Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

free run eggs

Crazy Hippie
June 4th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Hey melanie, I've been away for a few days but I just read your last post on the whale slaughter thread..that you found dead chicks in free run eggs? My mom buys them and she's said a few times that there's sometimes one or more red spots in the eggs near the yolk - I emailed the egg company who sells them and he said it's called a "meat spot" and it's really nothing and just pick it out with a fork (not exactly the response I was hoping for...) Does anyone know what this is? Does it mean the eggs are fertilized? The egg company said no. Regular eggs never seem to have this, only free run...I don't know what it is but it's really disgusting.

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM
I only eat free run organic eggs and from what I have been told, for the most part is 'don't worry about it'

I find it in almost all my eggs and I've not worried about it. There's an old wives tale that says the chicken was sick but don't believe it. I am not sure exactly what it is but it's probably healthier then we think (laughs) since these animals are living a healthier means and may not be receiving the same types of steroids, hormones and antibiotics etc...

I haven't helped much in the way of information but just wanted to support your thread, :D and tell ya not to worry!

melanie
June 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM
well my girls used to put one out now and again with a spot in it, i just figured it was the yolk gone funny or such, and i had no rooster so there is no way the eggs could have been fertalised (yes i know rooster within 10km can fert, but none around our property at the time). so i doubt its a meat spot, tell your mum not to worry :D

as far as those chickens i mentioned, no they were almost full formed dead chicks in eggs (about the size of a 10cent piece, i dont know your money sorry). it was jsut totally disgusting. im not saying it was the companies fault, there was a mistake somewhere obviously, perhaps a roving rooster, it is possible with free range farms i suppose, but it would be very very rare. but it made me vomit for days, i dont even eat quich, yuck. i do use eggs in cakes and some cookies though, i bake alot but i have onyl ever used free range, i call them happy chicken eggs. hubby eats eggs though, but i certianly think its just too grose :sick:

but i do love chickens oh so very much, they are jsut the most wonderful animals and companions. so when i have had them they naturally lay eggs, and i use their eggs in baking, but would never eat them (hubby loves them), jsut grose :yuck: :D :p