Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The owner of our house is going to sell

jackieb
June 3rd, 2005, 09:15 AM
which isnt a problem we are moving but we were not advised they had contacted a real estate and gave them our phone number. They rung us and wanted a appointment i didnt at first as i wanted to make sure this had been arranged and i was angry that no one told us.

Anyway what i want to know is how much notice they need to give for appointments someone said 24 hour. Can we specify times my children go to bed early? Also are we expected to clean the house for the viewings?

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 09:17 AM
your landord has to have 24 hour notice for any entry onto the rental unless for emergency reasons, by law.

So i assume it goes the same way. s for specifying specific times, I dont think you can as long as you get the official 24 hour notice that is required

Eleni

BMDLuver
June 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
ahhh, the joys begin. 24 hours notice with small children is the norm. However, agents and owners can be difficult to deal with so they may not wish to comply to that rule. Speak with the owner of the home and try to lay out some ground rules. Most people view homes in daylight hours as you can see the property as well. I'm afraid you'll have to keep the house spic n span for viewings. It's a nightmare, I've done it 7 times.

Isisgoddess
June 3rd, 2005, 09:40 AM
Even with 24 hours notice, they still have to come at a reaonable hour. They can't show up at 6:00 a.m. or 10:00 p.m!

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
They have to give you a 24 hour notice and they will come through the day (that is the best time to see a house) anyway the bad news is that you are incharge of making sure the house is spotless and I know that is hard with kids but they do not care they just want it clean. So yes you are the one that will have the bad end of the deal! :eek:

Schwinn
June 3rd, 2005, 10:04 AM
Well, you are responsible for keeping it clean. They can't force you to, so that's up to you. I guess one deterrant for last minute calls is when they do come in, have the place a mess, and tell the agent that they need to give you some notice next time.

jackieb
June 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
thats good i looked into it they have to give me 24 hour notice and i can refuse them after certain hours due to the children I do not have to have the place clean and it wil be how it always is im not tidying up every time they have a viewing!!

happycats
June 3rd, 2005, 10:34 AM
Is it the law to have your place clean when the landlord is selling ??
That's crazy!!
who decides what "clean" is ?
And who could possibly enforce this ?

jackieb
June 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
no its not the law i just inquired im certainly not going to i have enough to do l ;)

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 02:22 PM
When we were looking at homes, you could tell which ones were rentals and which ones were lived in by the owners. The owners would use every trick in the book to help make the sale (like bake cookies right before the visit). The renters would act like they were trying to sabotage the sale! We had to walk over piles of laundry, there were dirty dishes in the sink, one place even had dog poo on the carpet! :eek: I guess they liked the house and didn't want the owner to sell! :D I guess you don't have to clean up before a visit, but some of these people clearly weren't going to ask their current landlords for a referral. :rolleyes:

jackieb
June 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
I dont need a referal but to be quite honest i was pxxxed off they didnt give me warning a real estate guy would ring. I will not be making the house presentable every time theres a viewing it will be like it normally is not untidy but not tidy :D I have 3 children its lived in :rolleyes:

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
Id say dont do extra housework per se. I mean im sure you live life normally and do the normal amount of housework.

and if your landlord wants the place cleaner, they can clean it. or they can show the house once you have moved. It is afterall their decision to show the hosue while there are still tenants living in it.

Eleni

Writing4Fun
June 3rd, 2005, 03:08 PM
Absolutely! Hey, there's a thought - tell your landlord that the house will show better if he hires a professional cleaner to come in once a week. :D

wjranch
June 3rd, 2005, 03:29 PM
It's only common courtesy that the landlord advise you of his intent to sell the property. As it is common courtesy to keep your house clean for the sales agent to show it to prospective buyers.
(I do not mean you must scrub walls and floors, but, a clean home is one you would want to live in anyway, isn't it?)
They must give you 24 hours notice, and you are allowed to request a more convienient time then suggested by the agent ... if needed.
Most real estate professionals are just that. Professionals.
They do not want to aggravate a tenant, happy or unhappy, whatever the case may be. As no one knows during the sale process that prospective buyer may actually WANT to keep the current tenant in place. If your home is clean, tidy and well kept, that only looks good on you. It in no way reflects on the landlord.
I agree your landlord SHOULD have notified you prior to the agent contacting you. That would tick me off as well. Take it up with him then. Don't hold it against the sales rep... it's not their fault. They've been hired to do a job for a client, bottom line.
It has been my experience that sales reps are more then willing to be accomodating when it comes to tenants and thier lifestyles (kids, pets, shift work, whatever)
We're not ALL bad people :D some real estate reps are really nice :thumbs up

jackieb
June 3rd, 2005, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Eleni]Id say dont do extra housework per se. I mean im sure you live life normally and do the normal amount of housework.

and if your landlord wants the place cleaner, they can clean it. or they can show the house once you have moved. It is afterall their decision to show the hosue while there are still tenants living in it.

This is exactly what im going to do i have enough to do with 3 small children!