Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Barking Shih Tzu

gjohnson
June 3rd, 2005, 01:40 PM
When I'm walking my Shih Tzu whenever we encounter another dog that's bigger than her she starts barking at them like crazy its quite embarassing. (Actually she doesn't even have to see them, if she knows where a dog lives she starts) I practrically have to drag her away. When we first brought her home from the H.S. she was so timid now she thinks she owns the neighbourhood. Any advice on how to stop this behaviour is appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM
You say she was quite timid, so this may be her way of making sure no dogs come after her.

Don't drag her away. If you do, you're telling her that you are nervous and that she has reason to be afraid.

Are the other dogs behind fences? Does she know "sit"? Most dogs do not find it comfortable to sit and bark. Have her sit at the first sign of barking. You have to catch her before she starts barking hysterically. Say a loud "NO BARK" to startle her and reward her the instant she stops. Gradually wait longer before rewarding her. Just sit there with her until she gets bored. This is a way of desensitizing her to the presence of other dogs.

gjohnson
June 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Sometimes their behind fences but sometimes their owners are taking them for walks as well. That sounds like great advice I will try this tonight. Thank you

BeagleMum
June 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Spencer does the exact same thing but he will even do it if we are in the house and anyone walks by. It's like he thinks we own the road. I will have to try that method too.