Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

"Poodle" haircuts: yes or no?

MollysMommy
June 4th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Even though I have a toy poodle, she's still a puppy, so she can't get a "poodle" hair cut. I have never been fond of the show poodle haircuts and I was wondering what other people think. It's funny because as soon as I told everyone I rescued a poodle, they all told me NEVER to get a poodle haircut.

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I think it's a matter of personal choice.
A short clipping always looks nice but a SHOW cut looks flipping hillarious IMHO ;) Besides I think once you start that kind of a cut it gets costly groomer wise to maintain it (and your dog may just develop depression) hahah!

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Hello MollysMommy!

Would you mind posting a picture of the type of haircut you are talking about, please? I'm not sure what a show cut looks like.

Eleni
June 4th, 2005, 04:18 PM
im not fond of the show cut either,

I like the puppy cut, sam looks good with it.

but hes not a pure bred poodle so i dont know how he would look with a show cut

Eleni

MollysMommy
June 4th, 2005, 04:23 PM
There is more than one kind of poodle cut, I believe, but this is what the American Kennel Club had on its website.

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Thank you for posting the picture.

As for the cut, I think it looks downright silly.

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2005, 05:17 PM
My mom keeps her 9 year old standard poodle in a puppy clip.

While the show clips look rediculous, when the poodle was a working dog they were necessary. If memory serves, poodles were originally used for water retrieving and all the puffs and foof are placed where they are to keep certain parts of the body warm and working at its best.

MollysMommy
June 4th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I read that somewhere too. All the hair slowed them down, so they clipped them in certain areas to keep them warm. But outside of a situation like that, it just doesn't make sense...

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Sorry if I offended you, Lavender Rott. Sometimes my mouth runneth over.

:o

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Sorry if I offended you, Lavender Rott. Sometimes my mouth runneth over.

:o

Offended me ?!? I really don't much like my mom's dogs! Most especially that dang poodle! But that is a REALLY LONG story.

I just thought that maybe some did not know that there was a reason for those really ridiculous haircuts.

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Whew!!!! Very relieved. When I saw the comment about your Mom, I thought I'd really stepped on your toes.

Beaglemom
June 4th, 2005, 07:12 PM
LavenderRott, you are correct. That poodle cut that everyone is used to seeing in show dogs was orginally for working dogs that used to swim in cold water. The hair is left only in the areas of their vital organs to keep them warm but shaved every where else so as not to weigh them down.

I too think that is a funny cut and have to wonder how the dog feels walking around looking like that! The pupply clip is very cute and practical as it keeps the hair nice and trim and easy to care for.

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Oh! So a "puppy clip" doesn't look like the "show" clip that is pictured?

(Lavender Rott- this is why I thought I'd offended you- I thought they were the same types of cuts).

I obviously know very little about these things.

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I call them Miss Prissy cuts :D

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Oh! So a "puppy clip" doesn't look like the "show" clip that is pictured?

(Lavender Rott- this is why I thought I'd offended you- I thought they were the same types of cuts).

I obviously know very little about these things.

A puppy cut is short and even all over with a ball at the end of the tail and on top of the head. If you leave the top of the head to long then they look odd, but if you cut it too short, it looks weird. I guess that means you have to get the top of the head just right.

Isisgoddess
June 4th, 2005, 10:03 PM
My poodle used to have a puppy clip and she looked soo cute. Just be careful that the groomer doesn't trim the cheeks too short or else the dog can scrach them up pretty bad when she has an itch, to the point of scabbing.

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Ah, ok. Learned something here today! Thank you.

iRONKNiGHT
June 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I have a toy poodle, she's still a puppy, so she can't get a "poodle" hair cut. I have never been fond of the show poodle haircuts and I was wondering what other people think.

Well if it's a puppy poodle and you took all her hair off, wont she just look like a big Rat?

and why would you wanna shave that? :).wait did i just say shave? i must be thinking about something else hahaha.. :evil: what i ment was cut his hair short!
http://www.poodledog.com/natcam/natcam_images/puppy2.JPG

mona_b
June 5th, 2005, 02:49 AM
I would definately stick to the "puppy" cut.A friend of mine has 2 Bichons.She gives them a puppy cut also.She doesn't like the poofy look of the"show" Bichon.And she wonders why people think Misty and Mojo are poodles.LOL

MollysMommy
June 5th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Don't worry, I most definitely plan on sticking to the puppy cut. Molly got something similar when she went to the groomers a couple weeks ago. I just wanted to know what people thought...

glasslass
June 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM
I don't know what the name of the cut is, except maybe home-made? I think this is what a poodle should look like!!!

Shamrock
June 6th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Aww.. I totally agree, Glasslass, a lovely look, natural and soft!
I take Percy to a groomers, and keep him in a puppy clip (also known as a kennel clip)
Basically, its short-trimmed body and face, fulll legs and crown, and the only "poof" is at the end of the tail. The "clean" feet (shaved) is optional.

For the show ring, a different story, but for day- to- day doggie lving... less fussy is best. :D

Eleni
June 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM
glass that looks like sam when he has a puppy cut

Eleni

Daniac
June 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
I really like the puppy cut.

MollysMommy
June 6th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Percy looks just like an adult version of Molly! She got groomed just like that except with more hair on her cheeks. She's got a full beard. :)

Princesss04
June 6th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I voted that I thought they should have a poodle cut BUT I did not know what you meant. I thought you were talking about just shaping up their hair. Opps oh well guess I can not change it now. I do not like the show cuts. They look funny! :eek: :o