Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Training-Command Order

ANBshilling
June 3rd, 2005, 11:15 AM
Ok, So far I have taught my pup to sit, go in your house, off (kinda) and leave it. Last thing we were working on was leash training and sit/stay. I just want him to know the basic commands for now. What command should I train next? Come? Down? Something else? I've tried down (laydown) a few times, but when I go to push him down his butt bounces up so he never goes completely down. When I try to grab his front paws, he does the same thing. I've tried moving a treat slowly to the ground, but that doesn't work either. Also, How do I make sure he knows his name? I'm pretty sure he does, but sometimes he doesn't look at me when I say it. I've slacked off for a couple of weeks on the training, but I feel I need to start it back up again soon.

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2005, 02:17 PM
You should enroll in an obedience class where you will learn how to train your dog.

Inconsistancy and giving up when it "doesn't work" is teaching your pup that he can ignore you.

Basenjis are not the easiest dogs to teach obedience to, so some help would be a good idea!:)

Lissa
June 3rd, 2005, 02:39 PM
I agree with Lucky Rescue!

Also, when Dodger and I went to obedience class I overheard a conversation. A man was saying that the owner of the training facility is the only person he knew to have successfully trained a Basenji.

Try teaching down with the treat again, lower it to the ground but push it toward the dog's chest. Don't let him take the treat until he goes all the way down though! If he is really not going to go down no matter what, then just try rewarding him when he does it on his own accord.

Obedience classes are a must for almost anyone, especially if you are having problems!

How old is the pup?

Good luck with training!

Melissa

ANBshilling
June 3rd, 2005, 02:48 PM
HI! He is about 6 months old. I am planning on taking him to obedience class. I found a guy that seem to be really good. The classes are once a week and the number of classes is unlimited, you go as long as you need until the dog learns what you want it to. Here is a little about the trainer:

"Collin County Canine's founder, Richard Barbee began his career working with dogs in the United States Air Force where he graduated highest in class at the Military Working Dog Handler School in San Antonio, Texas receiving the Honor Graduate Award.

He served during Desert Storm and participated in the organization and mobilization of six explosive detector dog teams destined for Saudi Arabia. Additionally, he participated in joint Secret Service details performing explosive detection for visiting dignitaries such as the Queen of England and the President of the United States. Since the Air Force, he founded Collin County Canine, providing customers with personal dog training services working with all ages and breeds."

I was going to try to teach him in the meantime because we are going on vacation the week after next. I guess I'll keep trying down until I have time to go to the classes. Hopefully we can start the week after we get back!

nymph
June 3rd, 2005, 03:21 PM
Commands Diego has learned (not yet mastered) in puppy class include:
-gentle (gently taking treats)
-gotcha (get hold of his collar)
-sit
-down
-come

*Down* is actually quite easy to teach: put a treat right up his nose and bring it down in between his 2 front paws and just wait. When he does finally comes down, reward him with a treat FROM THE OTHER HAND, very important! The lure is never given as the actual treat because you don't want your pet to work only for treats. Once he masters this, you can try it without the lure, but still give treats. Once he masters that, try to bring your hand higher and higher away from the ground, eventually you won't need to bent down to order him to get *down* anymore.

I've been practicing *down* with Diego almost everyday, we do it at different locations throughout the house and backyard. He is still quite reward-oritented, but he's getting there.

I also think that puppy training is essential, BOTH your puppy and you will learn a great deal from this class. We are finishing up puppy shcool and are going to basic obedience training next month.

Good luck with your puppy training!

Lissa
June 3rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
I've forgotten a lot from the beginner obedience classes! Nymph is right - reward the dog from the other hand!!!

I aslo wanted to add that: using hand signals can make a command much easier for dogs to learn something. Example: I'm trying to teach Dodger different ways to return to heel and I don't have a hand signal for it - over 2 weeks and Dodger still hasn't learned it! Whereas I usually have a hand signal for new commands and he picks it up in no more than 2 days!

levimh
June 5th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I agree with Lissa with using hand signals. When I taught Levi everything, I always used hand signals, so now he can do it with hand signals or verbally or both. I've found that he responds a couple seconds faster with the hand signals than he oes verbally.

Dogastrophe
June 5th, 2005, 02:24 PM
An added benefit of dual training on voice and hand signals can occur if in the future the dog develops either a blindness or deafness, you do not have to 'retrain' all of the basics to compensate but rather switch to the necessary signal / command.

ANBshilling
June 10th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Davy has learned down!
I've been getting Davy to lay down by making him look down for the treat, however I'm getting him to sit first, then go down. Should I make him do it when he's standing up?

Copper'sMom
June 10th, 2005, 11:19 AM
using hand signals can make a command much easier for dogs to learn something

Unbeknownst to me, I taught Copper hand signals!!! I had never even thought of it, but while I was training him, I was using my hands at the same time. I realised it one day, when he was at my mom's out in the farthest corner of the backyard. I called his name, told him to come and he just looked at me. So then I waved my arm and next thing I knew he came running! So instead of yelling out to him, I get his attention and signal the command.

You never realize how much your dog pays attention to you, until something like this happens!

Lissa
June 10th, 2005, 01:48 PM
I'm glad that Davy has learned down! With regards to going down from sit, it really depends on you and what you plan on doing with Davy. If Davy is just going to be a family dog, no competition or good neigbour testing etc.. then it probably doesn't matter if he slides into his down from a sit.

Dodger got into sitting before a down so now I have to undo all of that - which is taking lots of time! Like I said before, take a treat and push it toward Davy's chest so he lowers to his elbows first and then brings the hind end down! He should reach down to get the treat, go into a bow position and then fold the rest of the way down. It's taking a long time to untrain Dodger so, if it matters to you, then start getting him to go right into a down NOW and not later! GOOD LUCK!!

Did you start taking him to obedience classes yet?

Have you been working on any other commands?

Melissa

nymph
June 10th, 2005, 03:14 PM
My trainer prefers the dog to perform the *down* command from a standing position.

Hand signals are actually a much more powerful command to pet compared with voice command. It's always better to use teach your pet both, refer to Dogastrophe's comment for reason.

However because hand signals are much stronger, you should leave a little break in between your your voice and hand command, e.g. say *sit*, wait a couple of seconds then use hand to signal *sit*. Practice this only when your dog has firmly learned the hand signal. This way the dog hears *sit*, he has no idea what's going on, but when he sees the hand signal *sit*, he understands what that means so he puts his butt down. After a while, when he hears *sit*, he knows what's to come next, might as well put his butt down now, and voila he learns the *sit* voice command.