Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Teaching my new baby

matjav
June 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Hi everyone, my name is Matias, I'm new to this forum, I've been reading and it seems really useful!
I'm from Argentina, and I just got a new puppy, and wanted to ask you some questions. We called her Brisa, she's so beautiful and playful, just 50 days old now. She's a Doberman and Rottweiler mix.
My problem is, that I don't know what to do since she's biting everything on her way, I know this is normal for a puppy, and I want to play with her all she needs, but sometimes she's a little too destructive biting plants, furniture, etc.
So, I just wanted to know what's the best thing I can do for her about that. That's all I wanted to know, thanks for the help, and I'm glad I found this site :D Bye

Matias

tenderfoot
June 4th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Nipping is normal for all puppies. We need to teach her 'bite-inhibition'. Normally her mother would have taught this to her - but people usually take the pups away before she gets the chance.
If you act like a litter mate then the puppy will treat you like a litter mate - if you act like a parent the puppy will treat you with respect like a parent. You teach them like the mother would NOT like the other puppies would.
You should not shake or Alpha role a puppy and do not punish her with the crate. But that doesn't mean you can't be clear about your boundaries of right and wrong behavior. Momma would correct the biting and then give her another chance to choose better. If after a few attempts to correct her don't deter her then she would correct her intensely one last time and then walk away.
We allow a puppy to put her mouth on our hands (because puppies relate to the world through their mouths) and teach her not to use pressure on us. We position our hand intentionally with a thumb in her mouth. If she presses down at all - we firmly say "quit" in a low tone and QUICKLY press down on the tongue with the thumb. Don't hold your finger down, just press and release. She will want to spit your thumb out of her mouth because it is no fun. Sometimes it takes 3-5 corrections before she knows you mean business. But then continue to play with her and keep correcting the bad choices and praising the good ones. It is fast and intense but not harmful. Continue to play with her in a gentle manner - she will learn that gentle playing is more fun and lasts longer.
Next, you need to teach her 'leave it' - I am going to look up where I have posted it before and get it for you - but this should get her started on respecting your word and learning not to use her mouth on everyone.

matjav
June 5th, 2005, 12:56 PM
thanks a lot for the help, I'll try all you said with her. I'm learing a lot with this forum and the website. Ok, bye and thanks for the help. Greetings from Argentina!

Matias

MollysMommy
June 5th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Since my puppy is also going through a biting stage, she tends to bite things she shouldn't. If I catch her biting something that she shouldn't, I say "no" firmly and then give her one of her toys she can chew on. This has really helped her with what she can chew on and what she shouldn't. She has learned what toys are hers.

Cactus Flower
June 5th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Just wanted to say WELCOME TO THE BOARDS, Matias!

We're glad to have you here, a voice from beautiful Argentina!

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/3.gif

matjav
June 13th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the welcome and all the help. I hope I can keep learning things from everyone and sharing. Sorry for the delay, I've had my computer broken all week.
Ok, hope to keep learing here, bye, greetings from Argentina

Matias