Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

incontinance in a dog

mamagee
June 3rd, 2005, 10:35 AM
My rotweiler is 6 years old and in the last monthe or so she has started to leak from the bladder. The vet has tried antibiotics thinking it might be an infection. Can incontinance be controlled in an animal. She is healthy other than this new problem. Does anyone have any advice Thanks

SarahLynn123
June 3rd, 2005, 10:41 AM
My rotweiler is 6 years old and in the last monthe or so she has started to leak from the bladder. The vet has tried antibiotics thinking it might be an infection. Can incontinance be controlled in an animal. She is healthy other than this new problem. Does anyone have any advice Thanks

In most cases it sure can! and easily to! I have an incontinent 8 year old German Shephard and she has it really bad. She gets estrogen twice a week (tiny hot pink pill) and propalin 3 times a day (a liquid that goes right in her food). My vet says sometimes all they need is estrogen!

Did your vet take a urine sample to rule out an infection?

If not Id find another vet. It seems a bit off to me that your vet would give you drugs without doing any tests.

Hope everything works out for you!
Sarah

Prin
June 3rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Also, is the doggy leaking while sleeping or squatting? You can look in the health section here for the bedwetting thread..

melanie
June 3rd, 2005, 07:26 PM
i have a 9yo german shep who also is incontinent. i odnt give her hormones or any form of medication (its a bit unnatural for my liking, but i dont judge others for trying). and to me its jsut my little girls pee, nothing bad about that, i really dont mind it, it never smells and is easy to clean up. she does not have issues with it any more either, when she was little she thought it was naughty (i ahve never grouched on her for it ever, its not her fault, she just know), now she does not show any signs of worry when an accident occurs which underr my management is rare...

my girl became incontinent when she was about 3yo. and we have trained her and ourselves to live with it, we very rarely have big problems these days.

basically i have trained her to pee (we call it havin a waz). for years whenever she peed i would go out and cheerily say 'have a waz, oh good girl have a waz'. now i can say have a waz and she does, every single time (great trick for travelling).

basically what i do is jsut make sure her bladder is emptied regularly and we aviod most problems, she will also do it for anyone who asks. i watch how much she drinks and take her out accerdingly. she pees every hour or two, and that avoids most accidents. the onyl time she really does anymore is if she is in a deep sleep, then she may have a little leak.

but really its not an issue in our house, i could never bring myself to give her those type of meds so we cope other ways (i jsut cant, to toxic for my baby, but amy not be so for other dogs). and she is happy, and so are we.

you will find your way of dealing with it, but definatly get the vet to run urine tests to make sure it is definatly it and not some sort of illness.

good luck wiht it, and feel free to discuss it at any time, us gals know how you feel for sure. :D :grouphug: