Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

yep Definitely Julia Child over here!!! :)

twinmommy
June 3rd, 2005, 10:04 PM
o.k. so I since I AM a culinary genius, I have a question..... :D

Is ham (not sliced, the stuff in the form of a "roast") cooked when you buy it? And if so, why do people bake hams?

(don't laugh... :o

Safyre
June 3rd, 2005, 11:48 PM
are you asking if it is already cooked... i don't think it is .... hmmm... waiting for others to reply I don't eat pork

Sneaky2006
June 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I'm not totally sure of this one, but I think most all hams are either cooked or smoked, aged or cured. All of which don't require cooking because all of those processes kill any bacteria.
I know that my mom does cook ham (I think) only because it cooks out some of the salt. Others do it to get the flavoring of pineapple, etc.

Eleni
June 4th, 2005, 05:14 AM
some are and some arent.

it should say on the packet.

regardless im a crock pot a holic and toss everything in there anyhow hehe

Eleni

raingirl
June 4th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Are you talking about the small "maple leaf" ones that are like a half globe shape, about 6 inches across at the biggest?? Those are heat and serve.

Other ones, like a leg of ham you buy at the butcher, they are not cooked.

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Eleni---fellow crock pot aholic!!! :grouphug: Got any good recipes? I swear the crock pot is the only way to go when you look after kids all day and want to eat properly!!

Raingirl, yup, I had bought a small one, and read that it was cooked, or smoked rather, I guess if it doesn't say anything, then it's not....right?

Plus in Quebec, all our grocery stores seem to label the meats in french...does anyone know what "toupie" means? Is it the cut? It doesn't mean "cooked" or "cured" does it?

Thanks for not laughing, guys!! :D

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 09:22 PM
Safyre--are you a vegetarian, or just no pork?

mesaana
June 4th, 2005, 10:16 PM
twinmommy: toupie means it's from the hind leg and is deboned.

Lyne

twinmommy
June 4th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Mesanna!! :thumbs up

Safyre
June 4th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Twinmommy - not a full vegetarian... moving that way though. Only meat I eat at this point is chicken.

twinmommy
June 5th, 2005, 10:40 AM
got any cool recipes? My kids sometimes "boycott" meat, and while as I'm not a vegetarian myself, I'd never force them to eat meat. I'd much rather push the fruits and veggies.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM
i ahve a recipe for crockpot pizza, ill dig up my book later and post it

btw my kids go mad for it, they beg me to make it if they see the crockpot out
LOL and my daughter claims meat is the devil

Eleni

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 10:45 AM
ill post it in the recipe section too

Crockpot Pizza

1 1/2 pounds Ground beef[you can use the vegetarian meat alternative for this id think, if the kids go anti meat one day]
4 ounces Cheddar cheese; grated
1 Onion --chopped
4 ounces Mozzarella cheese; grated
14 ounces Pizza sauce
14 ounces Spaghetti sauce
6 ounces Pepperoni; sliced
12 ounces Noodles
Mushrooms
Green peppers
Brown meat and onion. Drain grease.
sauces. Simmer. Boil noodles till
dente;
drain. You do not want the noodles
soft. In crock pot, put a
layer of sauce, noodles, meat/sauce
mixture, cheeses, pepperoni and as
mushrooms and green peppers as desi
Original recipe said to repeat
layers one more time, but I repeate
layers a few times more. Cook on hi
for 30 minutes and then on low for
( I cooked on low for 2 hours) ,
or until cheese melts. Can be made
deep casserole dish in the oven at
350 ~F until cheese melts

twinmommy
June 5th, 2005, 10:46 AM
cool!!! I tried something like pizza, I think it was like a taco bake, but it burned. :rolleyes: I think it could probably be possible that in the early stages when I was just getting used to the temp of it and all, that I burned lots of stuff. Now the "newness" has worn off and the stuff is much juicier and not as overcooked.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 10:51 AM
i put a few recipes in teh recipe section, i have so many i could post lots LOL

what kinda things does your family like?? i have em all separated into "types" of meals lol call me obsessed

Eleni

twinmommy
June 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Me n' hubby eat anything,(and everything!! ;)

the girls are 18 months old and still nursing. Of course they eat regular food and drink regular milk too with their meals, but my pediatrician says that while the extended nursing is good, it makes them harder to get to eat "pieces". Take that with a grain of salt (I do LOL) because stuff like chips, frenchfries, and cookies are just fine. ;)

so all that to say that our meals are planned with TEXTURE in mind :crazy:

...and you think you're obsessed!!!! :angel: ;)

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 11:02 AM
yeah with issac he has issues with texture, he still ikes to finger feed things that are bite sized,

we make alot of stews, because as long as i cool he he can finger feed the chunks

lots of pasta, and stir fry's

havent had rice in years LOL

our hamburgers always end up in little 1" cubes for issacs delight LOL

i could go on.

im still breastfeeding too, Ty however only gets breast milk so we will see what his habits become with time LOL

Eleni

Safyre
June 5th, 2005, 05:07 PM
that recipe looks good there Eleni
Twinmommy - Since I am just switching over to be vegetarian, I use kraftcanada.com ALOT, since I can just put in the main ingrediant and get great recipes. There is not one recipe from there that I have tried, and NOT liked.
My mind is blank right now, I am sorta focusing on my current dinner, which is marinating downstairs. lol Kabob recipe from cooking magazine, I'll post it later tonight