Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why they call me Schwinn

Schwinn
June 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Was going to put this in the "Faces would be nice", but I couldn't find it (okay, I'm getting ready to go out, and I was too lazy to look more than a few minutes). A while ago someone asked about a picture, and I just got this in my e-mail today. It's from a bike race I did two summers ago. I feel a little embarassed, but I really like this picture, so I thought I would share.

twodogsandacat
June 4th, 2005, 05:32 PM
But he still didn't tie the two together.....Schwinn for those that may not know is a brand of bicycle.

Nice picture:

This is why they DON'T call me SuperCycle:

iRONKNiGHT
June 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM
hey i knew what you were about! :)
it's nice to meet another fellow MBKer! ROCK ON!
I have a Univega Boralyn Metal Matrix..
http://207.145.55.93/mtb/Univega_profile.JPG
22 Lbs MBK with TI Rox Shox Fork..
could get lighter.. ahh this is fine!

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 09:35 PM
cool pic, Schwinn!! Speaking of races, are you still set to do that race near to the time of the delivery? heh heh ;)

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 10:33 AM
cool pic, Schwinn!! Speaking of races, are you still set to do that race near to the time of the delivery? heh heh ;)

Yea, I got a call from the mother-in-law to tell me she was coming down early to make sure I could (would) go. It's a team race, so I have others counting on me as well. I've also had someone check the course to make sure my cell phone will work, and given Cheryl a couple of other numbers as well. It's too late to back out, but I'm already a wreck when the phone rings. I was doing bike patrol last week when my cell rang in my Camel back (it's basically a back pack with a giant water bottle and a straw so you can drink while you're riding). I also had on my radio and first aid kit. Suddenly, I looked like my clothes were on fire trying to get everything off to answer my phone. When I finally get it, my step-father's on the other line. "We just wanted to see how fast you can answer your phone!" I'll probably do one of the early laps, that way I can be finished quickly as well.

I know what you mean, IronKnight about getting lighter. I put on an air-sprung fork and replaced the wheels with Rolf Satellites (18 spokes--lighter and cool looking. I'm a poser at heart!) Sometimes, though, when I'm watching TV and my bike is beside me (don't ask) I feel like it is looking at me and saying "Titanium bottom bracket, carbon fibre bars...hey, Fat boy! Why don't YOU try losing some weight!?" As my buddy said, me dropping 10 lbs would be cheaper and more effective than losing a few hundred grams off the ride. And as I said, what fun would that be?

iRONKNiGHT
June 6th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I know what you mean, IronKnight about getting lighter. I put on an air-sprung fork and replaced the wheels with Rolf Satellites (18 spokes--lighter and cool looking. I'm a poser at heart!) Sometimes, though, when I'm watching TV and my bike is beside me (don't ask) I feel like it is looking at me and saying "Titanium bottom bracket, carbon fibre bars...hey, Fat boy! Why don't YOU try losing some weight!?" As my buddy said, me dropping 10 lbs would be cheaper and more effective than losing a few hundred grams off the ride. And as I said, what fun would that be?

LOL i think i've found a true friend!! and so funny that you mentioned Ti BB.. since i've been looking for a BB on ebay for the past few weeks.. slowly working on my "Regular" bike.. (Dont Ask how many MBK's i have) same as you LOL....as for Carbon fibre! i've always been afriad of it! fear of breaking it ez!! i mean us Big 200lbs guys are ROUGH on everything!
(hence~ my name (iRONHORSE) (iRONKNIGHT)
PS: here's a laugh for ya!! MY Bike worth's more than my Car hahaha!

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Yea, I figure being in the Clydesdale division means I have to give up my hopes of titanium. I've been told that carbon fibre is actually stronger than aluminum, so I think I might give that a shot with the handlebars. My wheels make me real nervous, as not only are they 18 spoke, but they are paired spokes, so it looks like 2/3 of my spokes are missing from the side. I was afraid that I would taco one the first time I took a jump like in the picture, but I've only had them really go out of true two or three times. And I know what you mean about the value. After the upgrades I've done, I found out that my bike was worth more than what I got for all my used cars I traded in while I was a student. I told Cheryl that I was going to quite riding it when I found out. I was afraid to scratch it! But then, it's happiest when it's throwing me off into the trees...

Rick C
June 6th, 2005, 02:27 PM
That's a real good picture of you Schwinn. The photog did a good job.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

sammiec
June 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
For some reason when I hear Schwinn, I think of Wayne's World... I don't think that's what they said, but I just think of that! LMAO!

glasslass
June 6th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Nice legs!

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM
For some reason when I hear Schwinn, I think of Wayne's World... I don't think that's what they said, but I just think of that! LMAO!

So when you think of me, you think "Schwing!" I'm flattered! ;)

(Hey, it's my world, let me live it!)

It was actually a professional photog who comes out and sets up in different spots, takes pictures and then sells them. I don't usually by them, but I needed some pictures for my website, and I thought that one was better than the one of me huffing and weezing up the hill!

And the legs are in shape from peddling the butt up the big hills!

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to revive this, but I wanted to ask you Iron Knight, where did you get your bike? I've only seen one or two Univega's before (and I see hundreds of bikes when patrolling). I thought they were department store bikes, but I see by the gear on yours, that is definitely not the case!!

Anyone else have bikes? Put the pictures up here! I'd love to see them!! (I'll get a picture of mine up when I remember to take one)

iRONKNiGHT
June 9th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to revive this, but I wanted to ask you Iron Knight, where did you get your bike? I've only seen one or two Univega's before.

If it's a High-end Univega MBK Racing then they would have to be ordered by Bike Shop..
from Germany or USA.. in my case USA...

The pic i had posted.. is not OF my MBK.. i'll go take a pic of mine later. was too lazy to take one before so just too give you an idea :)

But yes it is a Univega Boralyn Metal Matrix..

I like the RAM DX-9 (http://www.univega.com/start_bikes.asp?an=200009&link=uni_modell&loop=RAM&kat=RAM)

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
I'm going to have to research this. Definitely NOT the bikes I was thinking of (I'm thinking of the old Sears bikes). Strange, since I read so much about bikes and am so involved, I'm almost embarassed I don't know more about them.

Who else has a bike?

iRONKNiGHT
June 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Definitely NOT the bikes I was thinking of (I'm thinking of the old Sears bikes).

like i said it's worth more than my car..
i dont think Sear's carry anything Titanium.. but then again i see they carry Schwinn's at CanadianTire.. i know for sure that's not a CanadianTire model you have..

I'm almost embarassed I don't know more about them.
ahh amatures gotta love em!

I'm almost embarassed I don't know more about them.
yeah you should be lol... face it you're an amature on a Schwinn ! lol J/K
It would be so much fun to race you... you'd hear me humming "Another one bite's the dust"

Hand made frames only

By the way give some more details on your MBK

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 02:44 PM
2001 Schwinn Moab II. I've upgraded it with Rolf Satellite wheels, Rock Sox Duke XC fork and Shimano M545 pedals. I'm thinking about going to a carbon riser bar. I'd like to upgrade to disc wheels, but I don't think I can swing affording to replace my wheels with a similar quality wheelset, plus the disc brakes. And since my wheels are 18 spoke (paired), I'm having a hard time finding a hub to replace them. So, I'll wait until I toast them. I figure mine is somewhere around the 25 lb mark or less. Swapping the wheels and the fork made a HUGE difference in weight.

Ever ride Temblant? I've been told it's closed now, but that was some of the most amazing riding I've ever done! I've even got the broken helmet to prove it! It's going up on my "wall of broken helmets" as soon as I finish my bike-themed room (complete with bike wheel-chandalier!)

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Here's the current ride (excuse the mess, my future bike themed den is a giant storage room right now, known as an unfinished basement).

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
...and the (semi)retired ride...

Schwinn
June 9th, 2005, 09:21 PM
...it's '97 Kona Hahanna, my first real mountain bike. I upgraded to V-brakes, added front suspension (Rock Shox Judy XC), upgraded the fork with Mountain Speed springs, put on the M525's which are now on the Schwinn, and added a Rock Shox suspension seat post (what I affectionately call the "butt shock"). It's semi-retired as I cleaned it up for Cheryl and added a more cushioned seat and riser bars. When I put the Shimano pedals on the Schwinn, I took off these generic pedals and put them on the Kona. They are nice because they have clips on one side, and not the other, so whoever rides has the option of going platform or clipless. I also swapped the front wheel with one of the Schwinn (when I replaced them) as the old one had what looked like a "bite" out of it. It's also my spare for anyone who needs a bike.

Who else has a bike? I wanna see 'em! Mountain or otherwise. I'm currently looking for another ride, I'm trying to decide between a road bike or a cruiser (some day, both!)