Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vomiting

cairn terror
June 4th, 2005, 12:38 AM
My dog is a 8 year old cairn terrier. She started vomiting 2 weeks ago. It was yellow bile. I took her to the vet and did some blood work, fecal sample and UA. Everything came back normal. So we held food for 12 hours and gave her a plain diet of EN for two weeks. We also started her on Sucralfate (sp) and pepcid AC. She was doing betteruntil today. I had weaned her back to her old food over the last week. SHe vomitted 5 times and was depressed and lethargic. She has been liking her lips and very anti social Not like herself. I took her into the vet again today. We did some xrays to look for obstructions and foriegn bodies. Everything looked a ok. Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be up. I am worried about her!!!!

Safyre
June 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry, but what is EN?
If she started vomitting again after going back to her old food, it could be that her tummy is more sensitive at this age.

My grandmother had a cairn terrier that licked his lips all the time after getting sick as a pup, all they shoulda given him was pepto bismal to gt rid of the problem when he was sick. I'll call over and see if I can find out what was wrong specifically and post again later

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Are you sure the vomit is bile and not frothy? Did you take a sample of the vomit to the vet? That may be something you'd want to consider, they should culture it perhaps.

cairn terror
June 4th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I am sure it is bile and EN is a ver plain diet made by purina. It is a commerically sold veterinary diet

levimh
June 5th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Has her routine changed at all recently? Is she fed at the say time everyday?

My dog would throw up yellow bile every so often. I finally read something, not too long ago - on this forum that bile is thrown up due to the stomach being empty, which made sense in my case. I fixed this problem and he hasn't thrown up sense.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
could the dog be stressed.

I know Sam tosses if hes stressed

ELeni

Luba
June 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I think I asked if you got a sample to the vet? MAy be a good idea, it could solve the mystery.

MollysMommy
June 7th, 2005, 07:54 PM
My puppy used to throw up bile every morning. Never any food. I also read something that said it had to do wtih acid reflux and if you fed your puppy as soon as it woke up (or at least after it's taken outside), it would stop. Lo and behold, it did. She hasn't thrown up since. If she wakes up really early, I'll just give her a treat to help her stomach and go back to bed. That works too. You might want to give something like that a try and see if it works. The vet didn't know what it was and was hoping it wasn't something serious. Luckily, it wasn't.