Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

re how long to walk puppy

lucyvanpelt
June 5th, 2005, 12:26 PM
We have a 8 month old schnoodle and I would like to know how far I should walk him. I love to walk but he's just a little guy and I don't want to overdo,
but I also want him to get the proper exercise.Any info would help thanks.

MollysMommy
June 5th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I have a 8-month toy poodle and I usually take her for walks that average about 20 min, sometimes less, sometimes more, but she is usually too tired to go longer than 30 min. But that might be because she runs around all day long inside the house, playing with her toys and her ball. I'd say try 15-20 min and see how he's doing. Is he slowing down, thirsty, etc...if he's doing fine, up the amount of time. It's may also be a good idea to take a few short walks during the day.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Well I have asked about excercise for a small dog. This is what one breeder told me is appropriate for a cocker spaniel.

Once past puppyhood at 24 months, a dog would need to go for two
walks a day of about 20 minutes each plus playtime of about 20 minutes. I
usually get mine out chasing a ball.

What is the best type of excercise for an English Cocker? Like people, it
varies. Probably the best exercise would be swimming. The worst would be
marathoning or jumping hurdles on concrete.

For Agility I was told the dog should be year old, or it would not be good for his hips.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM
my bichon/poodle isnt tiny but hes smallish, 15 lbs at last weigh in

he can walk for an hour long walk if i let him.

i jsut look for signs hes tired and call it quits when he is.

but sam is VERY energetic

Eleni

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2005, 01:44 PM
My yorkie/silky will run full tilt for 20 - 40 mins (depending on temp and time of day) at the park before he's ready to call it quits. His walks are often 30 - 40 mins or so, but he is generally so nosey, that it doesn't get him very far from the house.

BeagleMum
June 5th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I have a 6.5 month old beagle and he was running around playing with another dog yeaterday for about 5 hours. He goes non stop, even in the heat. A few times we had to separate them just to give them a break. He would seriously walk for hours, I have already taken him for a 1.5 hour walk and that was a few months ago.

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Well I have asked about excercise for a small dog. This is what one breeder told me is appropriate for a cocker spaniel.

Once past puppyhood at 24 months, a dog would need to go for two
walks a day of about 20 minutes each plus playtime of about 20 minutes. I
usually get mine out chasing a ball.

What is the best type of excercise for an English Cocker? Like people, it
varies. Probably the best exercise would be swimming. The worst would be
marathoning or jumping hurdles on concrete.

For Agility I was told the dog should be year old, or it would not be good for his hips.

Wow, they really do come with an owners manual these days.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Actually I have always wanted a dog that I could take swimming.