Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs and poison ivy

hockeymom
June 4th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Does anyone know if dogs can get poison ivy?

Toonces
June 4th, 2005, 05:48 AM
I don't know if they can get it but they can give it to you if it has come in contact with their fur, my husband gets it all the time from our 2. We couldn't understand why he was getting it all the time because he is so carefull when working outside and then the doctor asked him if we had dogs, he said the pollon will stick to the coat and then they bring it in the house.

Prin
June 4th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Yes they can... My man rubbed Boo and before long they both had it... Not fun for a doggy. We used benadryl cream on him .. (careful not to lick) AFTER talking to the vet of course...

mona_b
June 5th, 2005, 01:00 AM
To be honest I have never known a dog to actually get it.My Aunts dogs were forever rolling in it.Yes my Aunt got it from them,but they never got it.And we are talking 7 dogs.And none of my dogs ever got it. .I never got it because Poison Ivy doesn't effect me.I realized it when I was younger and my one sister dared me to walk through it.But the funny thing is she got it. :D

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 01:14 AM
I've actually never even seen poison ivy. I wouldn't even know what it looks like. But I DO remember the stinging nettles in Germany. Yeeouch! The rowdy boys used to chase each other and use it to whack whoever got caught!

Here is what a dermatology site said about poison ivy (Rhus plants):
No one is born with sensitivity to Poison ivy, but if exposed enough most people become sensitized at some time and remain allergic. A sensitivity can change at any time. There's no way to desensitize people allergic to Rhus plants. Dogs and other animals are not affected by poison ivy, but people can get the rash by petting a dog that's been exposed.
http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/poison_ivy_dermati.html

So, dogs are safe from it.

And Mona, maybe you just never were exposed to it. Good thing!

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Prin I just now saw your post.

Maybe Boo was just allergic to it, rather than reacting to the poison in the plant's oil?

mona_b
June 5th, 2005, 02:24 AM
And Mona, maybe you just never were exposed to it. Good thing!

It's just weird that I don't get it.I was always with my aunts dogs.You know the hugging,kissing,never leaving them alone.... ;)..I was just a kid then. And I just didn't get it.Not even when Yukon and Tron walked through it.Tron hasn't been near it lately.

Toonces
June 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM
I never used to get it but now I do, I don't break out bad just a few spots here and there, its sooooo anoying!