Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to introduce a dog to a new house and dog

puppup11
June 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any tips for me. My husband and I have a 17 month old pitbull who's generally extremely well behaved. She does however seem to have concern about things being moved around quite a bit more than other dogs I've had in the past. Like for instance if a box is in the middle of the room, or the garbage can is moved, she'll immediately go up and sniff it suspiciously. Or even if there's clothes on the floor, she notices it right away and inspects it, very cautiously. Well now we are moving to a new apartment and I don't know how she'll react. What doesn't help is that another dog will be living upstairs from us and although we are putting up a fence she has reacted agressively to dogs in the past so this is likely to increase her stress level other than just from moving to a new area, even if she never sees the dog, she'll smell it. She is territorial now (she'll bark if someone comes up to the fence that she doesn't know and we're not there, and if a dog comes she'll go nuts at it) although she's not agressive towards people in any way. Also I should mention that along the back of our present fence there is a small dog that comes up to the fence there and our dog will go nuts, but I think it's more of a play thing because she combines a play bow with her barking etc. which wouldn't happen if she actually wanted to kill the dog. Is there anything I can do to help her adjust properly to the new place? If the other dog comes up to the fence and she goes nuts, should I correct her and how? I don't want her going into a rage or play fit or whatever it is whenever the other dog comes around. Would it be wise to let the other dog go up to the fence right away before she has decided that it's her territory in hopes that she won't react as agressively and accept that the other dog lives there too? (I wouldn't let them together - the other dog is a Shih Tzu and wouldn't have a chance against her. Also the other dog is a female and unspayed.) Any help is appreciated.

twodogsandacat
June 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM
- 17 month old pitbull who's generally extremely well behaved. ......I should mention that along the back of our present fence there is a small dog that comes up to the fence there and our dog will go nuts.....I wouldn't let them together - the other dog is a Shih Tzu and wouldn't have a chance against her. Also the other dog is a female and unspayed.) Any help is appreciated.

I can offer no training tips but with the size difference here there can be no doubt that even in what would be a mild altercation to the pit bull the ShihTzu could be extremely injured. The two of them must remain on their own sides of the fence at all times.

I would recommend that you confirm that the fence is in good order (no gaps at the bottom) and that it is high enough that your pit can't jump it. Also never leave the dog outside unattended.

The issues with fences are that often they aren't as good as you would believe and not up to the job at hand. If your dog ever got over it could be nasty, if the Shih Tzu's owner tried to intervene and was injured (even scratched) itís even worst.

I hope somebody answers your questions as all I have done is thrown on the black hat and told you the worst-case scenario of what can go wrong. I just wanted to emphasize that often fences are not a barrier to a dog just a temporary inconvenience.

puppup11
June 5th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Hi,
Thanks for your concern. I agree that our dog should not be left outside unattended especially at first. We are building the fence ourselves (chain link, 4') so it will be as secure as possible, and our dog has never attempted to jump over our fence (which is a 4' fence made of wood with 4" gaps between slats) or dig underneath it so I am reasonably confident that it will be ok. She has jumped up onto it but just in excitement to see someone on the other side, not for the intent of getting over it. We never leave her outside for extended periods or leave her out when we leave home, she is mainly an indoor dog as she doesn't have much tolerance for heat or cold and she also tends to eat dirt, rocks, plants, and sticks if left to her own devices outside, as well as dig holes for amusement (hers, not mine).

The other issue is her possibly getting upstairs through the basement door. I am trying to convince the owners of the house to get something put onto the door so that it automatically closes as I have to leave the apartment to use another room in the basement for an office and it's possible I might accidentally not shut the apartment door tight, and the owners of the house tend to leave the door open at the top of the stairs when they come down to put wood in the furnace.

People who live in this area tend to be extremely lax about dog care, there's always dogs running loose on the streets and they just throw out old scraps to feed them. It's kind of like "aw, nothing will happen, dogs take care of themselves." But I don't want anything to happen that would endanger my dog or anyone else's dog but I think sometimes others think I'm a fanatic or like an overprotective parent because I refuse to feed my dog table scraps or let it run loose on the street or around other dogs.

twodogsandacat
June 5th, 2005, 03:45 PM
I think sometimes others think I'm a fanatic or like an overprotective parent because I refuse to feed my dog table scraps or let it run loose on the street or around other dogs.

Nothing fanatical about that it's called responsibility. No matter the reason your dog got out and even if it were attacked by another dog first the mere fact that it is a pit would of course be all people will focus on. You keep doing what you need to do and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

We have some friendly dogs that run loose around here and some not friendly ones. When the not so friendly ones came running up to us when we are out walking it wasn't long before my one dog started seeing them all as unfriendly. While he may sit while I shoo the other dog away....his hair is often up. His bother who will not show any aggression unless he is getting humped takes point...but he's a pointer anyways.

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2005, 09:01 PM
How often and where do you take your dog on walks? Maybe she hasn't seen enough new things for her to be so cautious about new items in your home.

Take her to many places so she can see all sorts of things and learn to be casual about them.

When you move to the new home, confine her to one room for awhile. This will be better than giving her free run of the new space and making her anxious. Gradually give her more freedom.

Please do not leave your dog outside unattended. Pit bulls are stolen every day or she could be teased, mistreated or even poisoned by hateful people.

A 4' fence is not high enough to contain her if she should see something she really wants to get, or get AT, on the other side. Many pit bulls can easily escape, jump or climb even 6' fences.