Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

FOUND Airdale Terrier in Hawkesbury, ON

diandpat
June 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM
I found an Airdale Terrier (more than likely purebreed) at the golf course this morning. He was covered in burs (sp?) but is sooooooo docile. He let the groundscrew pick some of his burs (sp?) off without ever flinging. He ate cheese AND hot dogs from my hands, in a "sit" (actually "assis) he might be French!) without losing any fingers. He came home with me and my friend, IN A MIATA, and literally fell asleep in her arms. He is here with me now for the weekend and then on to a "foster" home until the waitress from the golf course adopts him in July afer she moves. :highfive:

If you know of anyone who might have lost this gorgeous animal please PM me. I cannot believe no one is looking for him. :( Have contacted the vet in Hawkesbury and the pound. no reports.

Please ask around. He is just wonderful but I can't keep him...already have two "strays" and hubby is walking if I make it three!!! :p

No pics yet but if I have time tomorrow I promise to post.

Thanks

diandpat
June 4th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Sleepy Hawke! Poor thing. Has not been able to keep his eyes open since we bathed him last night. What a good dog...even slept while I cut all the burrs off of him!

Wish we could find his owners but I know he is going to a good home in July if we don't, but just incase...does anyone know if it is two or three dogs per household in Pierrefonds??? Hubby is falling in love and caving fast!!!! :fingerscr

Luba
June 4th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Oh the poor baby!
You should call your vet and see if they have a microchip scanner or get him scanned at a humane society. He could have been missing for a long time. Check all kinds of pets sites where people post their lost loved ones.
I'd also post this on some other sites as well...he could be missing from a loving home (or not)

try also www.petfinder.com

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 10:56 AM
what a beauty

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I believe the limit may be 3 dogs in the West Island, but you need to check to make sure.

Poor guy looks just exhausted. Thanks for taking him in!!!:)

BMDLuver
June 5th, 2005, 03:55 PM
3 dogs in Pierrefonds.

coppperbelle
June 5th, 2005, 07:11 PM
He looks like he might be missing some fur on his nose. He is a cutie. It baffles my mind how people can lose a dog and do nothing to find them. I would be panic stricken if God forbid one of my dogs disappeared.
Did you call the local animal shelters? He has probably been on the run for a few days because he is so exhausted. Is he intact? If so, this may be why he is running.
When I found Mac a few weeks ago a lady called me a week later to ask if I had her dog. She said she hadn't looked for him sooner because he wasn't fixed and ran but usually came home within a few days. Maybe this is the case with your dog.

diandpat
June 6th, 2005, 09:33 AM
:sad: [COLOR=Blue]Well, in all honesty I have no business posting right now as I should be driving "Hawke" back to Hawkesbury to his new home. Thing is, I DON'T WANT TO....I WANT TO KEEP HIM! I am overwhelmed.

First thing is, my male Wheaten Terror, I mean Terrier, mix (Hobo) really has no use for him whatsoever. Ginger is not really much friendlier. Hawke, on the other hand just wants to play and play and play. I can't believe how much he has ingrained himself into the "family" since Friday. This morning he is the one who got us up at 8 to do business and was right in there like a dirty shirt during "feeding time at the zoo". We couldn't get him out on his walk fast enough, either. He is such a happy guy.

How on earth do you full fledged foster/rescue people do it? My heart is breaking and I know he is going to a good home. I just wish he was staying in mine! I am also furious with whomever it is who "lost" him and does not seem to be looking for him. Sick!

Well, I can't put it off any longer. I have to go. I have made the lady promise me that if it does not work out for any reason she must send him back to me. NO POUND. If he had gone to the pound on Friday he would be dead by now. What a horrible thought.

Sorry to ramble but this is difficult.

Have a great day everyone and give all your "babies" a hug for all those that have no one to hug them.

One last pic:

cpietra16
June 6th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Please don't be too hard on whoever may have lost him because some people may be saying the same thing about me (who would lose a cat and not look for her);well, I lost my cat while I was travelling from BC to Quebec and she got out of the van before my husband knew she was gone.
( do not judge please...we did have kennels for all our cats, but he let them out one hour a day for sanity sake)
Now I know a dog is harder to miss but maybe the person who lost the dog was also travelling and is just retracing their steps and hasn't come around your neighbourhood yet. I am still trying to track down all the town shelters, and it will be 2 years this July...so give the person a chance to locate his dog...you never know.It may not be the case but one never knows.And then there may be people out there that really don't know what to do when their pet is missing. you just never know.

GWPsRock
June 6th, 2005, 10:03 AM
good for you for taking him in when he needed a person....

Is "the lady" someone that is adopting him, or, his owners??

diandpat
June 10th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Well, I have spoken with the lady who took him in and they are nothing short of totally in love with him. He gets along well with their kids and tho the cat could probably do without Lucky, Lucky thinks the cat is great fun to "play" with. :crazy:

cpietra16, I am very sorry to hear about your cat and hope that you find him or that whomever did find him has taken him in and is taking good care of him. I am sorry if I sound bitter but the last "lost" dog I took in (Hobo) has been here for two years now and NO ONE is looking for him! :evil: The fact of the matter is, in this neck of the woods people treat their animals as disposable, especially near "moving season" July 1 if they have to move where animals are not permitted.

I have kept the "Lost Listings" on the internet as well as at the local vet but I am not optimistic. That was one skinny, dirty, dehydrated pooch that I found last week. He had been out for a while. :yuck:

I consider this a happy ending, even though I do still miss him. :thumbs up

Have a great day everyone.

cpietra16
June 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Diandapt...This is a good ending, an ending that hope for my cat too and I know there are people out there that treat their pets like trash and probably lose their pets and go right back out and get another only to lose the other...i have met people like that. I am coming up to 2 years that I lost my cat...but still looking. You just never know.

diandpat
August 6th, 2005, 06:29 PM
COLOR=Indigo]Well, I found out yesterday that Lucky has not been seen in about a week. Apparently, one of the kids left the door open and he took off. Unfortunately, despite the fact that I told this woman that he will bolt (did it here once too), he DID NOT have his collar on with his rabies/vet number OR his name and home number.

I am sooooo sad. I have prayed to St Anthony for his safe return SOMEWHERE and have already informed bf that if I do find him again he is coming home HERE!!!! Reply: "OK but only him. You can't go looking for any other ones". That guy kills me!

Anyway, he still looks the same and if anyone sees him out that way, please, please please message me. I can't believe he is alone again during another heat wave.

I hope he is OK. :angel: [/COLOR]

BMDLuver
August 6th, 2005, 06:47 PM
You should make a new post about his being lost. It won't get viewed well as a tag along to an old post.

chico2
August 7th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Daindapt,I was reading from the beginning,was happy about"Lucky"finding a new home and I cannot believe the last post,he's missing!!
You must be absolutely heartbroken :sad:
I hope with all my heart he's found again and will live happily ever after in your home..

lauriem
August 9th, 2005, 10:36 AM
What aterrible thing to happen, again! I can completely understand the kids leaving he door open thing, they do it here all the time. I'm pretty lucky that I only lost 1 dog , and it was only once. Although it was one of the worst situations in my entire life!
If you really want to find him again, I guess you know already how much work will be involved, posters, emails, calling shelters, going to shelters, etc...

You are a great loving animal person, thanks for taking him in and finding him a great home in the first place. That is a very kind thing to do. I wonder if the people who owned him found him? Let us know if you decide to work a full search and what steps you have taken. I'll be watching the sites and boards at my local stores and commercial places to see if anyone posts anything about him.

Good luck on the search, I'll pray for you both.

Laurie xo

diandpat
August 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
Well, I returned from walking the dogs this morning and there was an email waiting from a posting I made on another site regarding "Lucky". He claims he has found my dog as he has looked all over the internet for the owner. He asked for another picture, despite the fact that there was one posted with the "lost pet" ad.

I am cautiously optimistic but I did send another pic just in case it is on the up and up. Geez, I hope so. I have been so worried about this guy!

I'll keep you posted. :fingerscr

chico2
August 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Diandapt,wow,I hope it's him :fingerscr There are not many dogs like him around,what will you do if it is"Lucky"??
Please let us know what happened!!