Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Might be taking online courses!!!

lilith_rizel
June 4th, 2005, 09:58 PM
My friend Jen is enrolled in this one college that is all online. She said that it is really great for stay at home parents, because you can work at your own pace in each class. The cost is $50 per month, and you can take 1 course each month, I think. What are your guys' thoughts about this. I am seriously thinking about going this route with my education, being that I will have 2 kids, 2 cats, and a husband to watch LOL. I won't have to worry about getting homework in on a certain date and if one week is really hecktic, I won't be behind.....

iRONKNiGHT
June 4th, 2005, 10:12 PM
First off.. Hat's off to ya lilith_rizel for even considering finishing schooling to pursuit a good career :)

well i think that sum's up my vote! :cool:

lilith_rizel
June 4th, 2005, 10:23 PM
I graduated highschool, but just didn't do too well. I'm not good in math. Can't even do basic algebra half the time without being confused! And everything else has to be explained to me a million times. I was thinking about education myself, on my own, due to our tight budget. But at $50 a month, I don't think we could really go wrong. I am going to be talking to James about it. I am thinking that if I am able to sell those baby blankets, I can use that money for the monthly fee. Before I do start though, James and I are going to pay off my current student loan. I was only able to attend for one year than moved.....Good thing that it is only $2500 that I owe. We are getting some money from my grandfather. He and his new wife sold his home, and he is splitting the money between him and his 11 grandkids. It was in my grandmother's will, so we have decided to use that to pay off my student loan and the car loan......

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Good for you, Lileth, if you can "swing it', good on ya!!

What programs interest you?

lilith_rizel
June 4th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I was just looking at Education Direct, and I think it is the one Jen was talking about. You pay monthly. With them I would be able to get a degree in art. So I think I am going to do that, and take general courses too..... I have a passion for art.....

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 11:10 PM
Cool!! That sounds interesting. It's great because in adult ed, you are usually in a group that is keener than reg. students and the clases move along at a more interesting pace. I know you're talking about online courses, but even in the online discussion groups,etc.

lilith_rizel
June 5th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I talked to James about it last night, and he said that it is ok for me to do. He said he wants me to wait until he gets back before I start though. Which is fine with me. I wanted to start in about 6 months, once I know for sure what I plan on getting a degree in, and once I have found something that I can earn a little money at home from.

dmc123
June 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I wish I only paid 50.00 a month. I am working on my bachelor's degree online with East Carolina University, North Carolina, USA.

We pay regular tuition, or very similar to on campus students. This is my 3rd semester, and so far the worst. Professor is loading us up, but I am only taking one at a time, so hopefully one day, I will finish.

Good luck to you, lilith_rizel.

Diane

raingirl
June 6th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I would be VERY warey of taking the education direct courses. They aren't "real" diplomas or degrees, and aren't recognized for jobs or job qualifications and such.

What I would do, is find a job you would like to do, and find out what kind of qualifications your require. If you like art, and if you want to just do art at home and sell art peices, that's different.

I know someone who took their "crimial justice" courses online for almost two years hoping to get a job in law enforcement or as a corrections officer. All her work was for nothing as she was then told it isn't recognized as qualifying course for that line of work. She thought it was the same as going to college at the local school with classes and all, but now she has wasted almost $3000 on all the courses she took and they mean nothing to any employer. Same with their "animal sciences" one. No vet would ever hire someone with only those courses, you would still be required to go to a real college for the correct courses to become a "qualified vet tech". A lot of people take the courses thinking they are the same as any college or university and you would get the same level of education, but it isn't and you won't.

It's like if you were to take the child psychology courses. You would never be able to be a child psychologist with them. It's more for personal gain and interest, which is fine, but if you wanted to be a child psychologist, you have to go to university. The child psychology courses they offer are more for the person who runs their own daycare at home and wants to know more for their own good and to look good to the parents who put their kids there.

Just work backwards from what you would love to do as a career or job, and work from there. Find out what qualifications you LEGALLY require to do that job. I know for a home run daycare or do anything daycare like in Ontario, you had to have to have your ECE (early childhood education) diploma from a acredited college.

There are jobs out there that don't require any kind of training, but the more you have the better, like insurance, business, management. YOu can get started with no training, and take courses here and there to build your knowledge and move up.

I have researched many careers in the last few years, so if you need info, let me know.