Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

teaching dog to ride in wagon

raingirl
June 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Anyone taught their dog to ride in a wagon? We are thinking of getting one for Odin.

We want one to have in the case of an emergency. He is heavy, and because we are in an apartment, it would be hard to carry him (if we had to) to the elevator, in the elevator, and to the car...say if he couldn't walk or was unconcious.

Should we just leave it around the apartment and let him get used to it? I'm sure if we put a blanket in it, he would probably crawl in it and fall asleep. How would we introduce the movement part?

We also want to take the wagon with us to the farmers market (we have one every saturday all summer starting in 2 weeks), so if Odin is tired he can sit in it, or we can put our food in it, and he can walk.

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Meater will ride in a wagon! He loves it. :D Rotten puppy! Anyway I put him up in alot of times through out the day and just let him get in and out. Than after a little while I would put him in it and tell him stay and give him a treat and we worked that way. After that we would move it just a little bit and give him a treat than after that he was fine. We have like a thing that hooks to his collar so that he is safe in there. But he would sit there no matter what. He loves it. Chino on the other hand we are still working on. LOL :D

raingirl
June 3rd, 2005, 11:37 AM
Whew! At least I am not crazy wanting to teach him to ride in a wagon! I just can't imagine trying to carry a 55 lb dog 30 ft to the elevator, wait for 10 minutes (still carrying him) while we get to the parking lot (our elevator is really slow..) and then carry him 100 ft to the car! Wagon seems so much easier.

I want to get a clip on umbrella as well so he can sit and enjoy the ride in the shade while we shop!

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 11:44 AM
I can just see Odin sitting in the wagon with the umbrella you should get him some sunglassess he would be cool! I want to see pictures! :D I know what you mean Chino is 60 pounds and still growing. :D

kandy
June 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
I'd like to teach Hazel to pull a wagon when she's older - but I've never thought about teaching a dog to ride in a wagon! LOL

We have a friend whose dog (a maltese) loved to ride on the waverunners though! She would stand between your legs with her paws on the handle bars and just bark, bark, bark. She was riding with me one time and jumped off before we got all the way back to shore - because waverunners have jet intakes, I shut it down immediately so that I wouldn't suck her in. It was a good thing, because she did go under the waverunner! :eek: She didn't get hurt, but she never wanted to ride with me again! LOL

If I ever come to Canada, I'll join you at the farmer's market and Hazel can pull the wagon with Odin in it! Now that would be a picture! :D

Good Luck!

Lissa
June 3rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
Teaching a dog to ride in a wagon would be very convenient in emergencies!

Up at the lake, we aren't allowed to let the dogs off the property so we always had to start the car to take the dog for a walk (she was about 60lbs).

Instead of a wagon, I wanted to get Dodger used to riding in one of those bike trailers for children! It would be ideal if he learned to accept it!