Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

tips on shaving down a dog

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 07:39 AM
ok I know lots can go wrong here, but i have barbers clippers with a guard and a very fluffy dog with a poodle coat?

any tips?? LOL

no seriously, between vet bills and my dentists bills lately we have no extra income for grooming for sam, but he really needs to be shaved down for summer.

should I just shave him the 1/2 inch length all over, or do I need to do anything special around his head?? leave the top longer? I know the grromer normally does, but shes magic with scissors and Honestly id prefer not to have scissors under my control anyplace near sams face. the clippers ahve a good guard so I dont worry much about those.

he has a very typical poodle coat, very curly

any tips would be appreciated I dont plan on doing this till tomorrow, if i do it at all, still undecided but i feel bad for the poor thing he will barely go outside because he dislikes the heat

Eleni

Schwinn
June 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM
My understanding is most breeds you aren't supposed to shave. My parents had a dog that had so much hair he looked like a bear in the backyard. We talked about getting his hair cut for the summer, and then we heard somewhere that a dogs hair is actually designed to keep them cool in the summer. There will probably be someone who can shed more light on this.

Cinnabear
June 3rd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Poodle type coats are allowed to be shaved. Their hair grows and does not fall out, so it could become long and matted.

I just shave my dog. It usually takes 2 days. He does not like his feet shaved, so I do his body and face one day then feet the other day. I have had no problems doing it myself.

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
so shaving everything is cool i dont need to leave his face hair longer?

here is a pic, you can see hes quite the ragga muffin at the moment

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/samnap.jpg

a better one below to see hsi face
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/SAMCLOSE.jpg

full pic of him

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/SamBefore.jpg
Eleni

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
I diddnt do too badly, his feet look like crap but hey he steps in a million different unidentifiable things anyhow so who minds the feet hehe

i left his head a little fluffy and trimed his eyes and snout a but so he doesnt get tearstains.

not bad for a first time ever

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/Picture60.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/SAMafter.jpg

Princesss04
June 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM
You should call CF and see if she would come over and shave your baby! LOL I mean she shaved Chloe! LOL :eek: I hope she reads this! LOL :eek: :D

kandy
June 3rd, 2005, 10:49 AM
Princess04: I was thinking the exact same thing!! LOL

At least Sam still has some hair! :D

Cactus Flower
June 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!!

Thank God he didn't turn out like this:

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
*chuckles*

he doesnt look like a professional did him, but he also doesnt look too bad either, and after a good bath i bet hed look even better.

CF you could always bring your baby here :P

Eleni

Copper'sMom
June 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Looks like you did a good job, Eleni! :thumbs up They always look cuter with a trim!

I wonder of the groomer would say you messed it up, the next time Sam goes in - just like a hairdresser would say that if you cut your own bangs!! LOL

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
OMG that dog isnt yours is it CF?

poor thing needs sunblock and lots of it

Eleni

Copper'sMom
June 3rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
Hey CF!!! Since when could we post pics of NAKED animals on this board?? LOL You'd better get Chloe a bra and panties!! :crazy:

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 10:57 AM
i bet they would, i trimed the fur towards his paws a bit short so im sure they would notice it.

but when he grows out he is so curly no one else would notice

Eleni

Cactus Flower
June 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Copper'sMom- HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

Yes, Eleni, that's my little Chloe. The reason behind her nakedness can be found in the thread "Oh no- what have I done?".

You did a fantastic job, by the way :thumbs up .

Eleni
June 3rd, 2005, 11:07 AM
omg LOL

i dont want to laugh but jsut cant help it.

even naked shes a beauty, so did the groomer mention how long it would take for her to get some fur??

Eleni

Cactus Flower
June 3rd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Ok I finally found the thread (there are more pics on the thread): http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15189&

It's already growing back in enough that I don't have to put sunscreen on her anymore.

Oh and go right ahead and laugh! I know what a mess I made!

Cinnabear
June 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
Great job Eleni. :thumbs up The first couple of times I was nervous too, but then I relaxed. And now I shave him every 6 - 8 weeks. You'll learn to do his face too without being scared.

doggy lover
June 3rd, 2005, 05:30 PM
CF everytime I look at the pics of your dog I just crack up, send some new ones come on please I need a laugh.

twinmommy
June 3rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
It's already growing back in enough that I don't have to put sunscreen on her anymore.

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

omigod, CF, lmao!!!! (and wiping coffee off the monitor!!! lol)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 3rd, 2005, 09:35 PM
http://www.homes4animals.com/H4ADogs.htm

Scroll down to Nikko if he doesn't appear already. I am thinking of conquering the grooming thing myself too when we get our dog.

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Seriously! I had to put sunscreen on her to protect her bare skin! Poor baby.

Here's a recent pic- as you can see, it really is growing back in a bit:
(Sorry to hijack, Eleni; my last post on this I swear)

Eleni
June 4th, 2005, 08:34 AM
LOL hijack away I find it hilarious

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/Denise_rector_bouchard/Point_Laugh.gif

Loraxp
June 4th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Eleni (and any other potential self groomers),

I am a professional dog groomer and would like to offer a few tips to assist you in your efforts...

1) Shampoo your dog 2X. You should use a tearless dog shampoo on their faces (I test it in my own eyes to help make sure it IS tearless). Blow dry him/her if you have a cool-air dryer (the warm can dry out their skin too much).

2) Invest in a conditioning spray (my fav. is "Show Sheen" - made for horses, but works great for dogs! - it detangles, repels dirt, helps prevent matting, and makes them SUPER SOFT. It can be diluted 1:1 with water, applied and rubbed in while the dog is still damp).

3) Ensure the dog is DRY before clipping/scissoring. Damp hair will dull your blades very quickly and you don't get a good cut.

4) Brush out your dog well before clipping. It takes a bit of time but saves the clippers trouble. Metal combs are great for getting rid of knots and tufts of hair.

5) While clipping use a slicker brush to back comb the fur. This allows a more even groom. Go over many times to ensure it's even.

6) Even with guards on any clipper you can cut a dog easily. Common places for catching skin are:
- Ears
- Lips
- Armpits/Legpits
- Back of hind legs
- Scrotums/Vulvas
- Anus
Take LOTS of care grooming all areas, but LOTS of EXTRA care when grooming these specific areas!!! Vet bills from accidental snips can be much more expensive than a professional groom!

If you nic (nic = tiny cut/scratch) an ear be prepared for a TON of bleeding that is hard to stop. Lots of pressure for quite a while, and some skin glue (i.e., "Dermabond") may be required. Make sure you have all of the first aid stuff before starting to groom - better safe than sorry!

7) ALWAYS check the tempreature of the clipper blades on your wrist (like a baby bottle) to make sure you don't burn your dog.

8) Clip the nails then scissor the fur between the toes. Slicker the top of the feet backwards to expose more toe hair and scissor. Repeat slickering on top and bottom of feet to ensure all strays are caught.

9) Scissor around the anus/vulva/scrotum - you DO NOT want to catch the clippers here :eek: !

8) At the end of the groom check the dog's eyes to ensure there are no little hairs present to scratch their precious little eyeballs. Flush them with the saline solution you would use for flushing contact lenses.

I hope that this might help someone, or at least show a portion of the work involved in a very basic groom. Having the proper equiptment makes a HUGE difference. For a link to my fav. pet supply company contact me!

(sorry for my poor spelling - my life for a spell-check option! ;) )

Cactus Flower
June 4th, 2005, 01:39 PM
How very cool of you to post all of that, Loraxp! Maybe the mods will put these tips on their pet tip section.

I can certainly attest to some of what you've written (but trust it all, undoubtedly). The clippers getting hot, the trouble areas (Chloe still has hairy armpits! LOL), etc.

And now I am kicking myself for not using the HORSE DETANGLER/CONDITIONER that I had in with my dog supplies!!! I use it on Raj as a conditioner (it is "leave-in")- it makes her so soft and shiny. It's called "Cowboy Magic". A little goes a long way,too. I love the stuff.
I also use horse shampoo and conditioner on her for her bath. They have a lot of natural ingredients- including something pepperminty, which is very soothing to her skin.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all of these tips. I know you also tried to help on my thread about Chloe. I think it's great that you're not stingy with your professional advice.

MollysMommy
June 4th, 2005, 03:55 PM
(Chloe still has hairy armpits! LOL)

That's hilarious!! Definitely laughed out loud at that one. I can just picture your dog all bald except for hairy armpits and tail...

doggy lover
June 4th, 2005, 06:23 PM
thanks for the new pic CF she is looking better, I'm still giggling though.

Loraxp
June 5th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Thanks CactusFlower, I'm glad that you got something out of my post.

I really do not understand people who hoard information that could help others. If something I wrote saves a critter some discomfort then I spent my time well typing the post! :pawprint:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Loprax that post on grooming was excellent I would like to attempt the grooming part myself for my English Cocker (that I do not have yet) I am definately going to print out your post when it gets to be close to that time. :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 5th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Loraxp . oops sorry for the name misspelling :rolleyes: