Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

History Channel

lilith_rizel
June 3rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
I was watching it today, and the mentions something about a guy named George Markob or Markoff, hard to tell which. Does anyone know who he is? The thing I was watching, well the end of it that I caught, was talking about his assasination.....

lilith_rizel
June 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM
I guess I had the name wrong, it is Markov. He was a Bulgarian writer, who was assisinated buy someone who jabbed an umprella, that had a small metal pelet, no bigger than a pin head, which was poisoned with Ricin, into his leg. Markov died 3 days later.

He had a large audience in Bulgaria, and his outspoken views against the ruling communist party were seen as the inspiration for Bulgarian dissident movements. The leader of the Bulgarian communist party, Zhivkov Todor, decided in June 1977 that he wanted Markov silenced, and informed a politburo meeting of his wishes. The job was given to the interior minister Dimiter Stoyanov, who requested KGB assistance. The KGB chairman Yuri Andropov agreed provided there would be no trail left to the Soviet Union.