Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dandruff(sp) in a black cat

april21h1
June 4th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Hi

My 10 month old cat Fu :pawprint: is almost all black. I have noticed over the last while it seems he has dandruff(sp). I was wondering if there is some pet shampoo or conditioner that I could use on him. He is a water lover now, he likes to drink water from the bathroom sink and our drippy tub. He will come out all soaked. :p

I don't want him to hate water because I give him a bath, my cat Buddy (RIP) was given bathes from when he was a kitten and hated them until he passed away. I love watching Fu play in the water. My cousin told me of a conditioner that I could use ( I forget the name).

Also I have never given Fu a bath beacause Honey is a clean freak, she has cleaned him since we brought him home but now they will cuddle together and clean each other.

I was wondering if any one has a black cat with dandruff(SP) and what they used or if any one has any suggestions.

Thanks for your help

JDG
June 4th, 2005, 07:31 AM
What are you feeding Fu?

Usually dandruff in cats is food related. . . .

april21h1
June 4th, 2005, 08:20 AM
The food I feed all the cats is called Lil Red, I get it at the Coop Country store in town. It is made for cats and kittens which is why I feed it to them, Fu has gotten sick on regualar kitten food and I have tried different brands. He has a sensitive tummy even though he will get into whatever he can get his paws on. :rolleyes: But he is a kitten and will be full of mischief(sp). I was told by my vet that it was ok to give him this because he can eat it and will not get sick.
The cats get some canned food atleast once a week and get treats.

Safyre
June 4th, 2005, 10:13 AM
My Zeppo, who is not fully black, but a Tabby w/ alot of black, gets dandruff from time to time. Sometimes, it is season related.
Cod Liver Oil works very well to get rid of the dandruff ... but to be honest, if they aren't scratching at it, I just leave it alone.

NutmegHF
June 4th, 2005, 01:45 PM
add fish oils.. he's missing something in his diet.. There is also a product called " Missing Link " that would be helpful..

Nutmeg