Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Baby advice needed

twinmommy
June 5th, 2005, 11:09 AM
HI all.

It's very hot here, had the kids in the baby pool yesterday and they are fascinated with drinking the water :yuck: . I dump it every night and don't put anything in it (sometimes people put a little Javel in it when their kids are old enough not to drink it--saves dumping it every night).

Last night, Emma had a bout of diarrhea in the middle of the night and threw up 3 times this morning. could the heat be responsible for this? I know it can cause diarrhea, but vomiting?

She seems to be fine now, so if not the heat, if it was a virus, could it already be gone??

Just wondering what might be in store for me the rest of the day...... :rolleyes:

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 11:12 AM
id say probably a virus. i think if it were heat they would have been il right away.

were they in the shade? drinking lots?

if it were from heat lots of water would help

i suspect drinking the water might of upser her tummy some. maybe offer lots of juice and water, and some bland foods for the day and see how she does?

if she doesnt ahve a fever i wouldnt be too worried maybe keep indoors out of the heat and let it pass.

Eleni

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 11:13 AM
btw unfortunatly not much can be done for a virus except keep her drinking to avoid dehydration, and wait it out

Eleni

twinmommy
June 5th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I think that water wasn't good either. I keep giving them juice instead (you'd thik they'd reather that, no?) Nope. Everytime I turned around she had her face in the water sipping away. I thought they were practicing "blowing bubbles", as this year I'll bring them in the big pool.... Bathtime is the same. :yuck: gotta get them out of that!!

Safyre
June 5th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I'd venture to say it was the heat, it can cause both vomitting and diarrhea.
I know adults that over do it in the heat and then throw up ... so i would be surprised if it happened to a child.

lilith_rizel
June 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM
twinmommy,

let me know if you find a way to keep them from drinking the water. I would like to know, just incase I have that problem with Judith.....

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Keep her drinking but just a little at a time too much at once and she could throw up again, also consider popsicles if it is hard to get her to drink. As long as she is getting liquid (not milk) she should be okay.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 12:53 PM
I just remembered the brat diet that my doctor said to do for an upset tummy.

Bananas
Rice
Apple sauce
Toast

Apple juice is apparently to acidic for the tummy.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 01:22 PM
my family doctor once told me the brat diet was out, that small meals frequently was ok as long as its nothing acidic or dairy

if she will breastfeed do that to keep her hydrated, sometiems babies who wont keep anything down WILL keep breastmilk down.

i know dairy is normally a no-no but breastmilk doesnt really fall into that catagory

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Could you maybe give her lots to drink before she goes in the pool, so she's not thirsty enough to drink the water?

What concerns me is kids have a tendency to urinate in the water, and I'd hate to think of her drinking diluted urine. That could most definitely upset a little system.

Do you tell her "no no, yucky" or something like that when she goes to drink the pool water? She'll catch on soon, if so.

Sorry she's not feeling well!

Bearsmom
June 6th, 2005, 12:21 PM
Robbie drinks his bathwater. Grosses me out, but doesn't seem to affect him. Still, grosses me out.

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 12:27 PM
I think they will drink the water even if they are not thirsty!~ I think they must think it is cool! LOL :) Hope your baby starts feeling better! Keep us posted! I am sure she will be fine and it was just a bug!