Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question about my german shepherd

sam4jc
June 5th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Hi, I have a 7 year old shepherd. For about 4 days she won't eat and doesn't seem to be herself. She had a heat about 6 weeks ago. Nothing else seems to be wrong. No vomiting, no diarrhea.

Today is day 5. We got her to eat a little chicken breast last night. Thats it. She has always been a very good eater. Never a problem ever. She is about 100 to 110 pounds.

She seems to act like she doesn't feel, just slow in moving and rather sad.

She looks at her food, and I heard her stomach growl yesterday, but still not eating. We have tried everything. She will take some food from our hand, soft food and kind of roll it around with her toungue but then just drops it out of her mouth. Its got me very worried.

I won't take her to our emergency vet if I can help it. Its a long story.

Any advice?!!

She does drink normal amounts of water and urinates. She had a small really soft bowel movement yesterday.

sam

puppup11
June 5th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I'm not an expert.... but my dog will sometimes go without eating for a day or two or three when she eats something she shouldn't have (sticks, rocks, etc.) She will be very lazy and not want to do much and then when it finally passes, she's fine. The noise of her stomach growling could actually be whatever it is moving through her intestines. Make sure she has plenty of water at all times but in my opinion I wouldn't coerce eating, just offer her her regular food. If she doesn't get better soon she'll have to see a vet as something could be blocking her intestinal tract, four days is a long time, and it could be some other sickness causing the symptoms. Any idea if she might have eaten something wrong around the time she got sick? Has she had all her vaccinations and deworming?

sam4jc
June 5th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Hi, thanks for the reply! Its so hard to not know what could be going on. Any thoughts and ideas are so appreciated!!

She is due for her shots, but they will have to wait since I don't know what is wrong with her. She is late on her shots really. But none of her symptoms seem to have anything to do with anything she would be vaccinated against. Let me know if anyone thinks other wise.

Worms....no sign of worms. She was de wormed when she was young.

The sound in her stomach sounds just like ours when we are hungry, you know that hungry growl/rumble. I guess it could be gas (?)

She doesn't want to play with her ball either, that is her favorite game. Its like she wants to eat, but something stops her. Very strange and just has me so upset!!!

If she had eaten something, such as twigs etc, wouldn't she be trying to throw up? Would she still be having ANY bowel movements? No signs of anything that she might have chewed up, but that sure doesn't mean she didn't.

Thanks for the reply again, just hearing others thought and ideas help.

Sam

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 02:34 PM
She needs to see a vet asap regardless of your reasons not to go. She is sick, and she was in heat not too long ago. She could have a uterine infection which is very dangerous. She could also have just about anything else going on too but the only way to find out is to call & take her to a vet.

sam4jc
June 5th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Hi, Yes I am going to take her to my regular vet tomorrow. I just don't go to the emergency vet.

I am just very concerned today and am looking for any and all info.

Thanks, Sam

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Hi, Yes I am going to take her to my regular vet tomorrow. I just don't go to the emergency vet.

I am just very concerned today and am looking for any and all info.

Thanks, Sam

I wish the best for her sake, I hope this turns out to be something like an upset stomach. Please keep us posted, okay?

Btw, how many litters has she had so far?

LavenderRott
June 5th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Just a thought, but if it is pyrometra, she could be dead tomorrow. Since she has been like this for 4 days now I think the emergency vet might be your better option.

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Just a thought, but if it is pyrometra, she could be dead tomorrow. Since she has been like this for 4 days now I think the emergency vet might be your better option.

I tried that route but you saw the response. I took the low road after that.
It's so hard to respond in a gentle manner sometimes.

Boggles my mind....emergency vet hospital is not an option for this poster.

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I sure hope this poor dog doesn't die in agony because you dislike the emergency vet and chose not to get her the urgent care she needs.. She has suffered enough already and it does sound like deadly pyometra.

7 years old, not spayed (have you heard of pyometra?), no food for 5 days, in pain..........this is serious neglect and borders on cruelty.

Boggles my mind
Yup.

sam4jc
June 5th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Look, I did not come here to be criticised. I wanted some help. I've had bad expierences with Emergency vets. I have 14 animals and many of them have been to the emergency vet many times. That's why I know that I'm not going to be taking Jessica (the German Shepherd) there.

We've taken 3 animals there recently, a Macaw and 2 cats. They are not as expierenced as my regular vet, at least they don't come off that way to me. They do not take into consideration that all these treatments and procedures that are so over the top (and that I cannot afford) are terribly traumatic, and my vet can just run an X Ray or blood test to find it. Their prices are ridiculous and my vets are not. I have about $1,000 to use for her right now, and I'd like that to a long way and it sure as heck won't at an emergency vet. I think emergency vets are great if your dog/cat etc... has been hit by a car, broke it's leg etc... but as far as illness or disease is concerned, they are almost useless becasue they will paint you in a corner.

Just because I have my reasons for not taking my baby to an emergency vet, does not mean that I love my animals any less then you. That is a ridiculous way to come off. You do not know me or what is going on in my mind right now, so don't judge me.

If I had unlimited funds there would be nothing to stop me from giving everything to my babies. Apparently you people are lucky enough to have all the money to do what you are saying.

BTW, she ate chicken tonight, she's walking around and playing with her ball (this is so different from yesterday or even this morning). She WILL be going to the vet as soon as they open in the morning. It's so confusing.

Thanks to the people who were helpful and not judgmental.

Goodbye.

sam4jc
June 5th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I sure hope this poor dog doesn't die in agony because you dislike the emergency vet and chose not to get her the urgent care she needs.. She has suffered enough already and it does sound like deadly pyometra.

7 years old, not spayed (have you heard of pyometra?), no food for 5 days, in pain..........this is serious neglect and borders on cruelty.

Yup.

Where do you get off? She is not in agony. She ate today. I have had many animals in my lifetime and I know when something is wrong. Her abdomen is not swollen. She had a good bowl movement today. She is much happier today, and she's walks around, is playing with her ball and playing with the water. This does not sound like agony. My animals have always made it clear when they are in some sort of discomfort. All, but one, of the animals I've owned has died of old age.

And you know what? We don't even know if that's what she has. Have you seen her or examined her? Decreased appetite and lethargy could be anything. So I don't know why all of you have decided to jump on the band wagon that's it's definately pyometra. For all we know she's got a tooth problem! That's why I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow.

I came here for help, advice and educated guesses, but all I've seen here is a bunch of self-righteous snobs.

I just wanted some ideas, something to ask my vet about. If I thought for a minute she was in agony (not getting up, no bowl movements, severly depressed, whining) of course I would take her to the emergency vet, that's why they're there.

All I have to say now is good ridance to you. Hope that no one else in my shoes goes to you for any kind of help/opinions/advice because all they'll get is judgment and ridicule.

Goodbye.

LavenderRott
June 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM
A vet couldn't give you help, advice or and educated guess from what you posted! I don't think anyone could.

HOWEVER - just because we didn't have the advice you wanted to hear doesn't mean we don't have the best interest of your dog at heart.

As for your dog being in agony... I recently lost my beloved dog of 8 years. The day before she was romping all over my living room with my other dog. The next morning she couldn't walk. The x-ray showed the the bone in her shoulder was so eaten up by cancer that it was collapsing in upon itself. And yet she never whimpered once.