(

Lady is happy and fun in the waiting room, but once we get in the office she backs away from the vet and growly/barks at him until he sits on the floor so she feels comfortable. (my vet is the sweetest man ever!) :angel:

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 02:29 PM
sam goes into kissy mode, he kisses the receptionist, vet and anyone who will lean close enough for a good kiss.

hes a lovey boy tho, perhaps his opinion will change after his neuter on tuesday

Eleni

iRONKNiGHT
June 5th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Once it is time for us to walk back to the examination room, her legs suddenly develop an awful stiffness
HAHAHA that's too funny! i think more so cuz i feel the same way about doctors!

Writing4Fun
June 5th, 2005, 02:35 PM
LOL! Yeah, Phoebe's of the "Oh, are you here to pet me?" persuasion. :p She feels every human on this planet was put here to tell her what a good and pretty girl she is. On the examination table, the vet has a hard time checking her out, because Phoebe is always trying to turn around to lick her face. Although she hasn't been back since her spay, which she did NOT enjoy, so it'll be interesting to see how she reacts to her upcoming checkup.

Brooklyn is her exact opposite. He hides in his carrier, trying to make himself as invisible as possible for a 16lb cat. :D We have to tip the carrier to slide him out onto the table, where he crouches, hiding his head in the crook of my arm, and shedding so much I'm afraid he'll go bald before the end of the exam. You'd think he'd be happy to get back in his carrier, but it's just as hard to get him in as it was to get him out. :confused:

JessXx
June 5th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Shyla is normal... cuddley, friendly and happy. She doesn't mind at all (that I can c anyways)
Pepper barks as he usually does, shakes a bit and he's sorta nervous.
Pepsi is good, the only thing she hates is the crates... shes way better with it now though. :)

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Odin is like the pug. He runs around to all the animals all like, you wanna play? After he has sniffed everyone, he tries desperately to go downstairs in the office (which is where the hospital is and the boarding and grooming). I don't think he will try and go down there anymore after he got his nails cut last week. Took us 3 people to hold him down just to get his nails cut!

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 03:15 PM
LOL these stories are great.

Levi, I know that "you stopped petting me" look that a cat can give.

The pug in the waiting room was so funny. He even tried to play with Raj. No fear.

Raj, on the other hand, was very scared of the little guy. The folks in the waiting room thought that was funny. I understand why they'd chuckle, but it's sad to me. She's afraid of small dogs only, because small dogs bite her all the time. When I told them that, they awwwed and understood. But there was no convincing Raj that the pug was not a biter, so the pug owner made sure he couldn't get close to her, and Raj relaxed at my feet and stared at the parrot.

chico2
June 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Well,first it takes me about half an hour to get any of my cats into the carrier(I bought a soft carrier like a bag)it's a bit better with the new carrier.
At he vets,they'll just not come out,we have to dump them on to the table..
Then they freeze,the vet can do anything she wants with either one of them,when I hold them,mine to will hide their heads in the crook of my arm.
When everything is done,they'll run into the carrier.
Oh yes,they also HOWL in the car,all the way to the vet,luckily it's only 5 min away :D

Safyre
June 5th, 2005, 03:41 PM
My cats jsut relax in the car, but as soon as we are at the vet, they get all nervous.
We havn't been able to put Haylee or Zeppo in the crate since we took Missy off to be PTS 4 yrs ago. they HATE the crate.
Justice, on the other hand, LOVES t he vet, cuz everyone sucks her up... including the vet. She only likes the one vet... the fmeale vet she won't behave for.

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 03:50 PM
I've heard that howling, from cats in carriers in the waiting room. Such a mournful sound!

A cat that relaxes in the car- that reminds me! I've never known anyone who had a cat that could stand being in the car, but this past winter when I was coming out of the grocery store, I saw a "stuffed animal (cat)" on the dashboard of someone's car (in the parking lot). I turned to my son and said "Wow, that thing looks so realistic!". He agreed.

And then the "stuffed cat" stretched, yawned, repositioned himself and went back to sleep :eek: !

Beaglemom
June 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Misty hates going to the vet! After we park the car, I take her out and go for a little walk to try and calm her down and allow her to do her business, but she knows the area and knows that she will be going to the vet. As we approach the vet office, her tail goes under and she runs dragging me past the vet office. Then I have to drag her back, open the heavy glass door and try to coax her in. Once inside, she trembles and tries for the door.

There were a couple of times that I could only get a seat by the door in the waiting area, which is what Misty wants (she tries to run everytime someone opens it), anyway, I'm sitting by the door and she is sitting in front of the door. Next thing I know she starts to paw at the door harder and harder until it actually starts to open making a huge racket. The vet ran out of the examination room thinking that it was someone hitting the glass, meanwhile it was Misty trying to break out! I eventually got her away from the door. She hid beneath my seat for the remainder of the waiting time.

She's a perfect angel in the examination room. She will go on the scale by herself to get weighed and accepts being examined. But hates her nails trimmed. Once all is done, she runs for the door dragging me with her!

melanie
June 5th, 2005, 05:30 PM
charlie does not even notice the other animals, jsut wants to sniff everything, its really embarassing but i do manage to keep her from licking everything. :p

Lissa
June 5th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Minnow is my first Siamese that doesn't HOWL ALL THE WAY to the vet's! She is quite calm in the car and likes to look out the window!
In the vet's she is anxious but curious at all the goings on. She makes sure to remain dignified and calm thorughout the examination and vaccinations. But is always happy to leave!

Dodge loved the clinic at first, now he loves the waiting room (the receptionists are his own personal treat dispensers - he has them trained well with "the look of complete sadness-starvation!!"). However, he now believes that anybody wearing a lab coat is the devil in disguise and "hides"! This is due to his VERY low tolerance for pain - just looking in his ears and checking in between his toes is enough to set-off the shrieks of pain and fear! (when micro-chipped he acted like he was being stabbed repeatedly - while Minnow looked on with disdain!)

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Chloe loves going to the vet so much that if we even walk near the place, she tries to pull me up the driveway. Even when having blood taken, she merely licks the face of the tech taking it.:p

I don't want to talk about taking my feral cats to the vet. :rolleyes:

Shamrock
June 5th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Oh, great stories these are! :)
Well, my cats are all pretty typical.. hard to place them in carrier, usually have to gently pry their feet of the sides as they grip on in protest, then coax them in as they squirm and wiggle..(noooooo.. not this thing!)
They meow a plaintive meow of desperation the whole way, but once there, they go quiet. Hard to get out of the carrier, but a breeze to get them back in once we're done.

The dog is pretty calm.. he doesnt mind, and is quite relaxed and interested.
The vet can handle pretty easily,not too much protesting.

kandy
June 5th, 2005, 07:41 PM
Hazel has been to the vet twice now, and the first time she was fine - wanting everyone to pet her and trying to sniff the other animals (there were only a couple). Her second visit didn't go as well because her first one was to get shots and lance the boil she had on her belly. As soon as I got her through the door on the second one, she tried to go back out! She didn't like being on the exam table and squirmed the whole time. Lacey wanted to be all over the place, going in the back rooms to check everything out - so I had to keep treats in my pocket, and show them to her every now and again so that she was more interested in my pocket than trying to wander.

april21h1
June 5th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Fu is ok at the vets, after he calms down in like 5 minutes :rolleyes: , he is exploring all over the examination room. He is quite fearless, unless I am using the vaccuum :p . Honey on the other hand is a timid cat normally, so she mostly hides in my arms. She is really stressed by going to the vet, she will shed like crazy so I am usually covered in fur. I have learned to leave the pet carrier out all the time so when they have to go they are used to it.

twinmommy
June 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Jake starts shedding as soon as we pull into the parking lot, :rolleyes: .

I bring my gang to a student vet, so there's no appointments and when you walk in you have to take a number. Gypsy whines until we sit right under the number dispenser so that we can greet everyone that comes in after us!!! :D

Once a nice guy gave up his seat for me to sit--I was like 8 months pregnant, and ole Gypsy jumped into his seat and gave him her biggest goofball smile!!! :D

Mockingcat
June 5th, 2005, 09:45 PM
The dog:

Clover loves the vet. They give her cookies, and the tile is fun to run and slide on, AND they have a cat there that doesn't care about dogs and so she can sniff it to her heart's content....

OH, and there are seagulls in the parking lot, and they're very exciting... :P

The cat:

Loki acts like I'm carrying him to be killed. He yowls in the carrier and drools, and stresses himself out until his ears and nose turn bright red. I've started getting him all 'nipped up beforehand, and that's helped a bit.

Once there, he sticks to the wall and is pliant and sulky. The new girl who was the receptionist felt the need to scruff him, which freaked him out. (He's 9, wasn't hissing, wasn't moving, just sulking). Overall though, quite a trooper, and even speaks to me four hours after we get home. ;)

MollysMommy
June 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Molly isn't really sure what a vet is, I think. Since she is always riding in the car with us, she doesn't associate it with going to the vet. She just thinks of the vet as a place to sniff everything. It's impossible to keep her still because she is dying to go exploring. She doesn't seem to mind the doctor himself because the first vet she went to with me gave her cream cheese (something she absolutely loves!).

jessi76
June 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
We recently started puppy-school, and our week #2 homework assignment is to go to the vet. To just stop in casually, and have someone there give our pup a treat, and then leave. Our puppy-school suggests doing this a few times so they learn the vet is a good place. Tucker was pretty good on his first visit (only been once so far), but I think we will be making a few "treat only" trips just to be sure.

sammiec
June 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Briggs LOVES the vet and the techs. She is all over the place trying to get to them. The last time we were there she tried to jump on the counter to see the tech. She goes crazy whining and wagging her wiggle butt in the waiting room and tries to play with all the other dogs.

Our vet says that she is the only animal that has been happy to come back and visit after her spay. When he takes blood she sits there and stares at him with sucky eyes and licks his hand.

She absolutely just loves it there.

The cat on the other hand goes crazy upset because the dog's bouncing around everywhere and he sits i the very back of his box cowering. I have to put the box with the opening facing the wall. He's stiff as a board when he gets into the examination room.

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Meater just kind of lays there like this makes me so tired you all! And Chino on the other hand is so hyper. LOL He wants to play with everyone and give everyone kissess and wants everyone to notice how pretty he is. The kittens HATE it I mean HATE it! It is funny to sit in there and wtch eveyone and their pets. LOL We need to make a trip back and see if they will put Chino on doggie ridalin (spelling) he is hyper from the minute he gets up till the minute he drops at night. LOL Keeps Meater on his feet and in shape. LOL ;)

Cactus Flower
June 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Sammie!!!!!!!!!! Where have you been, stranger? Missed you!

:grouphug:

katy82
June 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM
Phil still loves the vets office and she's been there a number of times now including a spay. When she was getting her stitches out she was licking the tech that was doing it. She tries to say hello to everyone. The only thing that bugs her is the vet's pomeranian that torments her. It sits about a foot out of her reach and barks at her and Phil gets so upset! All she wants to do is sniff him.

The only time she was very nervous when she was really small (about 8 pounds) and a German Shepard was staring at her non-stop during the 1/2 hour wait and drooling. The owner said that the only other time he did this was with squirrels because he liked to chase them so he must have thought Phil was a white fluffy squirrel!

sammiec
June 6th, 2005, 02:37 PM
LOL, CF... hiding... ;)

I needed a break... :D

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Sammi we have missed you! I was thinking about you the other day! :D

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Sorry to go off topic..

Sammie's been with me.. LOL.. :evil:

nymph
June 6th, 2005, 02:50 PM
He's all excited trying to get attention from all other animals. :p

sammiec
June 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Sorry to go off topic..

Sammie's been with me.. LOL.. :evil:

Don't think my husband would be happy to hear that! :eek:

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Don't think my husband would be happy to hear that! :eek:
(last going off topic)

I agree..but did not know you were married sorry about that :)

As for going to the vet.. i remember once Trixy took off and jumped over 2 Bull terriers.. one of the Vet's was not smiling!! :evil: so no she dont like going to the vet.. too frisky for wiskie! >^,^<

Cactus Flower
June 6th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Off topic doesn't bother me a bit. Hijack away!

Sammie it was good to see, er, read you again! I hope all is well with you and yours.

Mega hugz to you!
:grouphug: :grouphug:

Prin
June 6th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Jemma is so happy at the vet because he's a man. She only starts to freak when she's on the table. The rest of the time she howls at the vet techs, howls at the vet, howls at the bird...

Boo freaks out the whole time and has anta up his a**.. :)

Bearsmom
June 7th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Bear starts to drop his head and mope as soon as we get to the highway. He mopes getting out of the car, wags his tail when he sees all his girlfriends (human and fur), but as soon as we get into the exam room, he ignores the vet completely, and stands facing the door like, "is it gonna open now? What about now? NOW?"

Kaos just doesn't care. He's all typical puppy, "HI HOW ARE YOU, I LOVE YOU, PET ME WOULDJA, WHAT'S THAT? WHAT'S THAT? WHAT'S THAT?"

Aerial just doesn't care. She's such a diva.

AliSam
June 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Sam isn't too bad about it. It is just another excuse for him to go for a ride in the truck. The first time we ever took him (which was 2 days after we brought him home from the pound) he relieved himself all over the waiting room floor. He hasn't done that since. Once we get to the steel table though, he gets nervous.

RaYne
June 7th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Bubba acts similar to the pug. Only Bubba weighs close to 50 pounds now. So needless to say my arms are tired by the time we leave. LOL He wants to play with every dog there, even the ones that growl at him. :eek: I have resorted to bringing treats with me to keep him sitting and still. He acts like the vet's office is a dog park. I think he will change his mind after he gets neutered. LOL

doggy lover
June 7th, 2005, 08:00 AM
CF I was at the vet once and someone had a dane it was hiding his head between her knees and shaking, the typical case of you can't see me, never mind the whole body sticking out. lol Tucker is good but last time there was a dog just pts while we were there and he acted off the whole time. My last dog was a scaredy cat cry, whine, shake, try to run out if the door opened the whole nine yards. Mind you he had quite a few surgeries so I think that was most of the reason he hated it there, he thought we were going to leave him there for another surgery all the time.One of my cats is good the other has to be restrained, she is grumpy.

Cactus Flower
June 7th, 2005, 12:34 PM
as soon as we get into the exam room, he ignores the vet completely, and stands facing the door like, "is it gonna open now? What about now? NOW?"
This cracked me up!!!!!!

And doggy lover, the dane hiding it's head...."you can't see me..." oh, that is so funny, too! It's amazing how they are, these gentle giants.

I think that Danes have Reverse Chihuahua Syndrome. I have never met a chihuahua that knew it was small. They all seem to think that they are rottweilers. Ever witnessed them trying to protect the yard or house? It is HILARIOUS, the way they carry on. "Back off! Don't make me hurt you!", even if they are facing a St. Bernard :D .
Danes, on the other hand, think they are tiny. They don't know that they are big.

goldenblaze
June 7th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Too funny this thread :) Blaze loves his Vet visites which is surprising since he was there so much as a pup, he likes to say hello to everyone waiting with their pets and really enjoys all the loven he gets from everyone there. :thumbs up

Jordie hates going to Vets, he starts as soon as we pull in the yard and stops only after we leave. Anything Dr Judy does to him she must do while he is in my arms..he is a real baby. :o