Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to stop tyrant idiot neighbour

lezzpezz
June 3rd, 2005, 04:00 PM
Has anyone ever had to endure living beside an asinine butthead of a neighbour? I have had to contend with an older guy for 6 years now, and have had to keep a record for the police of every idiotic thing he does, but to no end. It is getting tiring to have to put up with constant calls and/or visits from the police or fire department every time we are outside or if and when we decide to have a legal bonfire, and as summer rolls around again, my husband and I are not looking forward to having to live with the stress that this moron inflicts on us on a regular basis.

By regular, I mean that he has already called the police twice on us since Sunday. We never get charged or warned, as the police never see or hear us doing anything wrong, because we aren't! We are normal folks living a normal life trying to enjoy our back yard. As soon as we set foot out there, the games begin. He will pound on the fence, start swearing and will run his lawnmower for long periods of time. He calls the police if our dogs bark even once. They are dogs, for pete's sake, and are under voice control and do NOT bark excessively. I can't tolerate it and no one else should have to!

If we have company over for a bbq, we are respectful of the noise bylaws, but he will bang around and swear and mutter to himself. He has shone lights in our house and has peered over our fence, scaring the hell out of our guests.
The police say I cannot charge him with harrassment as it is impossible to make it stick. In fact, they say that he has the right to call and complain and they must investigate every call. They have warned him in the past about the light shining, and that stopped. I have caught him hanging over the fence looking into our yard for signs of anything that may be considered illegal. He called the city bylaw dept. to report rubbish up against his fence, but when the investigator came, she found nothing, 'cause there WAS nothing! What a waste of taxpayers dollars and city employees' time and energy!

At what point does this become mischief or harrassment and how do I make him stop? I will take any suggestions, as long as they are legal, (or funny :p !) as I would like to not dread going out to my yard and would like to invite people over to enjoy themselves and not be intimidated or inundated with police presence each time!

I am planning a bbq and swim party this Sunday and a wee fire for the neighbours on Saturday night. The firepit is far away from his yard. We are pretty quiet, as it is residential and we are following the letter of the law each time. I refuse to let this person dictate who, when, where and how I can live my life. It is allowed to be in one's yard, socializing and using your pool! But I have all but given up! HELP!!!! :sad:

iRONKNiGHT
June 3rd, 2005, 04:06 PM
dang!! that sucks! i can only wish i lived close to you!!

lezzpezz
June 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Pool rule #1
All knights must remove suits of armour BEFORE entering the pool....homeowner not responsible for what may occur if you ignore this rule ;)

gjohnson
June 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
I'm sorry I dont have any suggestions but I as well have a crazy neighbor that apparently has nothing to do except watch us and yell over the fence whenever she feels the need. We have been very patient and have just ignored her but I don't know how much longer we can hold out. Years ago we have planted trumpet vines along that side of the fence this does wonders, so were just waiting for them to grow in so she cant spy on us.

SnowDancer
June 3rd, 2005, 04:15 PM
Invite your neighbour to the barbeque on Saturday night with the other neighbours.

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 04:19 PM
I find it hard to believe that the police say there's nothing you can do! I would think he'd be charged with mischief, at least. Keep records of each and every time he calls the police on you, what they found when they got there, etc... After a handful of times, call the police yourself or go to the station and give them your list, telling them this is clearly misuse of their services and he should be reprimanded at least. Maybe he has a "condition" and so they're being lenient with him? I really feel for you. :grouphug:

I like the idea of planting something on your side of the fence, but I'd make is something thorny or itchy. :evil:

lezzpezz
June 3rd, 2005, 04:20 PM
Here's what I have done so far, all of which have just made him madder than a wet hen:

1) installed dummy video cameras: this is his favourite.....if the wind catches them and they turn ever-so-slightly toward his house, he calls the cops to report it;

2) planted vines and about 60 cedar trees along the fence, and I caught him pulling off the vines that were apparently growing on "his" fence. I had to call the cops...sigh.....to no avail.....

3) tried to talk and reason with him....can't be done....he's an idiot....

4) called the university of Western Ont. Dispute Resolution Centre to set up meeting, but he refused to come;

5) had it out with him verbally, much to HIS delight. Remember, he just lives for conflict. Have learned that we cannot give in to this imbecile....

6) ignored him, yeah, like that helped....NOT

7) had neighbours try to reason with him....he threw them off the property!

8) sent a letter of warning, but that just fueled him up even more. He is not rational.

lezzpezz
June 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
The neighbour directly to the North of this kook, did invite him over one time a few years ago. Within 1/2 an hour, they were in near fisticuffs, as the kook began insulting the other guys' wife and telling her what was wrong with her, her house, her lifestyle, how noisy they were and why he hated them yada yada yada. They have not spoken in years. Apparently, he does this with anybody that lives in his "space". He thinks he owns his property and 10' of everyone elses' that adjoins his (3)!!

He had the nerve to comandeer some property behind him when one family moved out and before the next family moved in! There is a row of cedars at the back of his property, marking the property line. There was no fence. He built one when he figured no one was looking, (I WAS!!), and expropriated an extra several feet of the neighbours' yard! What a dink! I immediately told the new neighbours, who are still deciding what to do, (survey), as they don't want trouble.

Does this sound like a rational person that one might like to dine with? :eek:

kandy
June 3rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Been there! We have a neighbor who has called the police on us alot. He tells them that we're having a big brawl in the front yard (friends dropping us from movie - saying bye!); he tells that we've having a huge party (no one even here that time :confused: ); complains of our weeds at least three times every summer - which my husband cuts off to 1/2 below the legal limit just for his benefit! :evil: He also peers over the fence if we are doing anything in the back yard. He is about 100 years old, and I keep threatening to flash him - maybe I'll give him a heart attack! :evil: We are thinking about getting a hot tub this summer, and I can just imagine what he'll think about that! I don't have any suggestions (at least none that are legal - :p ), but I can definitely commiserate!

SnowDancer may have something - you know the saying "keep your friends close, and your enemies closer". You could at least invite him over, give him a drink with a little something extra and all your guests could get a good laugh while he's passed out next to the pool! You could even take some pictures **after putting him in a comprimising position** and threaten to make them public if he doesn't mind his own business! :evil: JUST KIDDING! I think that would be very illegal...if you got caught... :rolleyes:

iRONKNiGHT
June 3rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
Pool rule #1
All knights must remove suits of armour BEFORE entering the pool....homeowner not responsible for what may occur if you ignore this rule ;)
Cute.. lol anyways my armor is rusted!

ohh i'm going to send you an e-mail with some crafty ideas or well get you thinking on the Right path! :grouphug: :evil: <--that says it all LOL

I keep threatening to flash him - maybe I'll give him a heart attack
Ohh brother ... i think he might enjoy that. heck i know i would enjoy that.. shake it Kandy!!! LOL

"keep your friends close, and your enemies closer".
i've always disliked that Quote.. i think i like mine better
I'm here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.. and i'm all outta bubblegum..

chico2
June 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM
Wow,that's scary,this person must be a bit wacko,there's no telling what he will do next...
I too have a complaining neighbor,it seems there is one in every neighborhood :evil:
She complains about leaves from MY trees(she cut down all of hers)going on her lawn,me having 3 bird-feeders,feeding the squirrels,she also bitches about the young family beside her...
This is MY house,MY property and I do what I want to do,within legal limits and I told her as much,just yesterday!!
I am surprised you cannot charge this man with harassment,cause that is clearly what he is doing. :evil:

lezzpezz
June 3rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
You see? Humour is the best thing!! If anything, it takes me away from the stress of it all and makes me laugh for a moment :crazy:

I know I am not the only sucker out here that has endured such crap. It is good to know that I am not alone! Thanks....I like the photo op thing by the pool....perhaps a Speedo!!! :p

chico2
June 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Well,you can always count on our Knight for comic relief :D

Prin
June 3rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Man I hope we don't have that trouble... We just got our house Wednesday... At least the hedges are too far on our side so if we catch the neighbors looking over, we can tell them to get off OUR property.. :evil:

raingirl
June 3rd, 2005, 05:09 PM
I would go above whomever told you you can't charge him with harrassment or mischeif. Go directly to the police office and speak with a desk sargent. Tell them what has happened, they probably have records/files of all his calls, and see what they can do.

If the police still refuse to do anything, I would consult a lawyer and sue the guy for pain and suffering. Something civil and small court. Sue for damages plus your legal costs. At the least you will probably get your legal costs back, so it won't cost you anything. Sue for loss of enjoyment of your property and personal posessions. Sue for mental anquish. Make sure it's a lot of different things on a big peice of paper.

Some lawyers will draw up a letter indicating they have been appointed by "X" (i.e. you) and that they are in the process of putting together a claim for "x" (all the things I listed above). The lawyer then proceeds to put a copy of the legal statement of claim in with the letter, drops it at the persons house. Now...a lawyer can draw up a notorized statement of claim and not actually file it with the courts. So..all the lawyer says is that to "please have yourself or your legal counsel contact us within 7 days so that we can discuss this matter". Usually within 7 days the people are scared out of their pants because they thing they are getting sued, but the lawyer hasn't even filed the documents with the courts, then your lawyer and the other guys lawyer come to a settlement out of court, nothing gets filed, you pay the lawyer out of the settlement and there ya go.

If you go that route, get copies of all the reports from the police who attended to your house. Actually, I would suggest you get the police reports either way for your own peice of mind. You can request them from under the Freedom of Information Act. I forget the contact name at the London Police (had to order stuff there before) but it was something like $5 for a search fee, but a copy is free.

lezzpezz
June 3rd, 2005, 05:21 PM
Hot diggity dawg, Raingirl! Now we're cookin'! I have thought of contacting a lawyer in the past, to have him draw up a letter or something to scare this guy into submission, but I'm not sure it would work, 'cause he's just not right upstairs, if you know what I mean. I think he would just become even more vindictive and would become more dangerous and try to hurt my animals or something :eek:
He has already come at me with a hammer thru the fence years ago, but I calmed him down. That's when we first moved in. Another time, he also was smacking a baseball bat in his hand as if he was gonna use it, but did not. He was mad and assuming that we were throwing rocks at his garage door, when we were not, so he was strutting around with this bat in hand and gesturing and mumbling something to my husband, but not really threatening him directly. I don't know if I have this documented or not, because this was just at the beginning of things before he really got going and I started taking notes.
I am really afraid of retaliation, which is exactly what he wants. I am fearful for my husband who has a brain disorder as well, and the added stress can be too much. I want to do this once, do it right and have it over with!

lilith_rizel
June 3rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
I don't know what to suggest, as I have never had a neighbor like that. But I do know that it would upset me terribly, and I would probably go off oh him and say my fair share of things that I shouldn't. I have a little bit of a temper like that, torwards people like him.....I guess I have that whole "I hate being told what to do" thing yet. I can be such a rebel at times.... LOL

Schwinn
June 3rd, 2005, 06:11 PM
Oh the things I would do...

Put up a big sign just pass the fence so he can only see it when it looks over that says, "Get a life!", or "Go Away!", or even, "Old people are dying, why aren't you?" Or next time you have people over, and you KNOW he's going to stick his ugly mug over the fence, set up all your lawn chairs and towards his side and just wait. When he does, everyone give him a big hello! Or, go the vindictive route. Call the city on him about his back fence (legally, he needs to have an order for it, which I forget what it is called, and they will make him take it down. It doesn't have to be the neighbour who's property it's on), and let him know that if he doesn't leave you alone, you'll bring up the other things he has that aren't legal (doesn't matter that you don't know about them, he doesn't know that). Or, just go to the grocery store, and buy a mixed pack of puddings, and every thirty days fill up an envelope with a new flavour (dump it right in the envelope), stick it in his mail box, and put the return address as "Pudding of the month". Okay, that last one won't stop him, but it'd be fun, no?

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
i say let him call the police, eventually they will take him less seriously and he will look stupid

Eleni

SarahLynn123
June 3rd, 2005, 06:17 PM
This is not going to help your situation, it will probably drive him insane, but you could go the opposite direction he is going and kill him with kindness!

You can get those books/calander daily sayings, they are cheap. Find one thats overly nice and slip one in his mailbox daily. Something like "may today be as beautiful as yesterday, and tommorrow better then today" Something really cheesy and a new one everyday. Religous ones are excellent aswell.

I dont have anything that will actually stop him though. We had neighbours like that and the cops just told them to stop calling becasue they were no longer comming out, and they didn't come after that.

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Don't put stuff in his mailbox, it's illegal. :eek: BUT you can check with your city to see if there's a by-law about leaving flyers between doors or in door handles. If there isn't, you can go that route. ;)

doggy lover
June 3rd, 2005, 06:47 PM
i guess you own your home and he owns his, if not you could go to the landlord. I use to live in a 3 story apartment building and the neighbours above me once were from hell, they smoked drugs, spat over the balconie threw cig butts over and the kids that lived there were worse, peed over threw dirty diapers, toys beer bottles you name it , I complained to my landlord and they just made lame excuses, so one day I took 2 garbage bags of crap to the office and threw it all ove the floor and said now you know how I have to live. I told them that if they did nothing about it that I was sueing them for loss of enjoyment because I could not enjoy my residence and I contacted the landlords and tenants association and they advised me further. The tenants use to buzz everyones door at 2 -5 am and get you to let them in I told them that unless they wanted to meet my 120 lb dog at the the door they better not do it again they never bothered me again. One night one of their friends kicked the front door in and woke up the whole building. Anyways the landlord said to me that they were going to give them an eviction notice that day anyways yeah right. Now I live in a townhouse and my nerves are alot better, Oh yeah one time my mouth got away with me and I yelled at the woman living there outside and all my neighbours cheered, I told you guys I'm a bitch.

lilith_rizel
June 3rd, 2005, 07:17 PM
I remember my mom used to have an issue with this one lady. The lady wasn't her neighbor, but caused alot of problems for my mom. What my mom ended up doing if finding a dead skunk on the road, and put it in this woman's mail box, and supedglued it shut. Now, although that is VERY illegal, I could just imagine what that lady thought after she finally got her mailbox open, and has to smell dead skunk. She never bothered my mom again after that.....

charoscoe
June 3rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
I have to say I really like the direction that Schwinn was going. You know this is your house and your life, why should you be concerned about some moron who lives beside you? You mentioned that you know all the by-laws - so use them to your advantage. Keep the radio turned up until 10:59 pm (or whatever the curfew is).
Personally I would feel sorry for this guy if he lived beside me, I would do anything I could think of that would set him off, just for fun. Why should he controll your summer activities?

He's just being a bully and needs to be put in his place.

iRONKNiGHT
June 3rd, 2005, 10:14 PM
Put up a big sign just pass the fence so he can only see it when it looks over that says, "Get a life!", or "Go Away!", or even, "Old people are dying, why aren't you?" Or next time you have people over, and you KNOW he's going to stick his ugly mug over the fence, set up all your lawn chairs and towards his side and just wait. When he does, everyone give him a big hello!

I'm sure glad you're on Our side LOL :grouphug:
yeah i agree with the others Schwinn is right on!!

Bearsmom
June 4th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Ugh, I had started a thread about this awhile ago. I snapped like a twig the other day when I caught him giving Bear and Kaos pigs ears over the fence. He said he was just trying to make them like him....um, buddy, they give the dogs the worst gas and poopies EVER. Soon as I stood up to him and snapped, he's been pleasant as ever. Huh.

Some suggestions:

Is there a fence between the yards? Make it HIGHER.

Document EVERY interaction with this clown, once documented, get a restraining order. (it can be done)

Earplugs? Hehehe couldn't resist.

iRONKNiGHT
June 4th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Document EVERY interaction with this clown,

hey now that's my line............ :clown: :clown: :clown:
I see someone's being funny! or just reading my post's! or just thinking like i do! :D

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 05:22 PM
I don't like our neighbours they are just mean but they haven't done anything horrible expect tell my kids they can't play there and say nasty untrue stuff behind our backs. If they move when we finally do get our dog I would be very happy.

Luba
June 5th, 2005, 06:44 PM
There's a solution......

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Why not give him a taste of his own medicine?

Invite all of your friends over, line up, and peer over HIS fence at him, exaggerating his usual expression. Do this frequently. The more people, the better.

When he is outside, start YOUR lawn mower, take a seat nearby, and just let it run. Have someone sit next to you, and yell your conversation LOUDLY to one another: "SO! HOW WAS YOUR DAY?" "FINE, AND YOURS?"...

If he coughs, sneezes or passes wind- shout "I HEARD THAT! I'M CALLING THE POLICE!!!!!!!!!!!"

Tell him that his flowers have been spreading their pollen all over YOUR yard- and you don't have to stand for it. You want that pollen picked up immediately.

When he walks out of his front door, point at him with tremendous accusation, shrieking "MY GOD! YOU'VE GOT GARBAGE IN YOUR YARD!!!!". Stop, study him for a moment, shrug and say "Oh. Never mind. It's only you."

LL1
June 5th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I feel your pain.I can't afford video cameras,but wish I could.My neighbour hates dogs,mine in particular.He comes onto MY property when the dogs are outside and brings his phone and then calls animal control when they bark.He clearly watches very closely for when I go inside or have not come out with them.Took me awhile to figure out what he was doing.

coppperbelle
June 6th, 2005, 07:00 AM
I think your best bet is to ignore this neighbor completely. If he does something like shine lights on your house, let the police deal with it. Keep track in writing with date, time etc.. of everything but do not talk to this man. The police will eventually have to do something. He is looking for attention and if you don't give it to him he may get bored after awhile if the police don't force him to stop first.

There was a story a few years back of a gay couple who lived next to a man on the west island of MOntreal. They took their neighbor to court stating that he was prejudiced by their way of life and did things to harrass them. He claimed trivial things such as grass clippings went on his lawn. This went on for years and the poor man went through hell. They even contacted the media who of course had a field day with it. When the gay couple took their neighbor to court it was in the news everyday. The judge found that the gay couple were the cause of the problem and told them to "cut it out".

chico2
June 6th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Just a word of caution,right across the street from me,a single woman moved in,well dressed,always working on the house and yard.
I started getting strange notes,about how she hates people in Oakville,how she was once jailed for arson..also how she hated police and firemen..and much more....
It turned out she had given notes to everyone up the street,she would scream obcenitys to anyone passing her house,even kids...for no reason at all.
I and a neighbor collected all the notes and called the police,she had also thrown rocks and garbage at her direct neighbors house..pulled out plants etc...
The police just told us to document every incident,even with the signed threatening notes,they could do nothing.
It turns out she was schizophrenic,the house belongs to her father.
She has since been institutionalized,after causing serious damage to a house belonging to an old couple.
After finding out about her problem,I kind of felt sorry for her,after all she was sick...but I am also glad she's looked after.
The house is now empty...
But you do not always know if a person is right in their mind and your neighbor certainly seems to be a little more than an irritating neighbor.

Luba
June 6th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I think your best bet is to ignore this neighbor completely
AGREE!!!! Any type of interaction to someone emotionally/mentally unstable can cause more grief your way. Some people unfortunately perceive things differently because of their mental capabilities. I'd just ignore, as difficult as that may be it would be your best solution.

Ofcourse if anything 'criminal' happens document and report it to the police. However it can 'consume' you and your lifestyle to go overboard in documenting every little thing this person says or does.

If you feel in danger, thats a diff story....then just being 'annoyed' with an idiot for a neighbour!

Dukieboy
June 6th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Buy yourself one of those fake cameras at Radio Shack or Canadian Tire, under 20 bucks. Put up a sign This Area Under Surveillance. Good Luck.

BMDLuver
June 6th, 2005, 09:06 AM
The joys of neighbours. I worked a 10 hour shift on Sunday, got home, put my feet up and was having a cooler. The neighbour is out sledgehammering posts into his garden or rather his wife is as he doesn't do anything but water. My one dog races over to the fence line and barks at him. I call her back to me and tell her to shush. He immediately yells put your dogs in the house, they've been barking all day. I ask my husband if he left the dogs out, he says they just came out with you, they've been in all day with us. So I put both dogs on a long leash and keep them beside me. He proceeds to walk back and forth along the fenceline to antagonize them. Both dogs behave so he's pissed, lol. Meanwhile, bichon in the back of us is barking it's fool head off for an hour. Does he say anything, nope... I swear there is no winning with some people. :mad:

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
If he's shining lights at your house...mirrors are your friend... ;)

lezzpezz
June 6th, 2005, 01:57 PM
You guys are too much! I love the Pudding of the month and the dead skunk glued in the mailbox! Unfortunately, I don't want to set foot on his property, as I think he might have cameras and spyware too! :eek: He has been robbed a number of times and has built his place like a fortress. Fences can only be built so high, then they are illegal. I have put up trellises and have vines growing, (not fast enough!), to cover these and that will make a pretty solid screen, until he sprays Killex on them! Yeah, I suspect he will.

As for the music going to 10:59 p.m., unfortunately in London, or actually fortunately!, there is a 24 hour noise bylaw, as this is a university/college city and the law has cracked down on the noise that the students make, 24 hours a day!

I was under the impression that the issue of the fence being moved had to be broached by the owners of the property, and that the city will do nothing about it unless they complain, not me, as it is a boundary dispute between their properties and not mine. I doubt anything will happen with the fence now anyway, as the new folks just stained their side of the fence, so I guess they are okay with it where it is! That should drive the old guy nuts! Someone painted "his" fence!! I'm sure he'll blow a gasket when he notices it! HA HA HA!! Perhaps this will take the heat off me!!

sammiec
June 6th, 2005, 02:07 PM
the only thing I can think of is, build your fence a foot higher. If he says that it's his fence, build another inside your property line about 6 inches and then build it high!!
People like that are just soooo difficult to deal with. It's hard to come up with a solution... they will find a way to make it more difficult then it's worth.... :sad:

chico2
June 6th, 2005, 02:23 PM
LP,if you want a fast growing vine,get a Virginia Creeper...one pot we planted is now covering the back of the house.....I have a few vines and the VC is definetly the fastest growing...unfortunately it does not flower,but it is nice and purple in the fall...here's Rocky in the vine on top of our pergola.

lezzpezz
June 6th, 2005, 02:31 PM
That is what I have planted!That and a few others that do flower. It is growing fast, but of course, I'd like immediate coverage :rolleyes: I caught him out there giving my vines a trim! And I did build a second fence on our property that runs parallel to his, 6" apart, but he seems to think he can do what he wants with stuff growing on our fence! The guy truly has issues and is unbalanced, but I am going to end this soon the right way, perhaps with a lawyer and the with the polices' assistance!!

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 02:50 PM
I remember now. It's called a variance. Any property modification that is within certain distances of the boundaries requires a variance. I believe the fence would qualify, and I believe you only have to make a call to the by-law office, even anonymously. As for him trimming your vines, a few well-placed poison ivy leaves should fix that...

lezzpezz
June 6th, 2005, 03:03 PM
So, Schwinn, if this fence is actually attached to my fence at one end and runs perpendicular to mine, this is an issue I can call about? Their 2 back yards run parallel to mine and my fence is holding up this fence. I was under the impression that I could not interfere. Hmmmm.....will call the city and see.....intriguing!! ;)

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 03:43 PM
My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that it may be an issue with the by-law department for two reasons. One, the fence MAY need a variance approval as it does not conform to standards (it is outside of his surveyed property), and two, some towns require permission to erect a fence. The first issue, though, I'm not entirely sure of. The town may not care until it is time to assess for taxes, and even then they may not care. If the owners of the property were to try for a mortgage, and the bank found out for an appraisal, they would certainly care. But the property owners should certainly care as well. If they were trying to sell the house, the new owners may not want a smaller backyard. If it were me, I'd take the fence down and when Frumpy Joe complains, just say, "Oh, it was on my property, so I assumed it was mine!"
My wife had friends who were having a dispute with a psycho neighbour, and I know they called the bylaw department on him because of something that really didn't effect tham. So you can call and make an inquire.

lezzpezz
June 6th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I called the city bylaw office and there is nothing that I, myself, can do as it is between the property owners. All I can do is egg on the new neighbours to persue this avenue and get a new survey.

I also called the COR unit (police) and TOLD them that enough is enough, I WANT ACTION and I want this nonsense to stop immediately, even if they have to press harrassement or mischief charges. My hubby is gonna blow, and the stress will put him in the hospital. I told the officer in charge of this unit that this has been going on for 6 years, and he was fumbling around trying to bring our file up on the computer. He did see some stuff, and noted that it is an ongoing problem for years. He said they are swamped, (ah, the fun of summer and neighbours), and will put me near the top of the list to visit, talk and make a plan of action. He will then visit this guy to determine if he is "cuckoo", to quote the officer!, and take it from there.

Apparently, according to another neighbour, this nut was booted out of a condo complex by a petition signed by all of the other tennants!! He has a history of being a nasty jerk, so I am not the first one to have to deal with his bullpucky! Too bad I can't petition him out of the neighbourhood, but he is a home owner! :mad:

Cactus Flower
June 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM
"Bullpucky" LOL! I love it.

Just a reminder- I was completely joking in my last post. Comic relief, that's all.

I do agree that going the legal route is the best way, but that had already been said.

I'm so glad that you are "near" the top of the list, and might have this situation under control soon! Yaaaaaay!

Schwinn
June 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Yea, I wasn't sure how they would handle the bylaw thing. I think it does depend on the town and the issue. However, my one concern would be the urban legend about "sqatter's rights". That's where if you are taking care of an adjacent portion of your neighbour's property, it becomes yours. For example, we have this wierd fence thing where one of our side yards is cut off from the rest of the property by our fence, but our neighbour does not have a fence there, so the 3x20 foot strip is fully accessable. Squatter's rights says that if we never cut our own grass there, but she does, and we never use that portion, after a period of time, she can claim rights to that property. I'm pretty sure that this is an urban legend, but I've never been able to verify that. Needless to say, I cut my own yard, just in case.

lezzpezz
June 8th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Last night around 6 p.m., a nice neighbour came to tell my husband that the idiot kook had an Animal Control vehicle parked in his driveway for some time :eek: Immediately, I figure he's working up his case for the BSL that comes into effect Aug. 29, and he is planning his attack. In all likelyhood, he will accuse one or more of my dogs of being "vicious", and that seems to me to be all that is needed to have one or more of my dogs removed from my household :mad: I am very concerned about his motives and am forced to plan my attack and put it into motion, which I have already begun! If he wants a bloody war, he's most definitely got one! He's picked the wrong family to F*** with, that's for certain. I have a lawyer lined up ready to give advice etc. and a legal rep ready to pen any letters that I deem necessary. To arms! To arms!!

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 09:54 AM
To arms! To arms!!

You go girl!! we are right behind you !!http://bestsmileys.com/army/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/army/5.gif
http://bestsmileys.com/army/2.gif

lilith_rizel
June 8th, 2005, 11:11 AM
Happycats,

I love that emote, where did you get it. I would love to send it to James......

happycats
June 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Here is the site, http://www.bestsmileys.com/pageindex.htm Look under "army". Enjoy :)

Dukieboy
June 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I called the city bylaw office and there is nothing that I, myself, can do as it is between the property owners. All I can do is egg on the new neighbours to persue this avenue and get a new survey.

I also called the COR unit (police) and TOLD them that enough is enough, I WANT ACTION and I want this nonsense to stop immediately, even if they have to press harrassement or mischief charges. My hubby is gonna blow, and the stress will put him in the hospital. I told the officer in charge of this unit that this has been going on for 6 years, and he was fumbling around trying to bring our file up on the computer. He did see some stuff, and noted that it is an ongoing problem for years. He said they are swamped, (ah, the fun of summer and neighbours), and will put me near the top of the list to visit, talk and make a plan of action. He will then visit this guy to determine if he is "cuckoo", to quote the officer!, and take it from there.

Apparently, according to another neighbour, this nut was booted out of a condo complex by a petition signed by all of the other tennants!! He has a history of being a nasty jerk, so I am not the first one to have to deal with his bullpucky! Too bad I can't petition him out of the neighbourhood, but he is a home owner! :mad:

With people like this, you are rarely the first one. Like I say about my neighbour, "when will she find a new victim?" She harassed the neighbours on the other side of her so bad they sold the house. No word of a lie.

lilith_rizel
June 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks happycats!!!

lezzpezz
June 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Have not had appointment date set with the COR unit of the police, but the neighbours directly beside the goof on the other side of his property are more than happy to join us in the discussion with the officer! They have suffered several years worth of abuse from this guy and have been waiting for a way to end the garbage as well. I had invited them to think about attending the meeting and they jumped at the opportunity! I think it holds much more credibility when 2 households unite over the same issue, that being the jerk in the middle. I hope the police actually find a solution to end the crap once and for all. Will keep you posted....... :fingerscr

chico2
June 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Lezzerpezzer,I hope something can be done about this jerk...and yes,2 households is better than one.
I our case,the woman gave threatening notes to everyone on our street and when she finally did something criminal,she was sent away,it's been a year now and she's still not back,the house(owned by her father)is still empty...
Good Luck!