Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I dont know what is wrong with her!!!

pomchiMOMMY
June 4th, 2005, 07:10 PM
My dog jus started throwing up, and we she was throwing up a foamy yellow substance. Her eyes got all watery, and just a few mintures ago she was throwing up what looked like phlem and blood. What is wrong with her? I am so scared!!! Please help!!

I cant take myself to the animal hospital as i dont have a car right now, no friends nearby, and the nearest vet closed 3 hrs ago. Plus i dont have the money. Is there anything i can give her to calm her?

Thanks

pomchiMOMMY
June 4th, 2005, 07:16 PM
I gave her some alkaseltzer (mostly water) and it seems to have calmed her down. I want to purchase something to see if she will stay better. But does anyone have any suggestions? :pawprint:

Karin
June 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM
My dog jus started throwing up, and we she was throwing up a foamy yellow substance. Her eyes got all watery, and just a few mintures ago she was throwing up what looked like phlem and blood. What is wrong with her? I am so scared!!! Please help!!

I cant take myself to the animal hospital as i dont have a car right now, no friends nearby, and the nearest vet closed 3 hrs ago. Plus i dont have the money. Is there anything i can give her to calm her?

Thanks

First, make her as comfortable as possible, confine her in a room if you can. Pick up food & water bowls.

START CALLING ..Vet clinics, write down any recorded phone numbers, call friends, neighbors or family. Try.

I feel for you and your poor girl, but we are limited on what can be done on line. Please call people or knock on doors.

Beaglemom
June 4th, 2005, 07:43 PM
Has she gotten into anything that could have upset her tummy? Did you recently switch her food?

I agree with Karin, start calling vet clinics. Or if you call you regular vet clinic they should have the after hours vet clinic phone number on their answering service. Call up the vet clinic and they should be able to offer some advice over the phone and let you know what you could do or if you should bring her in to be seen by a vet.

If you do need to bring her in, try to find a cab that will allow dogs, many do. I know that money can be a problem, try calling friends and family and see if they can help you out. I know from experience that many times they are willing to help you in times like this. I've been there myself. I know how you feel wanting to help and not knowing how.

I hope all is well with your dog and she starts to feel better soon. Please keep us updated.

Mockingcat
June 4th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Also, please be careful giving your dog over the counter drugs. In the wrong dosage it's very easy to hurt your dog further.

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Vomiting can be a sign of any number of illnesses. Sometimes it can be something as minor as drinking too much water, other times it can be pancreatitis, respiratory or heart failure...as well as poisoning. THe list is endless. Monitor and vet appt if continues IMHO

pomchiMOMMY
June 5th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Last night I made her something. I cooked some rice, and added it to a little chicken broth, and gave her some. She didnt want any, but Imade her eat something. I think she threw up because she doesnt eat anything all day, unless I am home. I cant be home 24 hours because I work.

I will keep monitoring her, but she seems all cheery now, happily playing with the other dog.

Thanks everyone for your support :grouphug:

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I'm glad she's feeling better, but I don't think that just having an empty stomach will cause her to throw up "phlegm and blood". Some dogs do throw up because their tummy is too empty, but the blood is not normal.
Your dog still needs to see a vet.

Karin
June 5th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Yup, a vet visit is still needed.

losinsusan
June 6th, 2005, 09:01 AM
When a dog has a bit of blood in the stool or blood in vomit, it can be just gastro upset. Unlike humans they do bleed with upset gastro problem. YES it can be a serious situation but our dog tried canned food for the first time and threw up a bit of blood and then had some in his stool. We saw the vet in a panic and it was only because the canned food is way to rich for his system. Sometimes just eating something or a food change can cause it. I vet check is in order for sure. But don't panic. Relax, let them figure it out. And we were told pepto bismol was okay for dogs but I have no clue what the dosage would be for that. You have to speak to a vet about it.