Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Bloat

raingirl
June 3rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
Anyone know what the typical danger zone for bloat after eating is? Or can a dog get bloat at any time? If the danger is more after eating (which i beleive it is) how long before you would be out of the danger zone?

Prin
June 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
They can get it any time, but you're supposed to restrict exercise and monitor water consumption an hour before and an hour after eating. If they drink litres and litres in one shot, they can swallow too much air and get it. That's about all I know about timing.

doggy lover
June 3rd, 2005, 06:09 PM
Our dog bloated on the way home from the cottage no food or water was given the only thing about hem was he could get very anxious and this can cause bloat too. I don't think there is a true reason that it happens, it could more than one thing that causes it, but I guess they have found it happens more after eating with activity or large amounts of water and so on, I just know it is scary when it does.

Toonces
June 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM
It sure is scary! One of our fosters bloated and it was the most upsetting thing I have ever seen, you have to know the signs like trying to vomit, vomiting white foam, can't get comfortable and a distended stomach I was lucky to get Reilly to the vet within 15 min and he pulled through his surgery fine and is now a very happy boy in his forever home.

Like Prin said restricting food before and after playtime is a good way to avoid it and also anxious dogs are more likely to bloat, I heard that now in some breeds they actually tack the tummy down when they are spayed or neutered.

doggy lover
June 3rd, 2005, 06:24 PM
I read that here about a great dane.

mona_b
June 5th, 2005, 03:13 AM
Are you worried about your baby??If so I wouldn't.Bloat is only in deep chested dogs,and believe it or not,Bulldogs are not considered deep chested.But here is a link to Bloat.It also tells you the breeds prone to it.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I get a different opinion from different people. Some say bulldogs are deep chested, others say no, some websites say they are prone, some say no. My vet basically said each bulldog is different. Some are more deep chested then others. OUrs happens to be faily deep chested, and could be prone to bloat, so we keep an eye on him. I know three other people with bullies in the GTA who have bloated before, so it seems to be possible.

SnowDancer
June 5th, 2005, 10:58 AM
My understanding is the same as Prin's. There are other factors of course, but definitely the eating and drinking - and also apparently keeping portions small - just feed more often.

Eleni
June 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM
is it ONLY deep chested dogs that get bloat?

or is it possible for any dog?

sam tend to eat very fast, and tho hes not a breed prone to it I often wonder if i shoudl feed him half his portion at a time to slow him down

Eleni

raingirl
June 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Any dog can get bloat, just certain ones are more prone.